BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a steelhead river on the west coast of Washington that is on indian reserve land and can only be fished with a guide from the reserve. Does any one know which river I am talking about? I am looking for some info so I can find the guide to book some fishing days! Thanks in advance.

· Registered
707 Posts
Re: Looking for info an a river that is guided by Native Americans

multiple rivers like that. Salmon, Cook Creek, Quinnault, Queets. Just to name a few. Most of the good guides are already booked for the prime spots. Had a buddy reserve his time back in June and barely got the times he wanted.

· Registered
1,519 Posts

I have a connection for you my friend! But I'll have to track it down.I believe it's the Hoh river. Lotsa big hatchery steel! I might take the trip soon myself!

Hotrod

· Registered
2,348 Posts

I think the Quinnault is probably the one you are thinking of. The tribal hatchery gets a huge return of large fish and the river below the lake (where the majority of the fish are caught) can only be fished with a tribal guide.

The Hoh is famed for it's large late run wild fish and can be fished without a guide, supposed to be a great spey river. It is located right between the Quillute (with it's famous tribs the Sol Duc and Bogachiel) and the Queets Rivers making it a great base camp to hit several world class rivers from. I would say march to early April would be good timing.

The Olympic Peninsula is a great place to visit, I have been making a trip down there every year lately. The beaches are fantastic and easily rival those around Tofino. As well there are several good steelie rivers.
Washington Licenses are very reasonably priced for US BC boys as well (45 bucks american so what is that 40 bucks canadian ;D

· Registered
176 Posts
Just be forewarned that "some" native guides are not professional at all. Remember I said some, not all. Some pull no shows, some are drunk, or have shoddy equipment.
One of my sales reps told me he went with a guide on the Quinault. He was forced to use a piece of crap rod & reel. When the handle of the reel broke :eek: The guide was literally pissed that he had to give up his good rod that the guide was fishing with.

Letty Potter is a reputable guide that is a contributing member on another site I frequent. Note: She is a She and by that I mean of the female persuasion.

Here's her site:
http://www.lettypotter.com/

Bottom line call and ask for references and CALL THEM. Otherwise, you could be in for major disappointment

· Registered
218 Posts
fishhog said:
Just be forewarned that "some" native guides are not professional at all. Remember I said some, not all. Some pull no shows, some are drunk, or have shoddy equipment.
One of my sales reps told me he went with a guide on the Quinault. He was forced to use a piece of crap rod & reel. When the handle of the reel broke :eek: The guide was literally pissed that he had to give up his good rod that the guide was fishing with.

Letty Potter is a reputable guide that is a contributing member on another site I frequent. Note: She is a She and by that I mean of the female persuasion.

Here's her site:
http://www.lettypotter.com/

Bottom line call and ask for references and CALL THEM. Otherwise, you could be in for major disappointment
I talked to her as well, has good references and seems like a solid bet...be warned though, she was book for the year and into next when I talked to her..
Let me know when your going, maybe I can sneak off too... O0

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.