BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the market for new wading boots, as my old hodgemans have been to hell and back and have definatly seen better times. Felts pretty much worn off and have had problems with the d-rings that the laces go through and some of the stitching is letting go. After looking around I decided to purchase a set of the korker guide boots. The boa lacing system and the interchangable soles are what really appealed to me and led me to go with them.

Used them today for the first time, and first impression is, I love them. Feel really light compared to my old boots and very very comfortable. I like how the boa laces tighten easily and evenly, and they are so easy to pop off after use. I like being able to have the felt soles on at the river but can swith in the rubber soles when I am in the boat and not wading rocks at the river. I will probably pick up a set of the studded felt for use when steelhead fishing in the winter.

First impressions are good, will update in a few months after many miles.

Has anyone tried the kling on soles? I doubt they would be better that felt while wading but look like they could be a decent dual purpose sole for wading and hiking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use them exclusively now...and change felts between rivers. Very functional product, indeed...I reported yesterday (in a different thread 'Vibram Soles') that the occurrence of Didymo (aka rock snot) will force us to change our boots in due time, but that my experience with the new vibram soles was very poor. I see Korkers as a true viable alternative to transferring rock snot amongst river systems.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Tried them. Hated them. Sold them (give away) for 25 clams.
Boa system failed 3 times. Lost several sets of soles. Soles do not go to the edge of the boot causing unstable wading in extreme conditions - caused no less than 3 swims. Found their support to be right lacking, did not return calls / Emails. Went to a new set of Chota's, no turning back.

As always, your mileage may vary. If you are not an Extremist in wading, they will likely suffice. If you happen to be one of those, STAY AWAY!

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
As always, your mileage may vary. If you are not an Extremist in wading, they will likely suffice. If you happen to be one of those, STAY AWAY!
As NOG pointed out.
Talked with a guide I know when I was pondering them and he said basically the same thing.
They're a good idea but if you get out a lot, bushwack (I don't mean: walk trails) they might not be the best choice and best to take an extra set of soles when you're out

Having said that, Pacific angler has some soles for them on sale (didn't pay attention to which ones and don't know the sizes) 40% off something like that? noticed that the other day.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The korkers only down side seem to be the given up surface area of the felts. And its a pain in the neck to switch the soles in and out. Although the boots seem to be really put together well. BNF861 I would love to hear your report down the road. I'd really like to know if that wire holds up.

Dont buy the Chotas!

Snapped the lace on my right one, so did a friend of mine, and those new eco friendly "felts" are garBAGE. Been surfing on the bed rock way too many times.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well I went and bought a pair of Korkers Chrome 2011, and they are the best boot I've ever worn. The support is awsome, the boa system is the best thing to happen to wading boots, and sooooo comfortable!! The felt goes all the way to the edges except for the first inch of boot at the front where the sole plugs into. I went fishing in the river with the felt and found that I had to get my ballance again on account of the great support, then went home picked up my boat and in a simple change over to the cling-on bottom sole. So easy. We'll see how long they last.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.