BC Fishing Reports banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hey GF was it Mike P at MoF you talked to by chance. Great work to you and your buddies.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Looks like one of my favorite places is going to get a little busier now.

Im sure there will be minimal impact to the area... And you'll likely see no one when you do go. IMO hopefully there will be enough traffic to keep a somewhat trail there. Would be nice if the 100 plus combined man hours didn't go to waste by next spring....

Its not like we're talking of a family get together camping spot here, heck on the long weekend there were only 7 vehicles at Foley... I'm sure the amount of people willing to make the hike will be minimal, and from those few that do I'm sure you wouldn't even notice they were there

Reactions: cutcoho

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
How about the amount of ppl willing to make the quad/dirt bike ride up? ;) :p

Not at all possible in a dirt bike or quad. Won't even make the first 20' of trail. Not to mention the next 10 kms. If you make the venture out there you'll understand what I mean. It's quite the trail that's for sure. We have a rope tied about 30' in to assist in a small decent down a fallen tree and then across a large talice slide

I wish I could have used my dirt bike to get in there weekend after weekend we hiked the kms just to continue working on the trail.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ah. Well, that's good :)

You mentioned a mountain bike might make it so I figured a dirt bike could too, but I guess you can carry your mountain bike down a steep embankment. Tougher to one-arm a dirt bike :p
The mountain bike is for the forest service road, certainly not the trail.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
cutcoho:

Did you ever end up making the trip out there ? if so how did it go, we plan on heading out either this weekend or next to the lake. We also need to finish the rest of the road here soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have not made it yet. I am recovering from a shoulder injury and can't properly carry a backpack yet. I was hoping to be ready by now but not quite.

I have thought of going in with just water and food but will be disappointing if I don't bring my fishing stuff etc...

To boot my bike was stolen so I'll be walking the road unless my awd can make it.

I will definitely make it up before conditions up there deteriorate but may not be till September/early Oct.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could someone comment on the condition to get around the lake to the far end. I have found one picture; looks like the north side would be touch going along that rock slide area. South-east shore doesn't look too bad, although I imagine some thick underbrush and scrub.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Trail is fully marked and clearly visible (well was last year when we left it) i would assume that there is tonz of fresh vegetation that has grown in from what we cut out last year but for the amount of work we did it should still be easily walkable. I myself did not make it up there last year but i'm sure my buddies has some pics from both sides of the lake, i know they went to the top end where to creek flows in to do some fishing, i believe they accessed this from the South side opposite the rock slide.

We put a good dent in the road leading up there last year with a chainsaw, but there is still a good portion to go. It is dirveable in a decent 4x4 with some clearance as long as you dont mind some BC pin-striping...

Once my buddies and I get our spring bear here (hopefully soon) were gonna start working on the road again and make our first trip up to the lake hopefully come mid-june. First few trips are to clear up the trail again and do some maintenance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm still watching this thread and will make it up there this year.

Kind of worried about leaving my vehicle behind in that area.

Please let us know if/when you guys re-flag and re-hack at the trail. I might be in for some maintenance help if my schedule agrees.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm still watching this thread and will make it up there this year.

Kind of worried about leaving my vehicle behind in that area.

Please let us know if/when you guys re-flag and re-hack at the trail. I might be in for some maintenance help if my schedule agrees.
Have yet to have any issues with our vehicles, yet is the word though... with the distance from the main road i wouldn't worry to much about any problems. Just make sure you leave nothing visible and you should be ok.

One idea for ya.. Years back my friend had his truck broken into several times on the vedder river. Once his window got smashed out and twice someone messed with his locks. He went to walmart and bought a cheap 25$$ gun case (doesnt hunt, doesnt own a gun) now when he goes fishing he opens the gun case and leaves it in plain sight right across his seat or dash. Has yet to have a single problem since then, figures if someone see's the empty gun case it might make them think twice about breaking in not knowing where the owner is. Just an idea, worked so far for him.

Hopefully were going to make a trip up there soon, i imagine lots of new growth will have to be cut back. Once we get this hunting bug outta us and have some time i will post an update if we go or when we plan on going.

Cheers !

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah I did that a bit after and found it. Will definitely be doing this trail.
You can almost get right to the trail head with a good 4x4. There is a large boulder that fell onto the road last year and has blocked the last little bit of the road. Its only a 5-10 minute walk from here.

There are 3 or 4 cross ditches that you will have problems with if your truck is a pick up/box without any lift. My buddies 2000 Sonoma on 31's won't make the first major cross ditch without his rear bumper diggin in and lifting up the back tires. If you have a short wheel base it shouldn't be too difficult.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts