BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i know that every stillwater lake has leeches, but yesterday i saw something i have never seen before and hopefully was going to get some clarification on this one. There were leeches crawling out of the lake in low 30 degree weather in the bright sun and searching for something or trying to possibly get away from something. There were hundreds of tadpoles swimming in the reeds and thought maybe they attack leeches? Some of these leeches were 8+ inches long. This is a real noodle scratcher for me and im really interested in finding out why?

· Registered
691 Posts
I definately don't have an answer to that yet, but I'm real interested to see if anyone else might. I've never seen them come out of water like that. :confused:

· Registered
781 Posts
I do know that leeches will actively feed on tadpoles but have yet to see that situation reversed. I have seen leeches crawl up muddy banks and bury themselves...I assumed it was a method to beat the heat. What region were you in?

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Srethy im in the okanogan and like i said the temperature outside was in the low 30's celcius. no muddy banks, infact no mud anywhere, its just too damn hot up here for mud anywhere. Does anyone know other things that live in stillwater lakes that eat leeches other than fish, like maybe large dragonfly nymphs? There were some large ones 2 1/2 - 3 inches long, maybe those? :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.