BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you guys can set me straight on the float setup for the Vedder ... a stopper knot at the top, a small bead, then the float, a bead below that, a swivel with a loop for the lead weight, and then the leader?

I've tried different leader lengths without much luck - between 18" and 2-ft. I've also played with my stopper knot to get down near the bottom. Am I on track? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
your on target :thumbup: just keep plugging away

what kind of water have you been targetting? springs like deep holes which can be long slow deep holes right through to big holes under large choppy water. just keep casting into everything you will get rewarded soon i bet :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
There are plenty of ways to rig for salmon & steelhead and many of them have been covered in many posts in the past..but we are talking about Springs, and NOT coho, chum, pinks, or steelhead. Contrary to what you may have heard, Springs are not big "Chasers" of bait or gear. But, they will take almost anything that is put right in front of their noses and is not travelling too fast.
Hook is correct, they will not usually spend too much time in shallow water or "exposed water"..They like a good flow from 2-6 feet with lots of aireation (upstream boulders or choppy water)
The trick is to keep your offering in front of the fish as long as possible. Do this by staying upstream and slowly letting a bit more line out..Don't let the float go free thru the run, as it will usually be too fast. oNLY FISH 10 30 FEET AT A TIME. YOU WILL NEED A HEAVIER WEIGHT THAN NORMAL DRIFTING. Sllde whatever float you want on the mainline, thread on a piece of pencil lead (do not crimp), add a single bead to keep the weight from crimping your line, then tie on a swivel, then add 12-18 inches of leader with a size 1-4 barbless hook tied on with a roe knot.....has worked for 50 years and worked twice on Friday........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see what you're saying .... I've been leting my spoon methods get the better of me, by letting it drift on by on the current and not keeping it in place and letting it slowly cover the hole. I also been targeting the wrong water too... hitting the slot between the fast and slow water.

I'll cover the holes and slow it down. Thanks again!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hey Fishortho !

Can you help me with these;

Do the springs hide behind the boulders or in front or between or are they just in the deep pebbled areas :confused:

Do you target your hook to ride 1 foot above the bottom :confused:

Thanks
Cape R

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
According to 95% of the fisherman I have seen on the Vedder this summer a 4-5 foot leader is the norm.

The guys who actually get biters seem to be using 12-16 inches.

The seams created by 2 currents meeting are excellent Chinook spots, especially when they are 4 plus feet deep.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Bent Rod said:
According to 95% of the fisherman I have seen on the Vedder this summer a 4-5 foot leader is the norm.

The guys who actually get biters seem to be using 12-16 inches.

The seams created by 2 currents meeting are excellent Chinook spots, especially when they are 4 plus feet deep.
I agree, almost every spot i have fished so far this red spring season the normal leader length is at least 3 feet and more.

Where i was fishing this guy had a 4 ft leader and his float was only about 12 inch from his weight. the pool was about 8-10 feet deep, he couldnt understand why i was catching fish in this pool with such a short leader (16-18 inch's) and why he wasnt catching anything, I explained that your not getting to the fish with with 1. the leader is to long 2. the float is not setup for the proper amount of depth. after a quick and simple explanantion, and he even let me cut all his gear off and re do it a more simpler way than how he had it origanly setup... he finally got into some fish all sockeye but still it was his first vedder fish !!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thanks for the info :thumbup:

I guess it is simple to see why I get skunked on the river, I was fishing a fast moving float in shallow water and trying to get behind or in front of boulders when infact I should be slowing my float down and fishing in deep water :wallbash:

I hope to get it soon, hope I get more time on the river before its finished :thumbup:

Thanks again for the info Guys :happy: :thumbup:

Cape R

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the reference to ribwart's post ... as a newbie to float fishing (most rivers in washington are non buoyant), I searched this site for this info and never found it. :wallbash:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Many thanks to Ortho, Bent Rod and the others that take the time to share such helpful tips. I'm very new to this forum and feel that your contributions are a true benefit. I've been fishing in the Vedder the last 2 years a dozen times a season and haven't had that much luck. I'm feeling a little more optimistic armed with a few more insights.
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.