BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, i would like to share an adventure that a few friends and myself are going to be working on and doing over the summer and hopefully summers to come. Years back there used to be a roughly marked trail heading from upper Foley lake to Ling Lake 12-14kms off into the bush, over the years it has slowly dissappeared and is almost non-existant now. There are some trail flags, metal post markings but it is almost impossible to follow. As of now we have about 4-5km of clearly marked and cut trail leading in.

Before i start: Anyone who would be interested in helping, or even maintaining this trail would be greatly appreciated, also FYI this is not for the faint of heart, this is 12-14km hike of rough mountain terrian with all sorts of hazards.

For the past few months a few friends of mine had made it their mission to get to Ling Lake. For those of you who have never heard of it before it is in the Chilliwack River District of Foley Creek FSR, past Foley lake a road (used to be a road) brances off to the right and goes towards upper Foley Lake. Forestry have deactivated this logging road with several cross ditches cut throughout it. You need a pretty decent 4x4 to make it up the deactivated logging road, with several 3-7' trenches cut as you go, a decent 2' deep river and around numerous hazards/boulders. Not to mention the road is almost beyond driveable due to it growing in and if you don't want BC pin striping up the side of your vehicle do not attempt. Eventually we are going to have to start trimming the road so i don't destroy my paint but for the time being we are in my friends bushed up 4runner that doesn't mind the stripes. Also FYI he is lifted 4" with 31's and has a locked rear end, not to say its difficult but definetly need something that can handle more then average 4x4n.

There is a large boulder that has fallen onto the road (size of a garage) and stops access to the end. From here it is roughly 10-15mns hike to the end where the trail head begins heading down to Upper Foley. From here the trail works its way through some bush and comes out to a large rock slide, cross the slide and work your way down towards the forest on the other end of a large bush/brush bowl. We have taken machetes and hacked a clearly cut 6' wide trail throughout the entire section. Once you reach the forest again you can see visible markers on trees leading into the forest. From here we have hacked out a fairly decent trail with pink flagging marking the entire way. A few sections still have old rope to assist in getting up some of the steeper sections. This goes on and on for quite a while, bush/brush bowls which you can see the lighter green sections on google earth and back to forest then back to brush. We have cut a 6' wide section through all of the nasty parts, cleared devils club, trimmed trees, cut branches, moved boulders and everything else you can imagine while trying to make a trail through straight forest.

At the moment i can not explain to much as I myself have only been there once with my buddies but plan on going every Saturday until we finish the trail to the lake. Two months ago they attempted to make it with full bags of gear and got within 2 kms of the lake but had to stop due to it getting dark (full 12 hour day of hiking without cutting trail) next day had to return home and they have yet made another attempt as the way in is to thick and rough to pack gear hence why we are now making a trail.

As we start again this Saturday morning i will start taking lots of pictures to post and more detail on what we are doing and our progress as we go along. At the start we all talked about it and didn't think we were going to mention this to many ppl as it would be nice to have a lake/camping area where all of chwk isn't on the weekends, soon we realized... this is 12-14 kms of rough bush ! why not share this information as there are limited ppl who would want to attempt, or even make a hike like this through straight mountain. Then we thought why not post it to an online fishing forum and maybe... maybe we would have some brave/willing enough to share this adventure and BC's beautiful wilderness, maybe not with us but on there own. This would help compact the trail, prevent small shurbs from growing back, and even if possible... bring a machete with them and help maintain a trail leading in.

I have not read much about the lake, well can not seem to find much info on it. If you google it there are a few posts on ppl attempting to get there, and one i can find on someone actually reaching the lake with a few pictures as well. I do not know for certain if there are fish in the lake, we have seen a few small cutthroat swimming in the river leading from the lake so one would assume there has to be something. But this is more or less about the adventure and accomplishment of reaching such a difficult area and to explore/see what many will never have the chance too.

This Saturday we will be heading up bright and early, backpack full of water and powerbars, machete in hand, pink flagging hanging out of the pocket as we make our way in.... we are hoping to get another 3km cut as we first have to hike the 4-5km that we cut already. This will need a quick maintain as we make our way in as well.

Not asking for anyones help here (but please feel free to do so :) ), just want to let our fishing community know what we are doing up there and possibly have others enjoy what we are working so hard to complete. Who knows.. maybe there are some 5lbers waiting and willing to bite anything sitting in there... once we have a full trail cut we estimate it about 6-8hrs depending on your capability and amount of gear to get to the lake. At least with the trail we wil be able to carry gear and rods in hand without fighting the forest like before.

Will report back next Monday: hopefully with lots of pictures to follow.

Anyone have any questions or interested in helping, or making the hike please let me know. This is not something were trying to hide as the more the better to get a good trail going as we know not the average person will be able or willing to even try this so it will not be crowded, busy or full of garbage like most easily access areas.

Untitled.jpg

Until next Monday... have a good week and tight lines !

Reactions: bassrock

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds cool keep us In the loop. I hiked to pierce lake last weekend and have already been up to greendrop back in April so the areas fairly familiar to me. Another hike in the area would be nice for variety. This Sunday I might be about.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It was a hike with a LOT of incline. Some beauty views on the way and the lake is gorgeous. Couple submerged shoals some nice in flow creeks. Caught both dollies and rainbows. Really beautiful fish in there. It took four hours to get up there with some rest and enjoying of sights and two and a half hours down. Just a lil bit of snow still up there. It's still cool up there and weather changes quickly in the mountains so be prepared. Hope you go for the hike. It's nice to get into some truly wild fish.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Should be some good fishin' once you get there; will have made the effort all worth it.

Solid progress.

:cheers:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would consider doing some hacking and flagging as well but not until later in August/September when I have some more free time. Looking forward to an update.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well for an update:

Made a good dent in the trail this weekend and probably only have one or two more trips to go until its completed. We plan on working our way back and forth clearing as we go in and out, more flags, move debris etc... for now just getting the main trail cut through. I tell ya there sure are some rough spots to get through, we got to a few points where you stand and look at how thick the brush is and are lost on where to even start and which direction to go. At these points you just start swinging and keep pushing forward. A buddy of mine went to town and cleared up front all day for us, hacking the main crud out of the way just so you could walk and the two of us followed behind clearing it wider hacking everything from ground up.

While taking a lunch break i took a quick look at the river that flows from the lake. In one spot i counted over a dozen small 6-10" cutties working the top water for what appeared to be small mayflys and other bugs. Did see one however that was about 14" so i'm certain there will be some decent fish in the lake.

The road leading in seems to get worse every weekend, its growing in fairly decent and will need some serious maintenance coming up here soon. Going to purchase a new chainsaw here next week which will help a lot for this. Once we get the trail complete and a decent trip into the lake were going to start working on the road, so coming up here soon, we will be able to get in without needing a new paint job afterwards.

Red line in the picture is what we have cut so far, yellow is what we have left to go. Also FYI... the lines are in the direction we went, not the actual trail, the trail heads down, up, left, right, zig zags and so forth. Can't detail the exact route on a computer but this was to give an idea on which direction we went. If anyone decides to make the hike, the trail is clearly marked. The only areas where it is slightly difficult to see which direction by looking for a trail is when you get into the forest, here we do not have to hack out a defining trail but more or less place flagging markers up. Keep an eye out for these and no one should have any problems seeing which way we went. Once we complete everything we will mark it every 15 feet or so so it is very visible which way to go. Right now there are some sections where you need to look up and see where the next flag is, (40' or so ahead) but you can clearly see the walking path from us going back and forth. We will work on these easier sections once we have the rough area completely cut through.

photo1.jpg photo2.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok... so not the best with computers in regards to editing and so forth... how do i change the file size to meet the 147kb restriction ? can not seem to attach my pictures showing the work were doing on the trail.. any help would be appreciated. On my work computer so do not have photo programs and so forth besides paint..

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Download Picasa. It's free. Open the pic with Picasa and choose 'Export' at the bottom of the page . During the export process there is a slider to resize the pic. Slide it all the way to the left. Export the pic to your desktop and then upload it here.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Just for your info you can probably make them a little better quality next time. Play around with it until you find the size the site will allow.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well... Didnt have the chance to get out Saturday with my two friends who went and hacked trail, I will have to get some pics from them and report back later this week with their progress. As I had some family things to take care of i was unable to go in the early AM do i decided to head up mid-morning and start doing some work on the road leading in.

Saturday morning :

Picked up a new little Stihl MS170 Chainsaw and a buddy then headed for the mountain. Started about 500' in and went to town with the saw on both sides of the road, other friend behind clearing as we went. Few hours later and we had enough of the black flies (forgot bug spray, not that it does much for these pesky buggers anyways) and decided to head home.

Sunday:

Called up one of my friends that was making trail on Saturday, we decided to head up the mountain and continue some more work on the road leading in. Got up there yesterday around 11:00 and drove to where i stopped on Saturday. We started to notice someone else has been cutting branches on the road as well. Saturday there was a white pick up truck parked right before a rougher 4x4 section with no one around, i wasn't sure what this person(s) were up too as nothng is around there. On Sunday came to the conclusion that after seeing the raod cleared past where i had stopped, this truck must be have been people clearing the road as well. If it was anyone on this forum, thank you very much. It is greatly appreciated to have some help. We drove for a while cutting here and there, didnt have to clear much as someone had done quite a bit for us the day before. Got to a point where you can see they stopped (awesome progress by the way:cheers:) pulled out the chainsaw and started going to town again, buddy with his machete hacking the smaller stuff while i knocked everything else out. Would go for a 150' or so then he would continue as i walked back to clear the road and move my Jeep up to us. Few quads up and down while we were there, thanked us for clearing the road which was nice.

Ran into 3 hikers who made the trip up to the lake Saturday morning, with full bags they mentioned it took them over 9 hours to reach the lake. They did not know we had started a trail and worked there way up the creek almost the entire way in. On the way out they found our trail and said it was a breeze hiking out compared to in, thanked us very much for all the work and said next trip they will bring machete's to help clear as they go :cheers: They camped over night and did some FISHING AS WELL !!! one guy noted he caught several smaller fish on the inflow end of the lake. He did however see some decent ones jumping. They said the water was beyond warm, bugs were insane but all in all was gorgeous and worth the effort to make it in there.

