BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are in no particular order....and as I looked through my pics I really didn't take all that many pics of fishing/fish?!?

But anyhow; here is the synopsis....fishing was pretty good when we could get offshore but the fish weren't of any real substantial size. We did get some hali's on the troll as well as plenty of teenage springs in the 10-22ish pound range. I had the young 'un demco99 with us on the trip as well.

So here goes.....

To get started; my GF thought it was pretty cool driving a float plane over the road. I kinda missed out on the excitement but she wanted a pic.

And we were off.....leaving the muddy "Salish Sea" waters behind and on to the waters of the WCVI.

I'll say it every time I fly over the Island; it is a pretty beautiful place. I spend a fair bit of time over there for work but when you are running around Vic, Nanaimo etc you kinda forget about this part.

And the scenery changes as you get closer to the coast.

And....coming into Kyuquot.

This is a shot or two of "home" for the next week.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We didn't waste much time and got out for an evening fish.....this guy came to the boat in pretty short order and was needed as there a few meals that were to be "fish" of some kind or another.

Up early the next morning as we were all pretty anxious to get out as the winds were calm and the skies beautiful

There was a lot of trash talking between those of us using "flashers and rigs" vs a friend and an NHL'er and their "cut pluggin".

Here is the plugger doing his arts and crafts.

And so the fishing was "on".

And the Hardy's at work....one side for a plug, one for my set up and one top water line; just for the hell of it.

ANd it didn't take long for my GF to "assume the fighting stance".

And a smiley for her to start the day.

And here she is giving demco a lesson on cleaning fish....ha ha.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty sure demco borrowed a few fish from my boat for this shot.

A few happy people.

Myself gettin' to work.....I always wear the pink shirt on sunny days so people can tell where I am out there.

The obligatory Hawkins Cheezies which always seem to make it onto the boats in Kyuquot.

Here is demco playing guide for our "host"....note his techinical offshore gear.

And....he actually got her into fish!!

So the kid wanted to come out with "Senior"....so I showed him how we do a double header.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
We had great eats as well........this was a big dinner for about 10 of us that we whipped up.

We had a few excursions....this is from Hiast Island.

And our BIG excursion day up to the Brooks Peninsula.

Our guest of honor....good ole NHL boy was giving a wave to the fans.

The WCVI's answer to the crop circles of the prairies....."we are not alone".

Some shots of the beach once we got there......and it was HOT!!

And we had 3 visitors....that gave a couple of the crew a bit of a "wake up call" when they were out in the kayaks.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few more of the visitors once we got back out on the boats.

Comin' back home after a day at the "beach".

Snapped this one on the way home of my "new" set up which I was VERY happy with.

Here it is "at work".

demco got to take a spin one day as well....always laugh at the "numbers" on the plane.

The view from the "cigar lounge" after a long day.....getting buzzed by demco.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a last few shots at the end of the trip flyin' back.

Gettin' an aerial "lay of the land" for the next excursion with one of the members here.

And a last couple from Tuesday afternoon.

Great week with good friends, good fishing (numbers at least), good food in an absolutely spectacular area.

My apologies for there not being more fish pics.....I was too busy changing demco's diapers on the boat and reading bedtime stories to him when he was done with his colouring books.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hey Pippen.

Nice Pics, glad to see you had a great trip. I'm off to the Island for fishing at the end of next week. I'm not much of a picture taker so there won't be any photo journal posted like yours. Thanks for another great post.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Pippen it looks like a great trip, I hope I can get a bit of that this week end in Tofino. Was that a trophy tyee qr as your new setup, it looks like the one I have, what do you think, I really like mine.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was that a trophy tyee qr as your new setup, it looks like the one I have, what do you think, I really like mine.
Yup.....and I really, really like it. Takes a bit to get used to the drag which I found quite sensitive, but all in all I really enjoyed fishing it.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh ya.....the "report".

Lots and lots of teenager springs......heard of a few in the 30+ class caught generally on the evening fish in tight to the kelp beds. Member here told me of a ~48 that was caught where he was staying but all in all.....12-~24ish pounds. Picked hali's fairly easily if we were dragging the balls in the mud.

I still don't know why I buy gear before I go over there......I fished the same rig I have for the past 4 years....gold and silver flasher and a purple/chrome/black teaser head with anchovies or herring. I finally started dilly dallying around with different set ups when we were into plenty o' fish and had plugs, spoons, hoochies (blech!!) on the line and my same old "go to" out performed consistently.

Not too many coho around as compared to last year when they were a real pain.

Fishing mostly pretty deep out on the reef, but had some nice VERY scrappy fish take the hook off the riggers on the way down as shallow as ~50 feet.

Compared to 3 years ago.....when the fish were really hit and miss; I'll take plenty of hook ups on smaller springs vs. waiting hours and working EVERYWHERE to find the odd one in the mid to high 20's. I prefer to fight the big uns but when you are playing "guide".....it's nice to keep the people busy as opposed to trying to sell the idea of "staying out".

·
Registered
139 Posts
Great posts, Pippen. Thanks for these.

In stark contrast, I fished Hole in the Wall this evening for a couple of hours and got zilch. Sigh.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thank you sir for taking the time to take such great photos. Truly a great week you had. I have lived on the Island my whole life and it still amazes me how beautiful it is. Thanks for sharing:).

·
Registered
233 Posts
The picture where you are scouting "the lay of the land". Can you tell me where that is. I can see some waves in the distance and as a surfer I am always scouting for potential!

Cheers

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The picture where you are scouting "the lay of the land". Can you tell me where that is. I can see some waves in the distance and as a surfer I am always scouting for potential!

Cheers
If you mean the 3rd last picture.....that is looking out of Nootka Sound.

·
Registered
157 Posts
nice pictures/ post Pippen, (say that 5 times fast lol )

vanislealoha...as Pippen said Nootka Sound,,,,
where your seeing those waves, that would look to be from Burdwood to Escalante Point/Rocks, and ya a normal day out there....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Right on. Thanks for the reply. I thought it might have been Nootka. I fished the north end of Nootka Island last year out of Zeballos. Great fishing. Am hoping to get the boat to Nootka sound this year for some fishing/exploring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts