BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my favorite dry flies for lakes in this Province is the is a Big Ugly; it's one of a family of fly patterns know as double hackles or for and aft flies. Ant body care to try and name the other patterns or tell their origan.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
The Renegade is probably the best known double hackle fly. There are a myriad of patterns you could tie with a fore and aft hackle, limited only by your willingness to try mixing and matching body and hackle colours. I don't know the origin of these flies, but perhaps you could fill in that part newsman.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are good. They came out of Colorado in the late 1920's and were as popular as spratleys during the 30s and 40s. Then fell out of favor in the 50s.

Try them and you will be happy you did. Great easy to tie dry fly pattern. Throw in a strand or two of flashabou when you twist the hurl body and they really rock. Trt them and post your results.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
newsman said:
You guys are good. They came out of Colorado in the late 1920's and were as popular as spratleys during the 30s and 40s. Then fell out of favor in the 50s.

Try them and you will be happy you did. Great easy to tie dry fly pattern. Throw in a strand or two of flashabou when you twist the hurl body and they really rock. Trt them and post your results.
we're not really that good, but we do know how to search the web. I've tied a few renegades before, but haven't really given them a try. I will now that I have heard from someone who actually uses them.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
professori said:
newsman said:

we're not really that good, but we do know how to search the web. I've tied a few renegades before, but haven't really given them a try. I will now that I have heard from someone who actually uses them.
I'm in the same boat as Proff. ;D I've had a few different double hackle patterns in the box in the past, but never really gave them a try. Not even sure how I got them, but I'll tie a few up and give them a go for sure.

Finder ;)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was asked about the Big Ugly. It is not that big, with a name like that you would thing it is a Steelhead fly but it's not. It is nothing more a Renegade with grizzly hackles, and one of the best of the bunch. The other top producers I have found are the Double Hackled Peacock, and Double Trude.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.