BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see in another post, Fishinmagician suggests a 40lb leaderline. I'm assuming a 20-25lb mainline. Why so heavy with the leader? Doesn't that mean if you hook up on the bottom you're possibly gonna lose alot of mainline? It kinda goes against what I know with freshwater rigging, but thought to ask.

I'm just getting back to fishing the chuck, and figuring out what I need and what to do to catch a few.

Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I personally like a heavy leader line when fishing for socks as the hootchie will track the flasher better, use a 40lb. leader. When fishing for springs etc. I do drop to 30 or 25 behind any flasher or without. Our local waters here present a problem with the use of heavy leaders........the dump bears of the sea....seals. When using a heavier leader than a main line, if your using a flasher with bait or lures you will likley break the seal off rod side of the flasher, costing you the flasher and lure or rig price. Just one guys opinion. Tight lines everyone !
HT.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I like heavy line. I use 30 and 35 main, and usually the same line for leader. I do not think it scares away any fish. I used some 80 pound leader on a flasher and hootchie one day last August, when I switched from herring to hootchies after dogfish number 7. It ended up being the best day of the year for Springs for me, and all 4 took the hootchie on 80 pound leader behind a flasher.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have not read the other post but I think they will say the same. Using a heavy leader 30 - 40 or more lb. gives more motion to a hoochie or the lure - less twist, more energy to the action. It is not to stop the teeth of a chinook or dog. It is a long time tradition. Hoochies, espeically on light leaders don't produce, there is no movement transfered from flasher to lure.
Have fun, Jason.
Hoping to fish at the end of March if still unsuccessfull.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts