BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More specifically, the %#@#$^##[email protected] nail knot! :wallbash:

I received an inexpensive 6wt combo kit for Xmas as my foray into fly fishing begins, and I'm trying to attach my leader to the WF6F line but the leader doesn't want to cooperate. As most mono does, it has a "spring" to it that doesn't want to settle properly. This knot is bone-easy to tie with 2 pieces of string but when you involve fishing line, for some reason it doesn't want to behave for me.

Does anyone have a "trick" they use or could recommend another knot which will serve my purpose? (I'm thinking about using a surgeon's knot instead)

Cheers,
Sean.

· Registered
691 Posts
i bought the little red fishing knots book and found it to be :thumbup: the other knot you could try is a blood knot,if your gonna try the nail knot again try using a small tube(kids drink straws on package)it seems to work not to bad hope this helps. :cheers:

scruffy

· Banned
2,854 Posts
dont forget you can also use the "albright knot" they used this when attaching tip loops to my Rio tips. I also use this to attach my leaders as i make my own tapered leaders. havent had one break yet :thumbup:

I have been told that with the nail knot and blood knot you cant go from a heavier line(25lb mono) to a lighter (8lb mono) you haver to have more of a closer transition say only a few lbs difference. keeping that in mind if your attaching a peice of mono to your fly line try using say 25 or 30lb but only like a 10" long peice and then tie your leaders off that getting smaller with each section (2-4feet long) sometimes i do longer sections if i need to get even deeper with chronies.

hope that helps a bit

HOOK

P.S. you could also go to the fly shop and get a knot tying device

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. I knew I could count on you!! :thumbup:

I've been attempting the nail knot all day, using the "tube" from a hollowed out pen and it just wouldn't work (I even cut it shorter with my Dremel thinking it was too long :confused:). Next I'm going to try using the straw off a drink box. Baring failure on that, I'm going to try the albright knot...it seems a bit easier to tie IMO (that's just based off the animations though....which made the nail knot look easy as well LOL)

I was in Gone Fishing yesterday and I did see the knot tying tool you mentioned, Hook; but I'm not paying $11 for it lol....maybe as a Fathers Day gift for the BC Fishing Weekend :happy:

· Registered
691 Posts
If you can get out to the Jan 1st Vedder get to gether, I got a spare nailknot tool you can have. I prefer a nail knot to tie on the first section of leader, then use a surgeons knot to attach a tapered leader to that section.

Just a note, it's best to tie a 2ft section of say 25lbs mono to the flyline first. Then tie your leaders on to that section with the surgeons knot. Not only does it help turn over flies, it also stops you from having to cut off a section of fly line everytime you tie on new leaders.

· Registered
787 Posts
from my sink tip i tie on a 12 inch peice of 20 pound test maxima, nail knott one end to the sink tip , then the other end i trim it down so it only about 6 inchs long total, on the other end i tie a perfection loop. with my leaders i tye another perfection loop and put the 2 loops together , fast easy way to change your leaders, and its strong, i landed a nice steelie today and it worked out perfect

· Banned
2,854 Posts
I do the same thing you do Jamie using the Double Surgeons knot on the end of my fly line or tip sections then start my leaders of with one which makes changing leaders (when frayed or broken) alot faster and saves the fly line itself. I havent had to cut my fly line yet!! :thumbup:

· Registered
3,796 Posts

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All great advice guys, thanks again!

After watching the Youtube video of the knot tool, I purchased one :thumbup: I did manage to tie a good albright knot last night and I'm happy with it for now but I'll be practicing with the tool over the next couple of days. I'm also going to practice the nailess nail knot as well. The line that came with my kit is an L6F, NOT the WF6F I thought it was, so I don't mind trimming it for every knot I tie. I'll be stripping it off anyway.

I like the idea of tying on 12-24" of 20lb mono to the end of the fly line...at the price of fly line I don't want to be buying a new one every year.

So much to learn! I'm sure I'm going to look like an idiot practicing my casting in the local park LOL.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
If you are just starting out, ditch the level line and buy a weight forward line. Doesn't have to be the most expensive, you can get away for about $30-40. A level line is just a pain to try and learn on.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
professori said:
If you are just starting out, ditch the level line and buy a weight forward line. Doesn't have to be the most expensive, you can get away for about $30-40. A level line is just a pain to try and learn on.
That's my plan. I found a good deal on some SA WF6F line for $20.00 and 9ft leaders for $2.00 :happy:

AND after using the Tie-Fast tool, I tied my first successful nail knot in under 20 seconds :thumbup: This tool will never leave my side!!

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After a trip to Campbell River today, I was wandering through Zellers (of all places) and found the knot tying tool, attached to a zinger.....for $7.59. It's a different tool than the one I purchased the other day. This one is made from black anodized aluminum and is precisely engineered.

Needless to say, I now have two of these tools in my box :thumbup:

· Registered
691 Posts
Hilarious, I usually buy one or two a season, can never remember where I put the dang things :wallbash:

· Registered
452 Posts
Hilarious, I usually buy one or two a season, can never remember where I put the dang things
I wonder how many folks "put" them at the bottom of a lake or stream like I have been known to (before I got those springy colied holder things for my vest).

· Registered
35 Posts
I am getting back into fly-fishing and did a lot this year - I change leaders and tippets a lot as the tippet gets nicked - and sometimes with the sinking tip line depending on the weight of the fly I use a short or long leader - I do mostly Columbia River Fishing but also some lakes near Oliver and Kelowna - Anyhow I have found that having a loop on the leader works best for me (maybe not for the purists) and a loop can easily be added to the end of a fly line (It can even be tied but that is a very difficult not) The Rio loops can be glued in place and then the leader can be changed out quickly - make sure you have a reef knot appearance when joining loop to loop as it stays loose for the change out and does not cut itself - And I can make my own leaders and tie a loop to attach to the fly line loop - when the tippet or end of the leader gets short I add a section using a surgeons knot which is really simple - I think the standard surgeons uses two knots - when I am joining two pieces of leader material if a fairly significant different size and usually a different weight 15 pound to 6 pound I add a 3rd knot and massage it so it looks nice and holds well - The animated knots website is excellent for this - I usually try to taper the leaders down like 15 pound 12 pound 8 pound and maybe 6 pound for the tippet that I tie to the fly - I used to use those little clips to attach the fly but now prefer to retie often and whenever I change of course - I used to miss nicks in the line when I used the clips and when you hook up a nice fish and the leader breaks it is frustrating and expensive and unfair to the fish - It also took a while to catch some fish on the fly but after many hours of I guess paying your dues and practicing things seem to fall into place and you start hooking up fish - then you have to learn to land them

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess when it comes to knots, it's all personal preference. I like the tight look of the nail knot and I really don't mind spending a minute tying one, but I can definitely see how the loop would make things quicker; and who knows, I might end up using the loop in the future (especially if the bite is on).

As for leaders, everyone keeps saying it gets expensive to keep replacing them but I can't see myself spending any more than $20 on leaders/season. My fishing budget is extremely spousal restricted so I have to be very careful what I buy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.