BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. If anyone can pass along some guarded good advice, I'd really appreciate it. I'm just getting back into fly fishing...it's been almost 3 years since I've been out. New twin boys can have that affect. I'm heading to Lac le Jeune late June / early July. I'm taking with me a not yet converted bait fisherman. I've told him we are only using flies...that said, I would love some good advice on the best areas of this lake to fly fish. Where are the better spots, shoals, drop offs etc. We'll have tubes and maybe a boat. Being a large lake (for me), I'm hoping to save some kicking time and more quickly get to some good areas.

Also for fly patterns that time of year, I know the basics (hatches, staples, etc.); but was wondering if that particular lake has a unique fly pattern, technique that works well.

Thanks for any that are willing to help. (PS. - catch many, but only keep 1 per day is my style).

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was there last year with a group from another forum. They were catching lots of fish in or near the weeds right next to the camp site. In the evenings the hatches were amazing and some bigger fish were cruising the shoals.

If you are going to be trolling I would zig zag through that area (if no one is anchored, of course). Troll a pumpkin head, leaches, wooly buggers or doc spratley flies. I love trolling in my float tube. I find you get great action on the fly and the takes are pretty great! Working along drop offs and weaving among weed bunches always produce fish while fishing in a lazy kinda way. :)

You can also cast into the weeds with the same flies but include scuds (a trout wonder food) and of course dragon fly immitations.

Chronamid fishing was also good for those willing to figure out the secret. You can also dangle a micro leach under the indicator, especially if there is a bit of chop to give it some life.

Have fun, hope you all get into fish. :)

Tim...thinks it's time to go fly shopping himself....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have fished there a couple of times.My Brother in law has a cabin to the East(to the left looking out over the water) of the Provincial campsite. Just in front of his cabin is a small bay with a weed bed that the locals call "The Nursery", it has a lot of 10-12" fish but evenings can draw in some big lunkers.A little farther along are more private cabins and there are a couple of nice holes just 60 feet off shore from these. I am going up on the May long weekend and will get some pictures so you can see the landmarks we use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts