BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking my dad up to Loon lake, the one near Cache Creek, for his first fishing experience. There is a bunch of us going, having a little derby. Does anybody have any info on this lake? I hear it's big and deep. Probably be trolling some flies, but some friend recommended sinking lines, the ones with the different colors as you get deeper? They just tie some leader to it and a fly and presto. Any thoughts on this? Could I throw this lead line on a 8 wt fly reel, put it on a lightweight river rod maybe? Or just stick with the fly rods.

Also, is there only rainbows in this lake? Maybe target something else of size?

Thanks for any info. Would like to get dad into some fish for sure.

Cheers! :beerchug:

· Registered
781 Posts
Not sure if you meant cast the line because I can assure you casting a lead core line would be out of the question.  When I was younger the only way I fished lakes was trolling around lakes using lead core line followed by about 8-10 feet of mono and then whatever fly was going to get the job done (this was done with a fly rod and reel).  Based on how many colours you let out you can gauge the depth of your presentation.  I fished loon once a long time ago and I remember having success using a maroon woolly bugger.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Grew up trolling that lake with my grandparents. Leadcore line is great for trolling, but not for much else I would not bother buying any unless you are planning on getting in to alot of this type of fishing. You should be Ok trolling a fast sink fly line this time of year, so I probably would not bother.

The best fishing at loon is the area around the Far end down by White Moose resort. Troll back and forth along the boundary line, also troll the shorelines along that end of the lake. For flies typical attractors will do you fine Spratleys in black or green, Cary's or leeches.

The lake should only contain bows unless the brigade has been there. Lots of fish, small for the most part. Good family type destination lake.

· Registered
691 Posts
Like others have already said, trolling lead line about 1 colour in the morning and evening and about 4 colours during the day. This will put you down about 40ft. If you plan on spooling some up I do backing, 5 colours, then about 60ft of 6lbs mono. On that lake either a loosely tied black spratley or a fly I do that looks sorta like a 52 buick but with chenille wrap. Trout is the only fish I have ever caught and usually nothing over 2.5lbs. It's a fun trolling lake. As far as Evergreen resort goes, I don't like it, White moose their relitives is nicer and friendlier. If you are staying at Evergreen they are strict on the 'No noise time' ;)

· Registered
47 Posts
Our family has a cabin directly across from Marigold at Loon (the rustic looking log cabin). We have fished it for years. I have only ever pulled out rainbows. Trolling with a fly has worked but just a troll and a worm has proven to be the most effective for us.

· Registered
4 Posts
If you just want to get your dad into a few fish, easiest way to catch 'em is gang troll and a wedding band. they sell them at evergreen and probably every other resort too. But its not really fun to fight a 14 inch bow thats trying to pull around all that metal. wooley buggers work great and pretty much any fly with a gold bead on it will produce. stick to the ends of the lake and troll the drop off.

· Registered
11 Posts
I agree with Pat. Was up there in August and stayed at White Moose Resort. I normally fly fish but my companions had lead line setups that caught fish to 1lb. consistently. I tried casting for fish off the dock at night with my flyrod and did quite well also with green woolybuggers

· Registered
26 Posts
Hello , new guy here ;D

I am planning a trip up that way and have a couple spare days and would like to stop in at Loon and fish for a couple days . I have always stayed at Evergreen too . Their cabins at White Moose , do they have fridge , stove , electricity etc.. They dont really say on their website , dont list rates or anything .

I have always done well trolling at the other end in that area in front of Marigold . But would like to try the WM end for a change .

Thanks

XJ

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey JeepGuy,

We stayed at Evergreen. The cabins were very nice, with lots of room. But the fishing was very spotty. Tons of fish jumping all over the place, but not much biting. And there isn't much chance of landing any big ones. If you landed a 2lber, that would be Massive!!...i mean masive. I think the biggest in our group/derby was 15 or 16 inches. I would recommend travelling an hour past Loon on the same road to Bog lake. Potential there for some biggies. the guys at Loon went up there a couple days and pulled some 3, 4+ pounders out of there.

