BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been practicing fly casting now for a while and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where would be a good lake to actually CATCH fish - I NEED practice CATCHING now - lol. Maybe a catch and release lake or something like that? Any ideas? Thinking in the area from here - the lower mainland, to maybe Merritt?

We were up at Sheridan this weekend and I FINALLY had a fish take my dry fly off the top of the water and I stood there like an idiot - so excited looking down at my reel - Not thinking of stripping ::)::)::) And by that time the fish had spit my fly. I almost cried.... so many times I have been out, and the time I get a bite, I wasnt ready - ::) anyways straight after that my fly reel fell to the floor and my rod seat had totally come unglued - (Kind of like me - lol) Felt pretty discouraged after that - let me tell ya! So if anyone knows of anywhere where I could possibly practice this catching thing - would be greatly appreciated :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm certainly a noob at the fly also but I have had some real fun at albert dyck park in abbotsford. The lake is full of small bass and they have readily taken my micro leech offerings from a floating line fished naked (no indicator). The hot spot is definitely the north east corner of the lake which is where the only shallow weed bed is located. On a warm summer day you can wade out to knee deep water and cast without obstruction towards the deeper water. I have had best success in the morning before 10 am but I have heard the evening bite is equally good. It's close to home, the water is warm and those little bass are pretty scrappy.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
If you can venture from home I would hit up Walloper Lake near Roche. Your fly rod will get a good workout guaranteed. Smaller fish but a great place to practice. Or any of the lakes of the Connector at sunset on the dry.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for all your help - I very much appreciate it...thanks for all the pm's too! Will let you know when I actually catch one and bring it IN - I guess once you make a mistake like I did - you definitely LEARN! lol. The lake in abbotsford is a great place for me to start as it is close to home - but I appreciate all the other areas too where we can venture out alittle....An area where we can just wade in is great AT THE MOMENT :thumbup::thumbup: Thanks again -

·
Registered
745 Posts
Check with some of the trout ponds....(catch and release), they have a fixed $$ amount for you to practise on their ponds.....

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hey Leaseman...are there actually trout ponds that will let you C&R? The ones I know of will only let you catch and keep.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hey Leaseman...are there actually trout ponds that will let you C&R? The ones I know of will only let you catch and keep.

Yes there is! There was one or two talked about not too long ago on another site and the owners didn't mind the catch and release for a flat hourly rate! There is a few flycasting courses that use this combined with their teaching to give you a real "hands on" approach and feeling!

Will see if I can dig up their names!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sun Valley Trout Park in Mission; three hours of C & R fly fishing $25. I know I teach classes there. The largest to come out of there; 26 inches with a 14 inch girth, landed by yours trurly.

Also Fraser Valley Hatchery offers C & R $100, as for Mike.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hmm...interesting. That's good to know...I'm teaching my brother and his wife and I might take them up there for a few hours. Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow! $25 for 3 hours of fishing. It seems like a lot but I guess if we counted all of our costs on an interior trip, it might be just as expensive or worse. Cheaper than golf.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ah yes Sheridan--cronnie fishing last week warm day feeling sleepy---no asleep
Dad fish on --huh what where who--fish jumps three times spits hook
Aahhh crap
happens to best fisherman and me-bsboy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts