BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know DFO's predictions for chum/pink/chinook for 2008 on the Kitimat River. I hope it will be decent i'm heading there last week of July hopefully some fresh chums/pinks will be rolling in with a few springs in decent numbers.

Any reports would be nice to see. I will post a good one when i return in August.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Should be a good run of larger springs this year, last years was an excellent run of 4 year nooks and usually is a good indicator that the following year will be a larger return of five year fish, the hogito's. I haven't heard any estimates on the chum run, hopefully it will get back to how it used to be, the last couple of years the runs have been rather lack lustre in comparison. Pinks are always good on the Kitimat, every year there is never a problem getting into them. As Noel and Ron have posted in there reports the run is looking a little late this year, and water levels were pretty low for this time of year, so it is a wait and see right now. I will be out there from the 20th - 30th of July on the Mat, are you bringing a boat? I will have some toons and my driftboat up there if you want to join in on a drift or two. I am going to make a quick primer trip up there the first week of July for a couple days to fish Kitwonga and the Lakelse down by the confluence with the Skeena, I will probably scope out the Mat while I'm there and I will let you know what I find out.

Bill

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info. yes i've been checking noel's reports for years now, not a bad indicator. drifting would be insane maybe we might end up in the same campsite and we could exchange some good info and get some commando tactics going ha!. i usually fish across from the hatchery at high tide it can be an amazing highway of fish comming by you for a few hours before and after slack. especially pinks in near shore on the fly. no flossing needed those fish are fresh, unspooked and will take aswell as steelhead... i'm so pumped. i'll also be fishing the morice for chinook that week its a tough river to fish unless you know your spots and I only fish it C&R. Theres something special about beautiful 100% natural (non hatchery) run of huge chinook that average in 25 - 30 lbs. I'm buying a digital camera to get it all documented O0

·
Registered
120 Posts
I will be out there from the 20th - 30th of July on the Mat, are you bringing a boat? I will have some toons and my driftboat
Bill [/quote]

Im headin out on the 25th, have till BC day off.

Meeting the owners of NTF there and a buddys comin out for a few days, we'll be floatin in the pontoons ( and scouting for my Griz draw :happy: ). I think they'll all be gone by Tues, so if your still around we should get together for a float. Will probably go up to the skeena for some Sox and hopefully tie into a kalum hog and hopefully get a chance for a day or 2 on the Salt.

I havent had a day off in soooooooo long, I CANT WAIT!!!

Kitimat & Skeena in late July/early Aug = Awesome Fishing

·
Registered
409 Posts
Heading out Monday morning, will probably camp out at eithor Big Spruce bar on the upper end or over between the Pumphouse and Hatchery. Basically wherever I can get a plot with easy driftboat takeout access close. Probably won't drift Monday, but Tuesday AM I will be launching @ Sawmill, I have my sons friend coming up for a few days so we will likely pulls some plugs and find where the fish are hanging out. Then I'll start swinging the spey for some nookies once I get them into a few :happy:. I will be driving a white F350 dually and have a dark blue driftboat named "Roe-Boat" and a couple of toons in tow.

Bill

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey guys........HAve fun on the 'mat!...Wish I was with you. I love it up there in the summer...I think if the river stays stable, you should find some pretty decent fishing in the area...Hey Curtis....It's been a few years, but I still havn't forgotton our drift and your generosity....Good luck out there, my friend. Hey Bill.......go git 'em...........hopefully see you in the fall.....Ortho 8)

·
Registered
409 Posts
You bet Ortho, just let me know when your coming buddy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When you headin back up Robert? I have a grizzly draw there this fall, may go back in Sept if not, then definetly Oct 3rd for several days ( Moose is open for archery 1st week of Oct ). Planning on floatin the river, catchin some ho's and hopeully find a nice Grizz (there's way too many out there).

Hey PGBilly, I'll be camped @ big spruce. Drive a '03 Chev ext cab (pewter) and a pioneer travel trailer. Will also be a red Ford :pissed: there with me for a few days. If you cant find me that way, just look for the guy that always has a fish on! :beerchug:

So excited i cant even get into work this week

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Likely in September......I have lots of flexibility and might drive up with my 'toon prior to the Dragon Lake trip in October. Depends when the fish show...If they are there, then I will be right behind........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
120 Posts
i heard the fish are already starting to show in spurts. Suppose to be a really good run this year, and they just opened the Skeena & some tribs up over a month early for retention ( effective today, usually Sept 1st )

Alot of sockeye too, over 100,000 a day.......except when commerial boys are out, then it seems to slip quite a bit :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.