BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to buy a TFO Pacific 2 or Trophy XL Tyee mooching reel.

If your selling one, or know anyone who is selling please let me know.

Tighlines,
Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i dont have the money for an Islander right now, ive heard good things about the TFO reel/drag etc..

·
Registered
572 Posts
I went thru 4 Trophys in one season, I bought 2 they died, the second set of 2 where replaced at the end of the season and I sold the new ones. I bought 2 MR3's and this will be their 6th year. The Trophys drag is not good and the drag palls fetch up allowing a free spool at the worst times. I run 4 MR3's now 3 right handers and 1 lefty, They are expensive but the quality is worth it. If you do decide to get the Trophys I would open them up every day relube and check that pall for binding.

Tight Lines

Bret

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dont have any experience with the reels the OP is asking about but is it possible the Trophys fixed the pall problem after the initial run?
Reason I ask is I bought a set of Islander MR2s when they first came out (touted as the holly grail of mooching reels) and they had faulty pall springs in them, lost the springs in all 4 reels with-in the first season. Worst case scenarios each time and man I was hating Islander (and myself for buying into the hype) at that time, so much so that even though they came out with new springs that fixed the problem I dumped them as I had no confidence in them.
Even the high-end reels have week points that take some time to address the problems from time to time but what counts is if the manufacture addresses the issue or keeps selling the same problem IMO

·
Registered
28 Posts
The trophy reel problem has been fixed ! I have two and used them all last season and a few days this year and so far so good

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have a couple trophy QR4.5 and put lighter drag springs (islander) in them and they work great now,
I actually use them more then the mr2s, and I also have 1 TFO and it is a great little reel really smooth and no line creep
like the MR2, but to each his own and I'm sure everyone will have different expierences with them

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have 2 of the skeena RST reels, their drag will stop a freight train, but they are new on the market, and had a couple of issues last season with them. First the reel seat came off then the handle fell off the other one. they took good care of me in fixing the reels. The thing i like best is they are maintenance free, sealed, so i dont have to touch them at all. RST is a high end fly reel company from Germany,IMHO they need bigger reel seats and handles, but boy they have a super drag on them.:2cents:....cheers Jamie

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 2 of the skeena RST reels, their drag will stop a freight train, but they are new on the market, and had a couple of issues last season with them. First the reel seat came off then the handle fell off the other one. they took good care of me in fixing the reels. The thing i like best is they are maintenance free, sealed, so i dont have to touch them at all. RST is a high end fly reel company from Germany,IMHO they need bigger reel seats and handles, but boy they have a super drag on them.:2cents:....cheers Jamie

I was offered one of the Skeena RST mooching reels two years ago for a fairly attractive price (for an Skeena RST) and went with another MR3 instead. I am interested in how they perform and your overall opinion on the quality.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Sounds like a great opinion right there! CB, how is it mooching down there, SW island about now?
Hope yer testing that drag these days...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts