BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I had a chance to make it out to the flow with a couple of guys, all of us in search of some nice steel. Since I bought my first Pin rod, I have only had one chance to get out and use it until Saturday.

We had the opportunity to use a gentleman's, drift boat so we were able to see all kinds of beautiful water on Saturday. Man, what a beautiful day it was as well.

After covering quite a bit of water on the move using our level winds, we get to a nice area and I break out the pin. After a few floats thru some nice water, it is "bobber down"! Well, since this is the first time I have hooked up on the pin, I really wasn't sure what to do except obviously, hold on! I had enough presence of mind, to lay my palm on the drum as the fish was pulling, but other than that, I wasn't too sure what else to do. Don't get me wrong, I know how to fight a fish, while using a drag system setup, but this was totally different and EXACTLY why I wanted to use a pin.

I found it very difficult to coerce this fish into water that was a bit more conducive to being able to land the it. IT would get close, then make huge runs. Repeat this move about 4 or 5 more times.

The problem I was having was knowing the right amount of pressure to apply with my palm, while the fish was running. I felt as if, when the fish would get ready to run, my palm would be on the drum, the rod would load up and then the drum would break free of my palm. It wasn't a smooth releasing of the line. It was more of a surging effect. After I had the fish in close a couple of times....like this....

Shortly after this pic, the fish made a very long run, downstream towards a nasty piece of water. I was trying to slow the fish to no avail. Towards the end of the run, the fish snaps my 8# leader. Yes, I know, I could have used a heavier leader and possibly not lost the fish, but that is not where my question lies. I am more curious as to how to properly palm the drum of the reel and use the leverage of the rod more to get the fish in. I am so use to using my drag system level winds, this is an entire new ballgame. Being able to fight the fish on this rod was so exciting, landing the fish would have just been the added bonus. I know a lot of you have been using this setup for many years, so it is old hat. I was so pumped after that fight. I can't wait for the next. In the meantime, anyone have any suggestions as to how to properly utilize the palm and leverage of the rod to get the fish in?

Thanks in advance!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I suggest using your clicker, if you have one, and only applying light pressure with your pinky of your rod holding hand.
Virtually all CP users quickly abandon palming the reel in favor of the feathering drag of the finger/s of your rod hand.

just as when you cast, you are supposed to control spool speed with your fingers of the hand that holds the rod and reel.

I use a Milner Kingfisher and despite the cries of those I fish with I always use my clicker while fighting a fish.
This allows you to let a fish run hard and free if need be and you just add whatever extra pressure you feel is needed. Also if you fall/stumble/slip you will not lose control and have a birdnest.
Also might add that one of the great sounds in angling is a screaming clicker, especially on old Hardys and John Milners reels, other reels are rather lame in that department.

After seeing your pics, looking at the one where you are palming, I am suggesting your left hands fingers or even just your baby finger be used for controlling the fish and your other hand concentrates on reeling and rod control.

I suggest go to my website and watch some vids of us Steelhead fishing to get a better idea of what I am trying to say. http://www.bentrods.ca/bc-fishing-video.htm

Great to see you having fun with the pin, it definately makes for a different kind of experience and kinda renews the fun factor while you are learning to use it.
Not to mention you will realize quickly why it is so popular as you pay out effortless drag free drifts with no drag or line twist to worry about. Its nice to have 300 yards of line as well,cause once in awhile you will need it.

HOLY F the nook sure looks like the chedder.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rod,

Looking back, those would have been some great pearls of info to have thought of while in fight. My reel does have a clicker and it also has a "drag" feature as well. Both items that were the furthest things from my mind while fighting unfortunately. I think I must have been smitten with steely fever. :thumbup:

I guess, it just takes more time in the water using this and more chances of fighting fish, to get this set-up figured out.

I can honestly say, that this was probably the most rewarding and exciting fish, I have ever lost. I never thought I would be excited to lose a fish. Not too happy, but it was an entirely different experience.

The South Fork of the Nook was pretty colored up but the main was nearly perfect. A ton of traffic for the majority of the day, but towards the end of the day, it was a ghost town.

