BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to learn how to fish for trout in Buntzen Lake using a downrigger. First off I have attempted this last weekend with no luck. Mind you, I tried for about 30min before giving up. I got the basic set up right. I have a Scotty rigger with counter. I have a weight and release cable and a good rod/reel ect ect ect. What I want to know is how much line from the release clip to the lure should I give? 10' - 20' ? Also how far up the rigger cable from the weight should I attach the release clip? What kind of lure works for trout? Do I need a worm on the end? Would a Power Bait Worm be good enough?
Thanks for any replies.... ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
The release clip should be right by the cannon ball (weight). Some cannon balls also have a "clip" or attachment on the back end for you to attach your release clip to. I recommend those types.

As for how much line you have out, that is up to you.
Here is what i used to do: If I was fishing deep I would keep my presentation closer to the cannon ball. If I was fishing shallow I would let quite a bit of line out to get it further back from the boat. This was done to avoid the sound of the motor.

Some fish dont mind motor noise and actually prefer the bait to be trolled in the "prop wash".

Keep in mind when setting the line in the release what fish you are targeting. Bigger fish means the line further back in the clip. Small fish near the front of the clip.

Hope this helped. Good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Float Fisher, thanks for the info. How deep do trout hold in a lake like Bunzten?
Would I have to go 40', 50' 60'?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.