Just my thoughts.

:beerchug:

· Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info man . Its funny but I seem to be hearing the same reports about many lakes recently . I figured water temps would be coming down and the fall bite would be on like crazy . I live in Kelowna and have been to a few lakes around here and all reports were slow to spotty in the last week . I went up to Becker ( outside Lumby ) and it was slow too . Many small ones . I also fish at Echo Lake near there and well its always tricky to fish anyways but its in a massive algae bloom right now ! Wonder how Sheridan is right now ?

Thanks !!

FIRE-FISH said:
Hey JeepGuy,

We stayed at Evergreen. The cabins were very nice, with lots of room. But the fishing was very spotty. Tons of fish jumping all over the place, but not much biting. And there isn't much chance of landing any big ones. If you landed a 2lber, that would be Massive!!...i mean masive. I think the biggest in our group/derby was 15 or 16 inches. I would recommend travelling an hour past Loon on the same road to Bog lake. Potential there for some biggies. the guys at Loon went up there a couple days and pulled some 3, 4+ pounders out of there.

Just my thoughts.

:beerchug:

· Registered
517 Posts
i fish Loon Lake a minimum of twice a year. been doing that for 8 years now. i always stay at White Moose Resort. from what i've seen, it's the nicest there. also, that end of the lake has the best fishing.

i use a full sink clear flyline, 9ft 8lb test Fluorocarbon tapered leader, 3ft 6lb test Fluorcarbon tippet and a small pheasant tail nypmh with a gold bead. i'll troll about 50 yards off the boundary, looping down the shore from there to about half way to White Moose. then across the lake, and back up the other side. get an electrice motor and keep your speed to barely moving. it should take 2+ hours to make a full circuit.

if i'm fishing with someone who has gear, i set them up with a 1/2oz mooching weight, 5ft fluorocarbon leader and a black with sliver speckles Kwikfish (Flatfish).

as for depth, it all depends on the time of year and mood of the fish. they always seem to be at a different depth. Berndt or Katie who own White Moose will be able to give you the latest on the depths and hot patterns. however, the above two setups have always worked for me. a green Sprately or "Frogger" Kwikfish (olive green with yellow spattered on it) also produce at times.

hope this helps.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny you mention the algae bloom, because I think even Loon lake had one too. It was not too bad, but looked almost like pollen all over the surface. Not NEARLY as bad as Campbell was, but still covering most of the lake. Wonder if this affects fishing? :hmmm: Funny, I've never seen an algae bloom before, until this year. I thought it was reserved for mostly shallower lakes that would get warmer.......guess not

· Registered
26 Posts
I was at Loon many years ago and at that time I had a small Frontiersman 11 foot fiberglass boat which I had just given a nice fresh coat of marine blue and the lake was in turn over . When I finally got home it was near impossible to get that stain off the hull from that surface scum . Powerful stuff that ;D

FIRE-FISH said:
Funny you mention the algae bloom, because I think even Loon lake had one too. It was not too bad, but looked almost like pollen all over the surface. Not NEARLY as bad as Campbell was, but still covering most of the lake. Wonder if this affects fishing? :hmmm: Funny, I've never seen an algae bloom before, until this year. I thought it was reserved for mostly shallower lakes that would get warmer.......guess not

· Registered
298 Posts
I usually go to loon lake every year or so with my dad, have been going there about 18years. Usually troll all over with a fly under some leadline myself or a fly at the end of some floating line on the surface at the beginning of the lake. Fishing used to be great, seems to of slowed down a bit and with smaller fish over time. I enjoy returning there as often as i can.

· Registered
517 Posts
darcycote said:
bravo,steelheadstalker. thats giving up some info. we need more posts like that. :thumbup:
lol. thanks. :peace: i think that's what this board should be about. sharing technique, recent reports and tips, not griping about snaggers etc. it's really not that hard to do. no need to give up honey holes or your catch-a-fish-ever-cast method. but the general info is a great thing to give to someone trying a lake for the first time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.