BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am going to be camping/fishing Nicola Lake this weekend (from a canoe) I have a 5wt. which I haven't used yet. I am normally chucking the 8wt. on the rivers. My wife is coming along so I won't be absolutely die hard fishing the whole time but would like to giv'er a shot. My line options are either full float or 15ft Type III sink tip, I only have one spool so I can't switch back and forth yet. I've heard the fish are still being caught quite shallow so I wonder if I need float with bead head weighted fly's or sink tip with wet fly's. Any suggestions would be helpful, also what should be in my fly box this time of year on Nicola Lake?
Thanks
Gibbs

· Registered
1,660 Posts
If you just have one spool, absolutely the dry line. You can fish dries and chironamids, and you can vary the depth of your wet fly/nymph presentation by varying the length of your leader, adding weight such as splitshot or a beadhead, and the speed of your retrieve.

· Registered
334 Posts
I agree with the floating line. Long leader. Micro leeches, (black or olive gold beaded or black) shrimp and chironomids should get you some fish.
Let your shrimp sink w/ a long leader and drag the shrimp through the marl, near the shoals. Troll your leeches the slower the better. You can also cast these into the weeds, try to imitate a leech by twitching as you slowly retrieve.
Catch some fish! :cheers:

· Registered
265 Posts
I was there last weekend and there was a huge black ant hatch. Fish were rising all over. I would go with the floating line as bead head leeches. To cover more water drag them around slow and zigzag as you paddle. The lake did start to turn on the weekend so hopefully it will be done by this weekend as the winds were high Saturday afternoon till we left on Monday.

Cheers, Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.