BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this topic has surfaced before but I have not had the opportunity to view such replies.

Anyway, I have used the improved cinch knot on my flies, jigs and wool presentations forever. Recently I have been fooling around with the Trilene Knot and the George Harvery Knot. Both these knots are said to be stronger than the Improved Cinch.

Any thoughts related to these knots or other knot's I should invetigate.

Cheers
flatlander

· Registered
45 Posts
Sometimes I use the palomar but usually its the Uni-knot. it doesn't slip like the clinch will, but on occasion will use a clinch, just have to double check it to ensure it wont slip on me

· Registered
501 Posts
I've used the trilene knot since started fishing,never had problems with it,but I try to avoid when using realy thin leader like six pound test and under,dosen't seem to work the best.

· Registered
40 Posts
the orvis knot is quite easy to tie and the strongest for breaking strength on any type of line mono or flouro braid I'm not sure I've never tried.
Orvis had a contest for the strongest possible knot ,this one won then they named it the ORVIS knot.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
This discussion comes up quite often, and I am just curious. We all know different knots are rated at different strengths, but how many of you have had your leader actually break at the knot, (you can tell by the sharp little bend at the end of your leader) and how often does this occur. I really wonder which is more important, the strength of the knot, or the speed and ease that you can tie it.

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Personally I believe there is always going to be that final cinch pressure or tention between the
hook, knot and leader. I realize the multiple wraps around the shank are to allow greater holding
power but ultimately the tention is transferred to the area of most resistance... :2cents:

Hopefully someone will enlighten otherwise it will be the ease of use for me.

:beerchug: Marko

· Registered
84 Posts
as far as cinch or improved cinch goes, I truly believe the regular cinch knot seems to be stronger if you haven't tied the improved perfectly. I find the imporoved cinch has let go or broken right at the knot more often than the Cinch and for that reason I have gone back to the cinch rather than the improved.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all for your responses...very interesting. I've done some Googling and for sure Grog's is great. Also Orvis and Lefty Kreh have some good stuff. So what's the end of all this:

For me for now...

1. Mono to Braid.... Alberto's Knot......used for some time now and is great...never a problem
2. Tippet to Fly....George Harvey knot...new for me..will give it a try this Spring...Lefty Kreh recommendation
3. Mono to Hook...Will try the Trilene knot...new for me but will also work with the Orvis knot.
4. Tippet to leader...As always the only way to go for me is the Surgeons Knot
5. If and when I use Egg's/Wool...the Egg Loop Knot forever.

Cheers
flatlander

· Registered
37 Posts
Green_Comet said:
... it is a good idea to always lubricate your mono line well at the knot location with saliva before you tie the knot to help ease friction and avoid line stress.

Cheers
G_C
G_C, I have a question. I recall being told once not to moisten my line when using mono because it swells when it gets moist so the knot won't tighten properly. On the other hand, fluoro line shrinks when it gets wet so it is better to get it wet before tying. It seems to make sense to always moisten to keep the knot from beating itself it up. I dunno, ussually my hands are wet anyway when tying knots in mono. Thoughts?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.