BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking for suggestions on where to fish for either chinook or steelhead for a late Feb-early March trip to BC. Guide recommendations are also appreciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can't believe 135 hits and no replys. Look at fishing in Vancouver Harbour post on Saltwater fishing forum.
Predator Charters; I see them always catching fish and hear they are nice as well.

Good Luck.

PS. A couple of years ago I tried to get people to put on there smoking recipes but to no avail. It seems that everyone is very protective of information. So I went out and bought 2 books that cover smoking fish. If anyone wants a recipe don't be afraid to ask

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Where in BC are you looking at coming into?

If you were to stay in the Vancouver area there is Predator Charters as earlier mentioned and another one is Bonnie Lee.

There is a lot of coastline to look at in BC. You can head up North to the central/North coast or over to Vancouver Island as well. Are you wanting to stay in one of the major centers such as Vancouver or Victoria?

Lots of questions to ask so perhaps you can narrow it down a little bit?

It is not the "best" time in BC but there are fish around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure about mainland options, but the fishing off Nanaimo was pretty good three weeks ago. No monsters, but I got a couple in the 8-9lb range. I don't normally bother but had some time as I awaited prawn traps. Fished around 110 ft with white & green hootchie. If you need guides try Screaming Reel Charters or Silver Blue. They fish this side.

If you want to venture further, read my report on the Sproat Lake Loggers Derby this past weekend. Quite a few fish caught.

Tight lines

·
Registered
770 Posts
pacificmist said:
We are looking for suggestions on where to fish for either chinook or steelhead for a late Feb-early March trip to BC. Guide recommendations are also appreciated.
Depends on where you're going. If you are interested in Vancouver Island--it's best for a longer trip---over the span of at least 2 days. Otherwise, you're going to spend plenty of time on the ferries, driving, etc etc etc.

However, at this time of year, the Vancouver/Nanaimo/Sunshine Coast Area offers exceptional value and bang for the buck.

Consider this..with somewhat limited fishing effort as a result of the anemic people around Vancouver recently..there has been a 31, 31, 25, 21 several in the high teens, and more than a couple of dozen keepers in the 9 to 14 lb range. Quality is awesome for this time of year..and it's Vancouver and offers you plenty of time to go and see the sights without the ferry expense, driving time, etc etc etc.

Our keeper size is 62 cm---and not some stupid 45 cm BS.

A good couple of days fishing can be had around Vancouver for pretty reasonable rates which will leave you plenty of time to sample great restaurants, scenery, skiing if you want, etc etc etc.

David Korsch on Predator Charters is a good one--and he specializes in Winter Springs.
Bon Chovy with Jason/Jeff offers exceptional value.
Bonnie Lee Charters offers a great experience and great value.

and if you're a bit more adventurous in terms of $$$---but add ferry fare both ways---to Nanaimo for Silver Blue Charters.

Just my .02

I fish the area often and I'd love to see the fish I'd catch if I drove and paid the expense to fish from Sooke right now.

The Vancouver area at this time of year offers more than twice the fishing experience over other areas from a cost perspective, and the fish are BIG for this time of year so far.

It's only getting more consistent and better now--and a limit of crab for the boatload shouldn't be too difficult.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
fishinmagician said:
Consider this..with somewhat limited fishing effort as a result of the anemic people around Vancouver recently..there has been a 31, 31, 25, 21 several in the high teens,
;D ;D ;D

Pacificmist.......all in all a number of great points brought up by the magician.

As mentioned if you are flying into Vancouver and only wanting 1 or 2 days of fishing; take into account the travel time associated with getting over to the island. It is well worth it once you are there.

You are coming to one hell of a playground and there is plenty to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts