BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going up to Oliver on the long weekend for a quick trip. Was thinking of
fishing somewhere Saturday on the way probably stay over night Sat.
head to oliver Sunday. Leaving from Coquitlam, which place should i go.

I will be driving an Escape (4wd supposedly) and probably bring an small
inflatable dingy . How are the roads around Thalia ? its been at least 10 years
since i've been in there had a F250 4x4 then, can the Escape handle that road
nowadays ?

any input appreciated

GMason

·
Registered
54 Posts
We were up over Pike mtn in November. The road didn't seem any different than it was 10 years ago. We stopped at Thalia for a pit stop. You should have no problem in your Escape.

Gord

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, i am leaning towards Thalia myself.
Now i can't make up my mind which way to go, the Coq via Merritt & Aspen Grove,
Hope/Princeton, or Coq. via Brookmere. Guess i should play it safe, go with what you know.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So, just got back from Thalia lake group from my fishing/exploring trip. Left 6 am Sat. arrived at Thalia South
rec site at 10:20 aftera few detours(my maps are more up to date now). Was on the lake by 11 ,
fished til 1 with no luck, dragging a Dragon Fly,a Leech(black)and a pumkinhead(guy on a pontoon caught 1 on one)
on my spinning reel behind my 2 man dingy. After lunch went out for 2 more hours,
even tried a bobber and a worm, no fishto the boat but did get a hit on the pumpkinhead.
After a late afternoon wind and light shower was on the lake again around 7Pm, pretty quiet for first 1HR,
but got a good hit on the pumpkinhead lost it around 10 ft from the boat
( forgot to set the tension properly since last time i used same rod). Circled around a couple of times no luck,
was at far end of lake so started back for camp, got another hit , lost this one as i tried to tail it next to
the boat( no net travelling light). No I am getting pissed& frustrated (lack of planning and execution),
about 50 ft from my campsite stop rowing to wind in.... get a bite land a 12" rainbow with a
nice depth to it, bonk its dinner, its around 9:30 PM now.
other guys on the lake were also getting some fish at this time.

Drove into Lodewick, Rickey and Kump also on the Sunday to look around, could have camped at any of
those sites as lots of spotsavailable, strange for a long weekend but it is mid summer.
Will have to go back in late Sept.

The roads were not too bad, i could see where there is usually decent puddles but not to many big potholes,
there was actually a couple of cars up there, and a motorhome at Kump.

GMason

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good report GMason. Our neighbours were up on top there on Tues - Thurs or so. They camped at Ricki and said they were the only ones there. They had no boat and fishing from shore was not successful. He said the water temp was about 70F.

So your Escape handled the road no problem?
On a completely off topic note, what kind of mileage do you get with the Escape? We are looking to get a new vehicle of this style.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Farmer
Funny you ask about the mileage, I actually wrote it down. I had a full tank when i left Coquitlam
and when i got to Princeton i put in $31 gas @ about $1.05 /L , and i figure it was 240 K.
Alltogether i figure I put on close to 800K round trip Coquitlam to Oliver including hitting the Kump area
and going up to Madden outside Oliver. and when i was in Hope filled up again, spent $90 total on gas
that is.I admit i was probably speeding at times. Its a 2001 V6 with 4WD.
Gmason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts