BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies and gents.. I will be fishing the Stave and Vedder for the first time on Oct 10-14 and have no clue as what to do. I fish with a spincast setup. I am not keeping any fish, just want to hook a few and hopefully get the wife hooked on what I love..FISHING!! Thanks much appreciated. :cheers:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
The spin cast setup can be awkward to work with as far as float fishing goes. You can do it, but it will require more effort.

You could cast spoons or spinners, or fish the float setup, both will work on most of the rivers around here.

More questions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the fish actually hitting the lures or just stopping them??? I have had bad luck on Steelhead because they seem to just mouth the roe and I can't destinquish a bite from the bottom. Therefore numerous snags. Argh!! I fished for reds In alaska and they were a kick.. however they didn't bite, you had to snag them more or less.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Steelhead will hammer the spoons. I have had steelhead hit my spinner so hard it almost pulled the rod out of my hands ;D . Also on the stave there is some great spots to chuck spoons on the lower part off of 282nd( I think this is the road, it's the road that leds to the dam on the ruskin side). There are some trails just past the trailor park. Some nice water there. you will be able to see them rolling. Coho will hit hard as well.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
If you were having difficulty distinguishing between bottom and steelhead lightly mouthing your roe, you might check out the link in my "signature" at the bottom of each of my posts. It refers you to an article about "short floating", this is especially pertinent to fishing roe, but applies to all terminal items and will solve that problem for you. I believe somewhere in the thread it also discusses some options for float fishing with a spinning reel...

Hope that helps,

rib

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
ya short floating is the only way to fish roe as you dont want your guts getting thrashed on the bottom but also when you get a hit you know its definately a fish unless you cast to far LOL did that last saturday a few times :'( but i was fishing a spot about 6-7feet deep and was only fishing from float to lead 2feet and then my 18" leader. when they wanted to bite you knew it.

HOOK

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was out at the Vedder today. There were about 15 or so fishing in my immediate area and over 4hours 1 person got 3 and two others each had 1 on their line (both lost). I got skunked. :'( I was trying to do short float fishing. I had approx 24" leader with wool and procured roe (orange, peach, green, red...all tried). I varied the length of the float anywhere from 2' to 4' from the swivel. I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong? Would love some advice from any the veterans out there. The roe didn't last long at all, 1 or 2 casts before only the skin remained. Maybe I should tie sacks. (I put it through the egg loop along with the wool.)

Also, I found that every 4th or so cast upon retreival, the swivel had gotten tangled or wrapped around the lead a bit...nothing much, but if it's like that when the floats going down river I certainly won't get anything. (I was using three split shots close together on the line.) As you can see, I'm a touch frustrated :pissed: ...well....maybe not that bad, but I want to learn how to catch the salmon properly (i.e, short float as opposed to BB). Thanks in advance for any suggestions you all may have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, glad to hear other people struggle other than myself.. I know people that make it look so easy.. Jerks.. :pissed:This site is awesome with information and good people. Hopefully us that struggle will be able to pick up a few tips from the vets and we can start baotloading some of these fish.. Otherwise I might turn to Dynamite.. Just teasing!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ja
Try light floats, foam type and 4 #2 split shot or 2" of hollow core lead . The hard plastic floats can wirl around and tangle up itself with the hook when lead weight is equal or lighter weight than the float. If you use plastic floats you need to use 25-30Grams of lead or what ever the float says on it .The lead has to pull the line out not the float.
:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.