BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From CBC.ca:

Four European tourists sport fishing on the Fraser River in Agassiz, B.C., got more than they bargained for this week when they were confronted by an angry man wielding a knife, CBC News learned through an online fishing forum.

The tourists — three from Germany and one from Denmark — were fishing with a river guide on the shore of Ferry Island on Wednesday afternoon, the first day of their vacation, when their fishing lines got tangled in a drift net that was coming down the river with a fishing boat.

Chilliwack RCMP Const. Leanne Dunlop said the man was intoxicated and took issue with the fact that the tourists were fishing on the river.

Originally police said in a written statement that "the male drifting down the river with a drift net engaged in a verbal altercation with the tourist," but Dunlop later clarified that the tourists did nothing to provoke the incident.

"That person in that boat beached his boat and an altercation [between] the tourist and the male escalated to the point where a knife was produced and threats were uttered."

The fishing guide eventually persuaded the angry fisherman to get back in his boat without hurting anyone.

A 34-year -old man from the Sto:lo nation was later arrested and released by police. The unidentified man is scheduled to appear in Chilliwack Provincial Court at a later date to face charges of assault with a weapon and uttering threats.

The RCMP said incident does not appear to have anything to do with the ongoing tensions between native and non-native fishermen over access to the declining number of fish in the Fraser River.

"This particular incident doesn't appear early indications to be at all directly related to any of the history with the Fraser Valley region or with fishing. It appears at this time in our investigation … we're dealing with an individual who took exception to the fact that some fishing lines got tangled in his net," said Dunlop.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
hmmm, let's see

Boating while intoxicated, public intoxication, threats with a deadly weapon, use of a deadly weapon in the commission of an offence.....

2 months probabtion.

I'm glad the tourists and their guide kept a level head. Hopefully this will not change their opinion of our great province.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The last post was weird ???.

That Ferry island always seems to be a contentous one, I gave up bar fishing there cause of the drifters, they would drift down with some serious nasty stink eye going on, enough for me to fish one of the hundred other spots available.

It should be noted that Ferry island is band land and thats where alot of the tension arises from, but the knife dude needs help though, probably more than the usual "talking to".

I would be very interested following where this story goes and the "legal" outcome, because if I pulled a blade on someone it would be clinker time GUARANTEED.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
You watch, the way our justice system works is all his attorney has to say is he had a terrible childhood. He will get a one year suspended sentence, then a public apology from the government for dragging him into court.

Now if it was you and me we would still be in custody and then sent for a psychological evaluation which would say we where fine and then charge us with everything they could think of. They would give us the maximun because of the severity of the incident and the goverment would make a media release stating that they are coming down hard on individuals that use weapons in a crime.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
flyguy said:
You watch, the way our justice system works is all his attorney has to say is he had a terrible childhood. He will get a one year suspended sentence, then a public apology from the government for dragging him into court.

Now if it was you and me we would still be in custody and then sent for a psychological evaluation which would say we where fine and then charge us with everything they could think of. They would give us the maximun because of the severity of the incident and the goverment would make a media release stating that they are coming down hard on individuals that use weapons in a crime.
Thats sad but true........... :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
I'm glad the tourists and their guide kept a level head. Hopefully this will not change their opinion of our great province.
Me too. You would not believe the bravado and 'if that happened to me I would have...' going around the net. It's amazing what people will say hiding behind their computer.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hopefully no one (especially the authorities) loses sight of the fact that this was a very serious crime...regardless of the background of the person who commited it. This person is dangerous, no matter what state of mind he was in...and I hope he gets prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
South Texas Salt said:
Arrested and released to come back to court. Sorry but this is very hard for us to understand from South of the border. Have him try this in Texas or Mexico..........Salt.
It wouldn't get this far. They would have shot him, LOL.

"Never bring a knife to a gun fight"
- someone famous.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Chromekiller said:
Most likely he will do no jail time just probation and be prohibited from owning a weapon if not allready
:wallbash: .
The laws in Canada only protect the criminal.
Actually they were made to protect the innocent from over zealous cops, judges, lawyers etc. Have you not heard the statement, "Innocent until proven guilty?" Unfortunately all too often there is injustice because this world is not perfect and never will be. I am not defending him by any means, he needs help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.