Called it a day around 4:00 and headed home, we have the road cleared to just past the waterfall where a large trench is cut in the road.

I will get some more info from my buddies there and report back later this week on how the trail made out. Hopefulluy have some pics as well.

Cheers !

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well.... Thanks to a couple of hard working friends the trail is finished. I was unable to join this weekends camping adventure as i had a scheduled MRI on Sunday.

Both of my friends made there way in early Saturday morning, they made it to the lake and set up camp on Saturday afternoon. Will have to get the complete run down but i believe they relaxed for sat evening and woke up early Sunday. They made there way back to finish the last km or so of trail before heading back to the lake to enjoy what time they could while being out there. They did a little bit of fishing which i will have to find out more on, i believe they caught a few smaller cutties on the fly and small croc spoon.

They packed it up around 10:00am and headed out. I was on my way up to meet them and doing some clearing on the road as i figured they would be out around 3-4 pm. As i was aout to reach the road i see them come around the corner, apparently it was easier/faster to get out then they thought. Took them just over 4 hours at a soild pace to get from the lake to the truck.

I will get some pictures to follow late on this week, from what i was shown looks gorgeous out there, can't wait to go out myself here soon. I think were planning on not this weekend but the following one. Going to be doing some more work on the road this week/weekend and trimming on the trail next weekend when we head up.

Almost forgot... BC Forestry and Parks have placed a brown post, whited lettering saying "Ling Lake Trail" ... peobably going to be giving them a call just to find out when and how they knew we were rebuilding the trail to the lake. Was quite interesting when my buddy showed me a pic of the post at the trail head. Cool to see though, hopefully people will start to use the trail and keep it from growing in.

Have to give props to my two buddies for what they have done up there, i was only able to make a few trips to hack trail and am beyond impressed with what they have completed in such a short time. Will try and get some pictures from them to follow later this week of the lake and trail. I believe one of them had a GPS so will try for some coordinates as well. It is clearly marked the entire way so not to much of a need for them if anyone wants to make the hike.

If anyone heads up please let me know how it went. Would be great to hear of any others who made the hike and let us know what you thought of the trail. Hopefully we can keep it maintained enough so it doesnt grow back so soon.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Bravo for you guys taking this on, and also sharing for others to read. I can't help think how in shape one would be after spending your spare time on such a project.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cutcoho:

I believe it is about 6-7 kms from where it brances off just past Foley Lake (not Flora). Could be wrong tho, never really looked at my buddies dash to check and my Jeep TJ's odometer is off from the lift and tires to get an exact distance. There is a boulder the size of a dozer that has landed on the road and is blocking vehicle access to the end. From here I'd say is only a 10 minutes hike up the road to the trail head, as well speaking of...

Called Ministry of Foresty today and they patched me through to a fellow that is in charge of trails and hiking in the lower mainland. He has a crew of about 15 guys working for 30 days in the lower mainland flagging trails and posting Trail Head Signs which they made last year. I talked to him for a few about the Ling Lake trail and he mentioned he was going to have a crew up there for 2 days doing some flagging, told him not to worry as we have cleared the entire way into the lake. He sounded quite impressed with what we have done, thanked me which was nice, will be passing the thanks onto my friends as well.

Driller: would have to say my cardio has improved from these weekend adventures thats for sure !, my one buddy is an animal out there, some times its hard to keep up and he was the guy blazing trail in front of us.. Myself have always been an outdoor guy tho, do a lot of gold prospecting year round which helps keep me in decent shape, i tell ya i'd rather be hiking/hacking trail over the days im packing a water pump, highbanker sluice, buckets, hoses, pick/shovel and camping gear up the mounatin to my claim thats for sure.. lol.

My opinion... beats sitting at home watching TV any day, (tho i'd rather be chasing some steel or fighing dinos ! )

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will only be able to make it up on a daytrip most likely so it will be a long day. How do you think a mountain bike would do on the 4x4 section or would it be better to just hike it?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info. I will only be able to make it up on a daytrip most likely so it will be a long day. How do you think a mountain bike would do on the 4x4 section or would it be better to just hike it?

I think a bike would help u out a lot for some sections of it, would mainly be cross country for you but the way down would be fun! Originally I thought the road was much worse then it actually is in a way. If u had a truck with decent tires you can make it no prob. Maybe it's cuz I was riding back seat in buddies 4runner and seemed worse then it is. I drove everything in 2 wd but mind you I have a lift with new 33x12.5 toyo mt's and a locked rear end. I coulda made it all in my old 2wd Tracker no prob tho, also we cleared a wack load of crappy sections already. Just have to have some sense when maneuvering around some sections.

At least with the bike and some low gears you could ride almost all of it depending on your capabilities for some up hill.

If you can get a vehicle I would highly suggest that, but if not with some effort would not be a problem to hike or bike it in. Now that I think of it the 3 guys we ran into last weekend hiked from the bottom up cuz they had a car.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts