BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
other than standard trolling with weddingband and corn on the hook, has anyone developed/use any techniques that work well in local lakes? ie) Jigging? . Any local favourite lakes (poco/maple ridge area)
Also I just installed an eagle sea charter gps/fish finder combo, wondering if anyone has a simliar unit that could tell me if you can spot schools if fish (ie kokanee) when travelling at higher speeds or does it only give clear signals at lower speeds? I'm used to using a crappy fishfinder, looking fwd to seeing what this one can do.
itching to get out... this damned winter weather :mad: !!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I love to fish allouette in the spring for kokanee. The best method I've found for them is flyfishing. There are a couple of patternms I use that work very well. And when using a light rod you can have a blast out there. As far as the fishfinder goes, I don't use one most of the time for kokanee just because at that time of the year they stay on top. But yes with a good fishfinder you get the same grwta picture regardless of speed, just make sure you've got it mounted right ;D

·
Banned
187 Posts
cast pink spoons. Im going to trying putting rod on the boat this year in the rod holders, with jigs. Let the rocking motion of the baot to give them there action. As for fly fishing. yellow/green doc spratleys. Pink pattens. Sometimes streemers.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I second the allouette choice, and I also fish it with a fly rod. I troll a fast sinking line, with something yellow, red, or black. Those colors seem to work well for me anyways.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what's the average size of kokes in there anyways since they've started fertilizing it?
Also anyone know if there's lake trout in there? have heard mixed opinions on that one however reading the freshwater regs today is see fisheries has a blurb about lake trout in Alouette.
Cruised past gold creek this september, there were lots of fish milling about in the shallows, not sure what they were

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You'll find that the Allouette has a large variety of fish in it. I have heard rumors about the lakers in there but haven't talked to anyone who has actually caught one. There are some nice rainbows in there but they are usually deep. Lots of sucker fish in there as well. I have seen some large scale suckers, mountain suckers and of course the northern pikeminnow. I usually fish this lake off the bottom in about 60-80 ft with a worm or some powerbait while I am camping, works pretty good for the rainbows!

·
Registered
694 Posts
The kokanee and rainbows that I've taken from the lake have been at the surfce down to 15ft range. But keep in mind that's still early spring before they've put the docks out. There are lakers in there, I don't know how many, but there's at least a couple. ;)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Some big lakers in there, hard to get at though. Kokanee average about 10 iches, I've heard of a few around 15, but nothing much bigger.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just a tip, on the that lake I've noticed that you have to be rod in hand when fly fishing. The take is quite light and if you don' hit it, they won't set themselves. Mind you I'm not trolling so, technique would play a big part.

And the biggest monster I pulled out of that lake was all of 14in. ;D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
14"? Well not bad for a kokanee i guess. How about dollies, have you ever caught any of those in there? Reading all these posts on local lakes it seems that lots of people catch rainbow, cutties and kokanee but very few dollies.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Clear camo line is what works best for me.
Wind drifting with lots of line out and usually a brown/cinnamon nymph or red spratley.
This set-up outfishes my Mono with wedding band and worm 6-1.
Have never heard of Dollies in Allouette but there are still Lakers in there.

Will be interesting to see what its like in the spring again.
Would be something if those Kokanee got up to a couple ponds as they are a hoot allready on the 4wt. and they arent very big.
What they lack in size they sure double in attitude. ;D

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey Teppit1 welcome aboard

Re kokanee I have caught them jigging with Deadly Dicks (tipped with maggots worked the best) on Kootenay Lake but havent tried that locally. As for allouette like others have mentioned it can be some killer flyfishing for the kokanee in early spring April-May before the wake boards get going.If you dont have a fly rod you can still troll with a spinning rod. Have had luck with Halfbacks, wolley buggers and micro leechs (red) I have only fished it in the early spring so I am not sure how the flyfishing is as the water warms up.I bet there are some huge lakers/bulls in there eating those kokanee ;).

-RC

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I have caught Dollies (Bulls) to 4 lbs. in Allouette. They will come to the mouth of the creeks that feed the lake in the Spring and are easily caught with a wobbling spoon, spinner blades and trolling with worms/maggots, power bait, shrimp.....It's usually better up by the narrows rather than the dam or the boat launch......BE WARNED!!!....If you venture out on this lake in a small boat, keep your eye on the wind. It almost always blows in the afternoon and will come up very quickly...Best to do your fishing in the am.
This is a very dangerous lake, with many stumps snags and hidden obstacles..........Ortho 8)

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
Dirrectly east from Gold Creek and along the shore has been good for me for koks. I also
have had first hand experiences of rough weather on this lake ones not easily forgotten..
thank goodness there is lots of shoreline to hug... :)...Marko... ;D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i hear you re the rough weather. was having a pleasant overnighter in our small cuddy on a calm summer night on pitt lake a few years back....next morning holy cr#p!
Well i'm ready to fish now. 3 more weeks or so and i'll be trying out these tips

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
p.s. re stumps, Stave makes alouette look pleasant...went out during low water when all the stumps show up last October - won't go when it's that low again, i'll bet there's a few pieces of propeller from many a boat down the bottom of that lake

1 - 18 of 18 Posts