BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK....how long a leader for anchovies, cut bait, spoons and plugs?? Heading to North Van Isle in a few weeks & just want some confirmations on the lengths from the flasher, or the swivel on the main line.
Also, what is the best way to rig streamers/bucktails for coho top water fishing on an 8 wt. flyrod? What flies do I need and what size for casting into surface fish that are seen near kelp?.........Ortho 8)

· Registered
759 Posts
Ok. Since no one is responding because everyone except for 2 individuals on this board have their heads so stuck up you know where they won't help out another fellow fisher... I'll help you out.

You may want to use the search engine as this topic has been covered a few times over...

Using flashers...for hootchies... anywhere from 28" to 42" for Springs. 36-42 inches being most common. Adjust your speed for the right action. 28 inches to 36 inches will give you more action for Cohos and Socks. On the longer hootchy leaders--use the commercial rigging method---it'll pay you dividends. Go faster for "hos" but you'll find if there are plenty around...a 45 degree rigger angle gets you plenty o' strikes.

Spoons/Bait....5 feet minimum to 7 feet is sufficient. Anything more I think is excessive.

Plugs. 20 to 60 feet off the rigger.....or if you're really bored and all by your lonesome.....100 feet back...hint hint...the BIGGEST fish always come from further back...(old wives tale? but I've caught enough to know)

Fish your flashers 12 to 20 feet back most of the time. Sometimes a bit closer...sometimes a bit longer..

Tight lines and let us know how you make out!

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Ortho...

FM pretty much nailed it from what I have heard, read and practiced.

I will say that I did note the "longer length" for "bait" late last summer and tried it with enoucraging results. I wasn't really thinking and originally had the bait rigged a bit longer than the hoochies we were dragging. Did a bit of reading and investigating and lenthened out to roughly 6 foot leaders and LO and behold; we started picking up some fish on bait and not just hoochies.

Hope that helps.......just got back on line with a bit of time as I had my head stuck up.....I don't know where. :peace:

Look forward to a good report and I will post one up as well when I get back from WCVI.

FM....can you tell me what you refer to with the "commercial rigging method" on the longer length hoochie leaders? Sorry Ortho....not meant to hijack.

· Registered
116 Posts
Hey Ortho i could write you a book here so when you have free time call me. I will share my last 5 years of guiding in the Whale channel and Queen Charlottes with you and share some of my secret cut plugs :thumbup:

;);););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););)

· Registered
759 Posts
That's only the first hour's results in the Charlottes---although there are far too many more days in recent years when guides wish that pic was more the norm for even a day's worth of fishing. Fun pics nonetheless.

Cut Plug Herring can be lots of fun.

;)

· Registered
461 Posts
Pippen said:
Ortho...

FM pretty much nailed it from what I have heard, read and practiced.

I will say that I did note the "longer length" for "bait" late last summer and tried it with enoucraging results. I wasn't really thinking and originally had the bait rigged a bit longer than the hoochies we were dragging. Did a bit of reading and investigating and lenthened out to roughly 6 foot leaders and LO and behold; we started picking up some fish on bait and not just hoochies.

Hope that helps.......just got back on line with a bit of time as I had my head stuck up.....I don't know where. :peace:

Look forward to a good report and I will post one up as well when I get back from WCVI.

FM....can you tell me what you refer to with the "commercial rigging method" on the longer length hoochie leaders? Sorry Ortho....not meant to hijack.

Don't wan't to put words in FM's mouth, but what I think he's referring to is single vs. tandem rigged hoochies. The standard commercial rig is a single siwash hook crimped onto a stainless swivel. 40 pound leader is attatched to hook, beads and hoochie theaded onto line, and swivel attatched to end of leader.

Most hoochies that you buy in stores are rigged with tandem octopus hooks. I rig mine both ways depending how I am feeling when I'm tying. You will lose more fish with the tandem rigs, but you probably also get more hook ups. I usually prefer the single rigs, especially if fishing for large mature springs.

· Registered
116 Posts
No longer Guiding for lodges, i spent last year season at Bigtime Sportfishing (whale channel) and i believe that was bird 1. Parker point was my favourite spot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.