BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have an opinion on a good,fair,try at your own risk lake in the lower mainland where i can try for kokanee?ive never targeted them before.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my opinion the best lower mainland lake for kok’s is Alouette Lake. Fast action from March till the crazy boaters knock you off the lake. Early/mid spring is best with green lures (size 0 needle fish are my fav) and as the spring progresses switch to ‘glo’ wedding ring spinners. Both baited with white corn for best success. The kok’s are in the 9 to 13 inch range.

I don’t much care for the jig’n krill fishery at Kakawa, kind of boring to me, but the kokanee are larger than in Alouette although I have never caught one reaching a pound there.

Jones lake… go for the cutts as in my experience the koks are few and small. I have heard many a tale of big ones there but never any pics!!

Silver lake has HUGE Kokanee (for the lower mainland) but I have fished there at least 10 times and caught 2, count’em 2, koks. One was almost a pound and a half!

I have had some ok success at Salsbury but I have not fished there in quite some time.

Fished Chilliwack only once.. Got skunked.

Stave is rumored to have koks but I never fished it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Stave has very few, but some get pretty big. Flies work great in alouette as well, I usually out fish the gear guys with a black wooly worm or a yellowish damsel on a fast sink line.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i decided on alouette.went up there fri. afternoon and the gates were locked at 2:00 in the afternoon.bad road conditions.probably couldnt get down the ramp anyway.good thing i was just going for a drive.last time i dragged my boat all the way out to weaver only to find a locked f***ing gate.took my boy to buntzen instead on sat.beautiful day.no luck but still had a great time.water was 40 deg.the boy had a couple bites but too slow on the set,but hees learning.first time using down riggers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts