BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my girlfriend a 6wt flyrod with reel combo after finally getting rid of the spin caster. We do the majority of our fishing in float tubes at the interior lakes. I have outfitted 2 reels with floating line and 1 with sinking tip. Can anyone reccomend a sinking line? She will be primarily kicking around the lake dragging a leech or similar pattern. I do pretty much the same most days and have had great success. The only issue is that there are so many choices and sinking speeds on line nowadays! I can't remember was rate of sink mine is as it has been on my reel for so long. Any suggestions?? It will be used for fishing deeper water but I don't want something that is going to hang up on bottom all the time!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
How deep is "deerper water", Cyrus? To be honest, the most utilized sinking line that I own of any line weight is the clear full sinking line most people refer to as a Clear Intermediate Line. Even though it's called an intermediate, many brands who offer this line really have an actual sinking rate closer to a type II sinking line, not an intermediate. The great thing about this line is that if you want to work shallower depths, you can do so without hanging up so often. If you want to go deeper, up to about 14', you can just countdown and wait for it to get there and then if you troll, just do so slowly to avoid pulling the line up so quickly. The ones I use is the Cortland 444SL clear intermediate line. If you want one that's slower sinking, closer to a true intermediate line, then the Cortland 444 Clear Camo is the one you want.

I do have an SA Uniform Sink Type IV line that's awesome to cast and sinks nicely, but I rarely use it. I pretty much only use it for sinking line chironamid fishing and for dragging leeches and dragons in the Fall in really deep water. Cheers.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i went to crappy tire and picked up a cheap type 4 sink line and cut it into 3 diffrent lengths,looped them to my floating line.depending onthe lake i just swap tips. also works well in a tube or a boat,as you can match speed to sink rate by switching lenth.its super cheap and for me,works really good.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I myself use the Clear Camo line from Cortland :thumbup: great line and easy to cast because it almost feels slimy LOL I have used it in deeper water and also working shallow shoals of under 4feet when that clear line is what you need because the floating or darker lines cast shadows and spook fish.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
A slow sinking line (like a true intermediate line), because of its lower density, as far as I understand it, will never sink lower than 14' (or whatever depth the thermocline happens to be in the lake you are fishing at a particular time of the year) no matter how long you wait because it can't penetrate that layer. I could be wrong though...does someone know for sure?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Stone,

Knowing what I know about oceanography and water-layer depths (as they pertain to chasing submarines anyway ;), I would tend to agree with you.

Cold water is more dense than warm water. That cold water requires a certain "breaking force" before anything can penetrate it (think of it as ice...it's the same concept). If the weight of the intermediate line is less than the "breaking force", that line will sit on the layer.

There are circumstances which will permit the line to break through the layer, but I can't see them happening in a lake. It requires a rapid influx of warmer water to float under the layer; and no, taking a whiz in the lake won't make it happen :naughty:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Thanks, 11th.

Also...14' is just a number that I threw out there. These thermoclines may be well deeper than that...maybe more in the neighborhood of 20' depending on a bunch of factors that I don't even pretend to understand. :)

Sounds like you have a cool job, 11th. Does it involve matte gray coloured slow moving planes with a long boom sticking out the back end?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.