BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just a bunch of deer hair tied onto the hook! My camera isn't working sooo...
I have problems with the underside of my sedges, I make a mess just trying to get all the deer hair on and secure. It looks fine from the top but underneath... :eek:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
this is posted in the "dry flies" thread but i can toss it up here also. I tied the hackle a little long but so what it was my second one i tied :thumbup:

this fly is tied on a #12 Tiemco 100-BL

·
Registered
789 Posts
HOOK said:
this is posted in the "dry flies" thread but i can toss it up here also. I tied the hackle a little long but so what it was my second one i tied :thumbup:

this fly is tied on a #12 Tiemco 100-BL
looking good there hook, just one thing trim the deer hair off the bottom

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I was up on a Kamloops area lake this week and the sedge hatch was very strong. This Mikaluk sedge was a real boon to have in the fly box.

I trim the hackle from the bottom so the fly sits lower in the water. and lands and rides upright every cast.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
no ass the hackle allows it to sit on the water. the emerger of the same pattenr has no hackle tied around the body just some dubbing/wire rib/elk hair(or deer hair) basically the same thing minus the hackle :cheers: I have both these patterns in my tying book just havent tied the emerger yet :naughty:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
HA HA HA that should have been "as" not "ass" wow great typo though cause it totally fit the sentence :happy: :happy:

hackle in dry flies allows it to sit on the water without sinking (with the help of floatant of course) if you notice other patterns use hackle for the tail (as tail fibers) and then wrap around the collar of the fly which allows the hook eye side to sit up higher with the tail sitting in the surface film but not sinking. with an emerger you would usually tie with a parachute post and tying the hackle horizontally (or at least i tie mine parachute style) therefore everthing under the hackle sits in the surface film creating a better silhouette(not as effective for fast or choppy water though, so i have been told)

have fun searching online you can get so many tips/tricks for tying and fishing dries :thumbup: the information is endless

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.