BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:It disgusts me to see what is happening on our rivers and to read about it on these sites. Over the years I have witnessed so much crap such as bottom bouncing with long leaders and and retaining fish for family members and such absolutely terrible treatment to fish which will be released[coho and even steelhead] Cant imagine that all these people are using barbless hooks not to mention the snagging and foul hooking and retaining. Where are the conservation officers????? Make the busts and fine and educate these people. I wont even get in :-Xto the eddicate side of things because there simply is none!!!I feel that I do not see fisheries often enough and do not get checked often enough it is a joke. Can something other than throwing fiery rage at these people be done?

·
Banned
935 Posts
i haven't seen a co in like 5 years to be honest i have never being asked to show my license and i fish allot whats up with that there need to be more enforcement out on the rivers come on Co's get cracking

·
Registered
50 Posts
I flyfished the Squamish yesterday and the local CO was pulling people over at the ashlu bridge checking licenses and for illegally retained salmon. He was writing someone a ticket (for what exactly I'm not sure) when we passed back down to leave well after sundown.

It was good to see for sure, I'm always a little dismayed at how many people are either unaware or ignorant of the regulations.

·
Registered
131 Posts
To say that its the CO's that arent doing anything is pretty ignorant... Im pretty sure they are not all just sitting around having coffee, it has more to do with how few of them their are and what a large mandate they cover... think of how many rivers in the area and rivers are only 1 of many jobs they have, bears, hunters ect.... you cant be in 100 places at once.... the issue is their needs to be way more of them... think about the big picture before we start slamming these guys...they are out there working everyday

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good point patagonia. I think it really is a numbers issue.

In my personal experience, every CO I've encountered has been thorough, concise, and quite pleasant, even the one that wrote me a ticket when I was a young and quite ignorant teenager!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Just because you don't see or get check by them doesn't mean their are not their and doing their job. Like its already been said these guys have a big area to cover and because you don't see them it's OK to slam them , :mad: I don't think so. Don't you think you should be slamming the government for not hiring more of them ??? I have dealt with a lot of C/O'S over the years and theirs is a thankless job. It's really gets me pissed when I read comments like the ones in this thread. If you guys think you can do a better job then maybe you should all apply and see how far you get or do your part and report any infraction you see like we are all suppose to do

·
Registered
784 Posts
I think the tone that was made in the original post was not meant to say that the current COs are sitting around doing nothing but that we don't have enough of them to police the waters effectively. 

·
Registered
151 Posts
COs in the valley get to run around chasing bears that frequent subdivisions where homes should never have been built in the first place...

During the summer and fall, there should be dedicated officers on fishing patrol.

If you want something changed, write a letter to Barry Penner.

Cheers,
Nicole

·
Banned
935 Posts
hey now i never said they arent doing there job i jsut said i havent seen one in five years and i fish alot and i mean alot

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is the province short on CO's .... :hmmm: ....of course it is ....but with gov't and economics the way they are...the numbers will probably not increase much...your best bet is to just document violations and report them as you see them....at least then the conservation office would have evidence they require to justify increases. I wouldn't put my faith into a bunch of part timers...I would be careful for what you wish for there.... ::)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree with Nicole that during certain periods there should be dedicated officers, but given the "budged stretched" institution, even a single dedicated officer would be a good start as I know that in one day you can cover many different systems, not to mention doing this 5 days a week.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
you'd think if they had a ticket quota to fill, the could pay the extra man hours needed! Not to mention auctioning the confiscated gear... :hmmm:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
bronjuan said:
you'd think if they had a ticket quota to fill, the could pay the extra man hours needed! Not to mention auctioning the confiscated gear... :hmmm:
Not to disagree too much with the sentiment, but a "ticket quota" is simply an invitation to abuse. There are enough violations out there that a "time quota" i.e. 8 hours on a given body of water, would likely provide the revenue anticipated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey , do not blame the CO , there is so many poachers.. I thout the same thing as you but after this year i changed my mind.. I also started to hunt this year and you do not wanna know what some poeple do.. thay shoot moose , bucks , does , anything they leave it there and CO have to deal with it.. plus fish , there is not enough people to be everywhere.. we talked to one CO guy and he catched 12 pople poaching in 1 day!!! and guys fishing like on the end of the cast just snag.. why do you do that??? you will just snag/harm/kill the fish and you can not keep it anyway.. O , if you see something use your camera on your cell phone..

