Hello first post here!

I haze a 12' zodiac futura, 15hp two stroke,

we would really like to launch at kilby and head up to harrison lake,

is my boat enough to make it there??

please let me know!

·
Registered
265 Posts
You may have a few low spots to get through. Zodiac will make it just watch the skeg on your motor. We used to run the entire Harrison river every fall getting eagle pics.

Reactions: Kudu

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello first post here!

Boat is more then enough to make it up to the lake. Please keep in mind some sections of the river is only 4-5 feet in areas. Also with the water still being high you can not tell where the main channel is unless you've run this river before. I would suggest going with someone who has been up the river before or at least have a depth sounder to keep an eye on the bottom.

One pointer.... stay closer to the log booms then the oppostise side of the river (this is where barges tie up logs so is deeper) also where the power lines runs across the river stay to the right going up, don't go inside the bay where the docks/cabins are but run straight up on the right side. There is a small water front section for sale right there on the right corner. Follow this line up towards the next bend. It looks like a giant lake to your left but it is all mainly 4 feet deep with even shallower sections. Seen numerous lake boats go ripping through here and i just grit my teeth waiting for an accident to happen. Also reccommended is polarized sunglasses, helps to see the tips of the bars that are starting to show up on each corner. Theres a knarly one once you go past the highway bridge and make your first left turn around the island and shore on right.

Again would suggest going with someone who knows, or have a depth sounder, or follow other boats (not necessarily the big jets cuz theyll run corners and areas props wont) also just go slow heading up and will give you a better idea when coming down.

On the last stretch stay right then when the river bends left to go up into the lake make sure to stay on the far left until your actually into the lake, seen a few close calls over the years of boats running tight to the right side coming into the lake. Also just beacuse Harrison seems like a massive lake does not mean there aren't shallow spots. I know a spot out in the middle where you can get out and walk in knee deep water. From afar looks like it would be hundreds of feet deep.

Hope this helps... probably some more experienced ppl on here who can chime in. FYI i've only ever owned a fiberglass and run this all time time with an outboard prop. So it can be done safely if you know where your going.

Reactions: jfortin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello first post here!

Boat is more then enough to make it up to the lake. Please keep in mind some sections of the river is only 4-5 feet in areas. Also with the water still being high you can not tell where the main channel is unless you've run this river before. I would suggest going with someone who has been up the river before or at least have a depth sounder to keep an eye on the bottom.

One pointer.... stay closer to the log booms then the oppostise side of the river (this is where barges tie up logs so is deeper) also where the power lines runs across the river stay to the right going up, don't go inside the bay where the docks/cabins are but run straight up on the right side. There is a small water front section for sale right there on the right corner. Follow this line up towards the next bend. It looks like a giant lake to your left but it is all mainly 4 feet deep with even shallower sections. Seen numerous lake boats go ripping through here and i just grit my teeth waiting for an accident to happen. Also reccommended is polarized sunglasses, helps to see the tips of the bars that are starting to show up on each corner. Theres a knarly one once you go past the highway bridge and make your first left turn around the island and shore on right.

Again would suggest going with someone who knows, or have a depth sounder, or follow other boats (not necessarily the big jets cuz theyll run corners and areas props wont) also just go slow heading up and will give you a better idea when coming down.

On the last stretch stay right then when the river bends left to go up into the lake make sure to stay on the far left until your actually into the lake, seen a few close calls over the years of boats running tight to the right side coming into the lake. Also just beacuse Harrison seems like a massive lake does not mean there aren't shallow spots. I know a spot out in the middle where you can get out and walk in knee deep water. From afar looks like it would be hundreds of feet deep.

Hope this helps... probably some more experienced ppl on here who can chime in. FYI i've only ever owned a fiberglass and run this all time time with an outboard prop. So it can be done safely if you know where your going.

Thanks,

i think ill giveit a try, if i go slow and keep my eyes peeled, i should do okay, dont have anyone to go with, so ill have to wing it

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only thing I ill add is that if you take your time and watch for the bottom you will have no problems on the way up, coming back there is a very strong current to this river and by the time you see bottom its to late.. again take your time time and even put the motor on shallow draft.

Biggest problem you will have is Kilby launch during Sockeye season (gong show and crowded) go early.

One of the nicest rivers around

·
Registered
125 Posts
Map Ecoregion Graphics software Urban design Technology look on google earth, it shows roughly where the main channel is. Red line i've drawn is an estimted route, yellow = low spots, green is some bars starting to show if i can remember from the other week and trying to coordinate them onto google so will be off but they are out there. You'll see once you get going. Where the natives have their boats, totes and gear on the left once you get past the water measuring station youll want to run almost center of the river. Top of this section youll already see a tree sitting about 100' from the right shore mid river. This is the bar that will show up once the water drops. Stay left of this

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello first post here!

please let me know!
The river is high right now, (big jet boats cruising up and down all day long) don't worry about smacking the bottom - parking at Kilby is $10 don't forget to pay and leave the slip on your dash.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If going up to Harrison Lake is too risky for your small boat, perhaps use it during the coho season at the Chehalis mouth. You will still launch at Kilby. Spinning for coho should be very good before fall rain floods the river.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The river is high right now, (big jet boats cruising up and down all day long) don't worry about smacking the bottom - parking at Kilby is $10 don't forget to pay and leave the slip on your dash.
Its high in a few spots but quite low before and after the long run of pilings in the middle of the river. Took my boat down from harrison and had to go pretty slow in a couple of areas as it was only 3-5ft deep. If your going slow enough and are ready to trim you should be o.k. Just don't do what i did last year and lose track of time while fishing and trying to navigate back while the sun is setting :(

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sounds like you had a good day. Where did you touch bottom? It can be surprising around Morris slough area how shallow it is how far out. A giant beach, just under water.

When I first bought my boat and started exploring the Harrison, it was in late March, early April which is about the lowest point throughout the year height wise. Although it was very, very shallow is parts, it was great for learning where the channels are as well as the location of gravel bars, pilings and deadheads that at other times of the year are sitting just underwater and can cause a lot of damage if you don't see them until it is too late. Its amazing how low that river can be at certain times of year, while at others it looks almost like a vast lake.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sounds like you had a good day. Where did you touch bottom? It can be surprising around Morris slough area how shallow it is how far out. A giant beach, just under water.

When I first bought my boat and started exploring the Harrison, it was in late March, early April which is about the lowest point throughout the year height wise. Although it was very, very shallow is parts, it was great for learning where the channels are as well as the location of gravel bars, pilings and deadheads that at other times of the year are sitting just underwater and can cause a lot of damage if you don't see them until it is too late. Its amazing how low that river can be at certain times of year, while at others it looks almost like a vast lake.
Yes that Morris slough area can be very deceiving. I took the one and only boat I ever bought brand new up there once and had a run in with a sunken log in that very area. It scared the s**t out of me and I got very lucky with no damage but talk about lesson learned. The bottom is mostly sand though but it is like under water dunes with high and low spots. The map on this thread shows pretty much exactly where you want to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.