So, after watching the vids, I notice that chasing them down seems to bit a more common than trying to "fight" them with a level wind. Would you say that you do more chasing than fighting? Watching your vids and ribwarts "How to lose a steelhead" vid, you guys chase them down instead of trying to fight them in.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey Trasher,I think rob already gave you some good pointers,most of the time we use our pinky finger to control the spool,i taught my son try to control the spool without clicker on,so he can learn what is about 100% drag free.Nice pictures,hope you have more fun on your pin set up. :thumbup: :beerchug:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I myself dont use the clicker except on big springs that i cant control. You asked about chasing fish, YES we tend to follow fish more with a CP setup than being able to pull them back upriver like with a level wind however i dont chase all my fish, I do follow most steelies just so i can keep good pressure on them. I use the palming technique when its cold outside because my fingertips get kind of clammy and stick to the reel while its peeling out and when this happens my fingers get stuck between the spool and the rod, which makes the spool STOP! and that will lose you fish everytime.

I think you need to get up here and fish with someone that uses a CP and see how its done start to finish ;D

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
If you watch more of the vids you'll see we sometimes chase and sometimes stand and fight.

Most of the chased fish are in heavy white water runs and they are hot fish that need to be fought from a more straight across approach as if you were to stand and fight them they would probably just rip the hooks through their mouths. Also in these situations I have had many fish wrap around instream boulders and have found that
keepin em close usually allows a high rod trajectory which alleviates most boulder wraps.
On slower pools and bigger rivers I usually just stand and do battle, as with massive line capacity I am not worried about fish getting away.

I noticed your rod has a very short butt section, I have gone to longer butt sections over the years and longer rods(13 footers), the longer butt is much more comfortable and lessens arm fatigue and the long noodle type rods really suck up crazy fish actions. I find I land way more fish and have more fun doing it as you really feel the fish with these long rods. Being a horser of fish I still can pull hard but do not pull out hooks anymore and lose way less fish as they "helicopter in close" as the rod sucks that stuff up.

I look for a butt section to extend right to my elbow point and I use my forearm as a brace and cast mostly with just that arm and hand.

Is your reel a Avon??, lots of old Avons still tugging on steel up here.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info men!

Yes my reel is a Avon Supreme. It is in great condition, so far...I think I like it. :confused:

The rod is an 11'6" Trophy XL Royale...I think thats what it is anyway. Ok, so my greenness is really showing now. ;D

I am really looking forward to refining this!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I thought that water looked familar...I was up on the northfork sunday as well...Not many guys around up there...Everything replied above is what you need to do...I also switched to a longer rod and butt end and have landed some big salmon on it....Much easier on the arms and better feel etc. as well...Hey look on the bright side, now you know what us fly guys go through!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am trying to understand how to feather the reel with my pinky. Also, what's up with laying the rod over to the side horizontally??

·
Registered
901 Posts
i personally dont use the clicker while fighting fish.. its not a drag nor meant to be used as one... it will burn the pawl out of your reel.. happened to me with my IMW and a very hot red spring. plus i like to be sneaky and avoid attention when fighting fish ;D

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Thrasher said:
I am trying to understand how to feather the reel with my pinky. Also, what's up with laying the rod over to the side horizontally??
I use my ring finger to control the pressure on the reel.
Laying the rod on its side will put more line in the water which will cause drag, so really the line is being pulled downstream into a U shape and pulling the fish closer to shore. You can reel in line easier than fighting the fish with the rod vertical I find.
A pawl is part of the clicker mechanism, its the part that slips into the gear when the clicker is engaged.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Laying the rod to the side is very effective when trying to turn hard fighting steel in faster water, it creates pull from a different angle and the fish usually heads toward you, which gets em in faster. With noodle rods it can be an essential fish fighting tool. I have had numerous fish that were large and headed back to sea that I only turned after stuffing my whole rod underwater and to the side, try it Thrasher the next time a fish is really tearing off on you.

As for the clicker, it is obviously not a drag, but certainly it does not wear out yer pall in well made reals, that statement is ludicrous. I guess I better stop catching so many steelhead as my reel might wear out also :p.

As for being covert while you have a fish on, :happy:, yeah most folks just assume that the thrasing steelhead on the surface is just a dipper and you rod is bouncing because you have the shakes ::).

But I can see how standing in the canal hog lines is quite the place for covert fish slaying operations, I probably wouldn't want to be seen with a fish on their either :confused:.

