BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as others have reported this year was a little different from years past in that most of the fish we found holding in the middle of the system from Hirsh creek and above. We started by drifting Cable car down on tuesday, we hooked a few chum and pinks, and severly drowned a few hotshots backtrolling to no avail. Later that evening we had decided to float from Sawmill down until we had our neighbours inform us of a tragedy that had taken place earlier in the day just below Nalbeelah creek. Apparently a family (husband, wife and two kids) had set out from Sawmill in a canoe and had taken the wrong chanel and were swept into a large impassable logjam and capsized. The husband was able to locate and bring the children to shore, the wife never surfaced, and to date has not been located to my knowledge. Having my fourteen year old son and his friend with me, I elected to avoid that section of river while search and rescue continued there search. The search continued daily for the duration of our trip so we were content on drifting Cable car. We did however spend a couple of days at the Powerlines and found some fantastic action, there was good numbers of springs, chum and pinks caught both above and below the area. The one morning spent on a run and was into a dozen very clean chum on my spey rod when I hooked into a large coloured up spring that took off back to the chuck and left me with a four piece rather than the three piece rod I had started with :pissed:. On a couple of mornings we drove the short trek back to the Terrace area to see if the sockeye numbers had began to increase with the commercial closure that week, the first day we only had a handfull of fish including a couple of jack-springs. However by the weekend the fishing was the best I have seen for that time of year. People up and down the bar were hooking sockeye and in the short time we spent on the Skeena I saw half a dozen beautiful steelhead and even a few silver chinook (although non were on my fly :wallbash:). Well I am back to work now for a week then heading out to my trailer at Cluculz lake for a week, during which I will be gearing up for the anticipated record coho return. Even the steelhead numbers are way above the ten year average and show huge improvements over the last couple of years, lets just hope that the commercial is shut down sooner than later so the fish can make it back this year. September dreaming in August.
Cheers Bill

·
Registered
409 Posts
Here is a few shots from last week, I will post more once I get the pics from the rest of the guys.

My buddy Chris (newly transplanted from Newfoundland) with his first BC salmon, a Skeena sock. He told me that this sock fought better than any atlantic salmon he had ever caught, a couple days later he hooked his first chinook and was speechless. :)

Early morning shot on the Kitimat.

My sons friend Cole and a Kitimat pink that wasn't far from the grill.

There is more pics just not on my camera.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.