Jimbo said:
:mad:It disgusts me to see what is happening on our rivers and to read about it on these sites. Over the years I have witnessed so much crap such as bottom bouncing with long leaders and and retaining fish for family members and such absolutely terrible treatment to fish which will be released[coho and even steelhead] Cant imagine that all these people are using barbless hooks not to mention the snagging and foul hooking and retaining. Where are the conservation officers????? Make the busts and fine and educate these people. I wont even get in :-Xto the eddicate side of things because there simply is none!!!I feel that I do not see fisheries often enough and do not get checked often enough it is a joke. Can something other than throwing fiery rage at these people be done?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Also - let's not get COs mixed up with DFO Fisheries Officers (FOs). COs are provincial while FOs are federal...and I don't think DFO is involved with chasing bears. Don't get me wrong - I understand that both COs and FOs can enforce the regulations. But I thought DFO had primary responsibility for salmon - and if it's snagging and illegally retaining salmon then I would think that DFO would have the jurisdiction. So write to your MP about FO shortages! If you see violations - call 'em in! The numbers are on your license. I agree - there definitely isn't enough enforcement out there. I have never been checked by a FO. I've been checked once by a CO up at Alice Lake - of all places!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Little background here guys to expand on Flyfishin Magicians thoughts:

There are 2 types of fisheries related environmental enforcement officers on patroll in BC, fisheries officers (FO's) and conservation officers (CO's).

FO's are federally funded by the department of Fisheries and Oceans, they are responsible for managing salmon and all the fisheries that revolve around them (Sport, FN and Commercial). They are also responsible for looking into habitat violations such as pollution or improper development etc.....their job is to enforce the fisheries act.

CO's are provincially funded by the Ministry of Environment and are responsible for managing all fisheries other than salmon (trout, steelhead char, bass etc etc...). They also have to watch out for habitat violations, deal with problem bears and monitor hunters.

Both groups are staffed by hard working but extremely overstretched individuals. There are only a handfull of each for the whole Fraser Valley. They have their field work to do but also have to spend a tonne of time in court trying to make their field work stick.

Those who have mentioned that the government is at fault are correct, lobby your provincial and federal governments to delegate more funds to environmental enforcement. Once politicians believe that we want to see more officers out in the field, they will be more inclined to make is happen.

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
As go the difference between coaching and officiating, myself as many others believe the answer
lies in education. if there were more co's out and about the lakes and streams there could
be a more beneficial connection through positive reinforcement than just handing out tickets.
More often then not when an officer is greeted in the field a repour is formed with the
people they meet. This in turn increases the knowledge in which both parties desire. Most of these
co's have the same passion for the sport and have many fond memories to pass on.

:beerchug: Marko

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well we got checked by a CO one week and a FO the next week at the same spot. Both guys were VERY nice - we showed them our licenses and our catch.
We had a little chit chat with the CO and discussed their shortages of manpower and he said they had a lack of visibility due to a range of call outs such as bear sighting - hunters, animals being hit by vehicles - etc. So they dont just handle fishing - they handle a wide variety of complaints. He gave us some pens and a key chain with phone numbers on them - and he went on his way! The only thing that I questioned was why they were visiting such a low usage area - when I would think they could have been at the stave - doing some license and other checks there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fist of all I was by no means slamming the co's Just asking, where are they? Obviously there are not enough of them be it the government or whatever!!!!!!! :mad: [email protected]!Q What can we do to make it better. :eek:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts