BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey PatAV.........I concur on the point of hatchery harvest, because that is the main reason for the hatchery, so people come to the river to fish and catch.
However, I should just start a new thread and that's what I am going to do...now
Ortho 8)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Interesting start to a topic.....maybe I will talk a little about the past.

When I was in my teens and just getting in to salmon fishing (trying to teach myself as my father is a non-fisher for the most part) the Limit Hole was one of my favorite spots. This was back when there were two beautiful pools there, one at the Slesse confluence and one in behind the big rock just down stream.

Many mornings in the first week of september I could be found along with a small group of regulars fishing the lower pool. We would arrive just before first light and wait for the light to become sufficient to see our floats. We always had fun and always caught coho, often some of the biggest of the year. It was never crowded and we all got along very well.

My attraction to this pool back then was actually that there were always this same group of people there. I learned alot from many of those guys and eventually became a somewhat competent river fisher.

Now time has moved on and the pool has changed greatly, as have my preferences as an angler. My deep pool behind the rock is now just a pretty good pocket that will still hold fish at times. I have changed as well and where I used to spend close to 100 days a year on the Chilliwack/Vedder I am now lucky if I spend 10.

I guess what I am getting at is this, I will never bad mouth that stretch of water that brought me many hundreds of fish and many joyous times. For many new anglers today their attraction to the area is probably similar to what mine was: people to watch and learn from and always a few fish around to keep it exciting. Unfortunately, I am afraid that not many guys worth learning from spend alot of time there anymore. Where I learned how to fish the right way there back in the day I do not think this is the case anymore.

So IMHO this is not a Sh*# hole or a disgrace to the river, but just another sign of where the system as a whole has been heading the last few years, in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have several spots along the Allouette in Maple Ridge that I am very fond of also, but there are very few fish to be had there now.
Getting back to this disgusting fishery in the upper river, I did ask the fisheries officers on Saturday, why they don't close this area in the same manner they do spot closures on any other river...They said it was their job to enforce what is presently in place, and a closure is not something they can do, personally.

You do make a point about the "harvest of hatchery fish" (other thread) at this spot, and at this juncture, I should also add to my "where's slesse creek"? rant by telling you I saw 2 sockeye foul hooked, as well as three wild springs.
They are not all hatchery fish in there.
I have pictures of all the people that were there on Saturday as a few pics of the fish caught (including one that was gaffed in the throat with a 3/0 hook)

I know this topic has been thrashed before, but it does not ease my mind to see one fish after another being caught by these questionable methods, with fisheries guys standing right behind them saying "they are breaking no laws", but we don't agree with the methods......And, by the way, there were 2 of our members taking part in this idiot fishery, one on each side of the river....Harvest? my butt! Just catching and catching and catching..snag snag snag and not at all suptle about it...Some were going back into the river, but most, including some real boots were boked after being dragged up the rocks.

Those fish don't have a prayer. As the river continues to drop, the problem will get worse and spread throughout the system. When the river fills up with the White Springs, there are going to be some wars for sure...........Why can't something be done about this?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Ortho,

As you well know, what you have described is nothing new, nor is it very surprising to me. As I am sure you also know it happens all over the river and has been for years (Tamahi, wilson/keith wilson).

I am not defending what happens there or the people that make it happen let me assure you.

All I am saying is I have good memories of the area and will not bash it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well in all reality there has to be a boundary somewhere! But sometimes I think these guys think they are super fishermen. One time when we were up at the Tamahi (during coho season) there were some guys above us - snagging fish after fish - and then bringing the fish down right in front of us and bonking them - One of the fish came down in front of my husband and he told the guy he would give him a hand - he said - oops I guess you snagged it - and just unhooked the fish and let it go - They no longer brought the fish down in front of us again. :happy: But I also think some people just do not know what it right and wrong - and I can say I am definitely learning myself!! (And I have learned alot from alot of really nice people on this forum who I am thankful for taking the time to help me with! ) But I also WANT to learn the correct way of doing things even though maybe I am not bailing in the fish maybe the guy above me are! ;)

·
Registered
784 Posts
I feel for you ortho! It is always a tough pill to swallow when you see something you care about so much be treated with complete disrespect. I have also seen members of this site (who preach about snaggers and flossers) out on the river doing the very thing they claim to be unethical. Just like ortho has stated if this is something that truly bothers you let your voice be heard. There are so many people on this site that agree on how to ethically fish and who fish the river on a regular basis so take the time to educate. Don't let the blind lead the blind.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of my greatest pleasures is sharing what I have learned over the years (old technology & new) with other members and helping them get into their first bar fished salmon, or river steelhead, or a nice trout in a local lake.....Guess I'm just another old fart in some eyes, but someday, through the efforts of many people, I hope, someday, the annual snagfest finally comes to an end.........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have had some awesome fishing in the strech from limit hole and down to the slab. Early September was my favorite time. First thing in the morning there were always Coho and plenty of spring jacks to be had and very few people. It was wonderful.

I also did very well for steelhead in the winter if the water was up as they tend to hug the backside shore.

GLX

·
Registered
119 Posts
ok so a guy is fishing up at the slab. he is casting across and drifting down. so how long of a leader and how much between the lead and the float? all i hear is whining and complaining about the fisherman. so i challenge someone to post a pic of the proper setup. remember the water is fast right now and still deep. i have read so much slander and racist garbage and character destruction in the last few days its very sad. so lets see some pics of your setup

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I havn.t seen any "racist or slander garbage" on this thread.What I have seen are fish being hooked by people who are specifically using a setup that is intended to snag fish. The cast has to be upstream, the weight has to be on the bottom for a bounce or two, the line has to be tightened slightly to make sure the weight is downstream of the hook and also a slight bow in the line from the current to the downstream side, so when the rod is lifted quickly, for no apparent reason other than to drag the hook quickly downstream into the fish that are stacked on the bottom of a fast flowing body of water....Presto! fish hooked in the face.....biting absolutely nothing!
It doesn't matter how fast or deep the water is, when you understand the fish are not biting, you will understand what I am saying.
Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Fished yesterday and watched a father and son using 8 feet between float and weight and 3 foot leader when the river was only 4 feet deep at best and sweeping the run into the tail out. The father would set the hook at the end of his drift everytime and the son would hook and loose ever fish. He would look at his Dad with this frustrated look because he thought the fish was spitting out his hook when in fact the fish was snagged. Now we where short floating, avoiding all the sockeye and hitting springs. The distance between our float and weight was less then 4 feet and the leader was under 2 feet. This allows the fish to bite and not get snagged and your float is not doing the crazy dance because your weight is constantly on bottom.

·
Registered
134 Posts
ramtuffyankee said:
ok so a guy is fishing up at the slab. he is casting across and drifting down. so how long of a leader and how much between the lead and the float? all i hear is whining and complaining about the fisherman. so i challenge someone to post a pic of the proper setup. remember the water is fast right now and still deep. i have read so much slander and racist garbage and character destruction in the last few days its very sad. so lets see some pics of your setup
Yeah guys, if someone could snap a quick shot or two of your rig it would help out a lot of the newb's. I grew up fishing in Vancouver - Howe sound salt and cap mainly but i am wanting to explore the river, but I do not want to catch these incredible fish in an unethical way. I love salmon and everything they mean to our beautiful land, and I think most of the people on this board feel the same way.

I lived in California for a while and it is way different there. Party boats jigging with 40 drunk people and reefing in 30 and 40 lbers like nothing on 50lb test. Absolutely no appreciation for the majestic salmon. In Oroville California (close the the hatchery) all they do is snag and when they do catch a fish they way they treat them is brutal, absolutely no respect (or knowledge) for what the salmon has gone through, only to get bashed by a giant lead ball and killed and often just put back in the river.

I think some of the frustration from the old timers and newbies alike is the 'instant gratification' and sense of entitlement that comes with the culture and as a result, the fishermen today. But, thats a different topic.

Most of us would love to 'catch' a fish and not snag them i am guessing. We all don't have the experience with the set ups, and a picture or two would help out greatly. I know I will definitely help to educate others when I am out there but haven't fished the float method (mainly spinners and spoons) on the river.

Sorry for the long message, but please post some pics of your setups regarding line wt, float position, beads and weights (after float), swivel position, hook size and leader length (and wt) and weight position on leader. Blah, thats a lot.

Also, I would like to drive out from Vancouver early one weekday next week for an all day adventure on the river. If anyone would like to carpool or meet out there, let me know and we can fish together.

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Dfisher said:
Flyguy: I think you meant to say " the distance between float and hook is less than 4 feet". That would make more sense in the depth of water you were fishing.
Sorry, I should of clarified that we where in a bit deeper water then 4 feet and when drift fishing you hold back a bit on the line which brings the rig further off of the bottom. You do this because the water at the bottom of the flow is moving slower then the water on the top. This will give a more natural drift and also makes sure that the bait is down stream of the weight and float.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The other night a young kid (16-18?) came down to the bank with a really heavy rod with a big sinker and spinner with a treble hook. He casted and then would flail around, trying to set a hook.

My buddy Carl talked to him a bit, and to make a long story short, we gave him a float set up. When he left, he talked about getting a lighter, better rod. Nobody caught a fish, but it was still a good night.

·
Registered
789 Posts
on My main line i have a D&E Foam Float then about 2.5 inchs of penciel lead slid on the main lin eunder the float followed with a small bead then i tie the main line onto a 2 way swivel on the other end of the swivel is my leader attached to that is a #1 Barbless gammy hook with a bait loop if you dont understand this i will post a pic

·
Registered
298 Posts
Freak,
Do you let the pencil lead slide or crimp to the main line, and would you use split shot on your leader if you were fishing a small wool tie for example or just shorten the leader to keep your presentation in the zone... thanks

Salmon slayer

·
Registered
875 Posts
Ortho I saw you wrote "3 wild springs" in one of your posts. There are no "wild reds" in the Vedder river. This stock was hatchery induced and all the fish are hatchery, even if they are not clipped. This would be why there is no "hatchery clipped retention only" in the Vedder on Reds (I don't think anyways, someone correct me if I am wrong). There may now be SOME wild fish I guess from the hatchery fish spawning in the river but I would assume the numbers are very small.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.