If your heading up soon to fish the Vedder Thrasher shoot me a PM and we will hook up for some fishing, we'll hit some garbage pocket water and let our clickers do the talking, even though all the fish are stuck in the canal.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Bent Rod said:
Laying the rod to the side is very effective when trying to turn hard fighting steel in faster water, it creates pull from a different angle and the fish usually heads toward you, which gets em in faster. With noodle rods it can be an essential fish fighting tool. I have had numerous fish that were large and headed back to sea that I only turned after stuffing my whole rod underwater and to the side, try it Thrasher the next time a fish is really tearing off on you.

As for the clicker, it is obviously not a drag, but certainly it does not wear out yer pall in well made reals, that statement is ludicrous. I guess I better stop catching so many steelhead as my reel might wear out also :p.

As for being covert while you have a fish on, :happy:, yeah most folks just assume that the thrasing steelhead on the surface is just a dipper and you rod is bouncing because you have the shakes ::).

But I can see how standing in the canal hog lines is quite the place for covert fish slaying operations, I probably wouldn't want to be seen with a fish on their either :confused:.

If your heading up soon to fish the Vedder Thrasher shoot me a PM and we will hook up for some fishing, we'll hit some garbage pocket water and let our clickers do the talking, even though all the fish are stuck in the canal.
AMEN!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
kingpin said:
i personally dont use the clicker while fighting fish.. its not a drag nor meant to be used as one... it will burn the pawl out of your reel.. happened to me with my IMW and a very hot red spring. plus i like to be sneaky and avoid attention when fighting fish ;D
Bump!

Over time this WILL happen.
Most CP's have a sprocket (click system) in them which is used to control a backlash. This is all they should be used for. When people fight fish with them, the teeth of the sprocket get worn down. This will cause the clicker to not even work anymore.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Float Fisher said:
kingpin said:
Bump!

Most CP's have a sprocket (click system) in them which is used to control a backlash. This is all they should be used for. When people fight fish with them, the teeth of the sprocket get worn down. This will cause the clicker to not even work anymore.
I say to each their own. If they wanna switch that clicker on and increase the risk of wearing it out and making it so it has to be repaired after more than likely dropping a few hundred dollars on it so be it. I started fishing a pin to be more one on one with a fish without a drag system. That is the whole purpose of a pin isnt it? To be drag free?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Shane said:
Float Fisher said:
kingpin said:
Bump!

I say to each their own. If they wanna switch that clicker on and increase the risk of wearing it out and making it so it has to be repaired after more than likely dropping a few hundred dollars on it so be it. I started fishing a pin to be more one on one with a fish without a drag system. That is the whole purpose of a pin isnt it? To be drag free?

I agree. It's their reel...do what you want.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Remember Cory is new to C-pin use the clicker and the little drag it has on it to help you out, the drag isnt much but its something, untill he gets aused to it he soon wont need it on. Cory like i said i know where you can get parts for that C-Pin cheap !!!!

But idealy the clicker and or the drag is to keep the line tight when moving from run to run so it doesnt free spool on you when your not fishing, but it wont hurt to use it, to give you a bit of tension untill you get better at it

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree, to each their own. But a clicker is just that, a CLICKER in my opinion. If it was designed to be used as a drag the manufacturer would say so. Its designed to be used to keep the reel from free spooling when rigging up or moving from hole to hole as others have mentioned. Also I think that if it was meant to be used as a drag it would be adjustable, since no two fish fight the same. You could call up either of the Milner boys and ask them if the clicker on their reels is designed to be used as a drag but they will say no. I THINK in the owners manual of my Islander it says that it is not designed to be used as a drag but I could be wrong. I know of three center pins with an actual drag system and they are the Angling Specialties, Clough and one of the Spahr models.

I personally prefer the one on one feeling of doing all the "drag work" yourself with just my pinky and ring finger, or on a really hot fish palming the reel. One of the reasons I love fishing a center pin! I think it also makes it more challenging and more intense of a fight. For those reasons I don't think I'll ever buy a C-pin with a drag system. Give both methods a try and use whichever is most comfortable for you.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Avon Royal Supremes like corys and the one I used to have come with the clicker and a mild drag system, untill he figures out how to use a pin i say use the clicker and the mild drag lever on the back of the pin. It will help a a little not lots

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.