BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
235 Posts
Most guys would be using something that is 10'6". A average rod would be something like a Shimano Convergence. You can usually pick them up for about $100. Go to your local tackle store and they should be able to set you up.

· Registered
327 Posts
steeliesrking said:
Most guys would be using something that is 10'6". A average rod would be something like a Shimano Convergence. You can usually pick them up for about $100. Go to your local tackle store and they should be able to set you up.
That's what I've got.
From Army & Navy in Langley with the CVL 400 Shimano reel.
Works OK for me as a relatively new float/drift fisher.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
im with Ortho on spending a few more bucks and get the Fenwick HMX 10'6" or 11' rod these rods are very lightweight, sensitive and have alot of backbone. perfect river fishing rod. I grabbed one from A&N for my buddies g/f to give him for his Bday and it ran me 140-150$ and he loves it.

· Registered
146 Posts
10'6" is good and do make sure you get it at whatever your "local tackle shop" happens to be. The knowledge and rapport gained is worth the slightly greater expense.
Cheers!!

· Registered
517 Posts
steeliesrking said:
I have the Shimano Convergence as well. And I have to say that it is a good rod to start with. But if I would had the luck of knowing this website before buying it (like you) I would have considered the option of Hook and ortho. However, whatever you buy now I bet you will end later with a fly rod in your hands :thumbup:

A lot of fun for you out there!

Good luck

Giuseppe

· Registered
290 Posts
fenwick hmx is an awesome rod. it was given to me and i've caught tons of fish on that rod in vedder. unfortunately one the top eye's ring is missing, i have to get this fix someday before it cut my line if i ever land a big 40+ fish. :beerchug:

· Registered
235 Posts
I agree that the hmx is a good rod. The convergence is just a little cheaper, and a good entry level rod. I use a lamiglass Dave Vedder myself. A little more money, but a really nice rod.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
I myself am in M&Y all the time and will be there again tomorrow :cheers: however they are a FLY shop and dont carry gear/drift rods which is what he is asking about. now i have no clue where he lives so if he lives in New West, Coquitlam or Poco then yes there is local shops close by. for me i frequent Reaction either on our way to the river or on the way back. I dont seem to go into Fred's as much as i used to though :confused: last time i was in Searun it was still Babcocks, same with Riverside in Poco it was Jaymers last time i was in there. not exactly local shops for the Surrey/Langley guys as you can see. :beerchug: The people at A&N might not know tons but they know enough about the local "popular" areas and can get someone started with a decent setup and how to rig up and what not.

· Registered
26 Posts
I asked around last year and finally settled on the Shimano Convergence in a 10'6 and power medium heavy with a slow action. I've got an Abu 6601 C4 (Blue and Gold) that is rugged and casts as far as my buddies Record and other guys Calcutta. I've put 30 or so days on it with only having to put a worm gear into it due to Fraser River silt I'm told. I love the set up and you can get it at Freds as I did for about a 160. or at A&N. If I was to do it again though I'd spend the extra up front and get the Technium. Just a thought.

· Registered
517 Posts
i started with a a quantum cold water rod, 10'6" medium/heavy rod, and an Abu Garcia 6500 reel. i've since upgraded to a Shimano Technium with an Abu Garcia Record reel. it's the best bang for the buck i could find, without going to a Sage rod and a Shimano Calcutta reel. the rod is almost unbreakable, and the reel is a 6500 on steroids. i love it!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.