BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out early tomorrow morning flying into Kyuquot.

Hoping to show up finaddict who is already over there and likely not catching any fish......yet. ;D

Hope to have some good stories, pics and reports. Going to be fishing and if weather permits doing a bit of exploring of Brooks Peninsula. :peace:

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update........spring fishing is mediocre thus far. Got close to spooled by the hardest "run" by a fish I have ever had. Have brought a few in the mid-teens but nothing to crazy. I am still missing the one that ran last night.......hit so hard it broke the clip off going to the chovie rig once it got about 200+++ yards. Must have bent the clip and when he got a bit of slack took off my chovie rig in tow.

Few springs in today but lots of hali's around and in the boat.

· Registered
15 Posts
As one who plans to visit Kyuquot and the Bunsby's with an ocean kayak, I would like to ask if you are you fishing for the salmon close to the islands or well off shore for the salmon and and halibut? Are you planning to get close to the Brooks Peninsula?

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gigahoo....

The salmon fishing is spotty, but we were able to get into some springs. The bulk of our success was offshore....about 13 miles and fishing DEEP. We were catching the few springs we managed dragging chovies at 180-220' in about 240 feet of water.

Having said that....we did get into springs/coho in the inside waters. There is an island called Spring Island and if you troll up the "west/northwest side" of it there were fish there. I tied into a big spring that hit hard as mentioned above around 40 feet off the rocks with my line down about 30 ft. If you are going to try....try early as the wind and swells have been blowing up by late morning and I don't think it would be all that comfortable in a kayak. The hali's seem to be everywhere but definitely in more "exposed" water and not really on the inside and protected waters.

We were fishing up towards Brooks but didn't get to explore too much as the wind was really blowing up hard in the afternoons and the option was "more fishing" or taking a sh*t kicking trying to run up there.

If you are fishing and you will likely be inshore take a look at the regs as you can't keep springs any larger than 77cm from one mile outside the surf line and inside of that.

I will say this though..........what an absolutely beautiful area. I will get some pics up in the next couple of days as I just got back late last night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.