BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Loon lake with the family last weekend. Had a chance to fish with the kids on a few occasions. The highlight of my trip though is the morning before leaving back home, I decided to do one last fishing at first light. I hooked my first fish, had it right in front of my boat and next thing you know a bald eagle flew right over my head so close that she touched my hair with her belly and grabbed the fish. The fly was still inside the fish’s mouth so I had to brake it off in the mid air. I’m sure this has happened to some of you and if it has you know how shocking it is. Had to seat down for a few minutes to catch my breath. Hooked another fish 20 minutes later and the same thing happened but this time the eagle took the fish further from the boat. The 3rd fish, I decided not to give her the privilege of stealing it so had to do some cat and mouse game before bringing the 3rd one in to the boat. Later I learned this was fairly common at Loon Lake.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Wow that definitely must of been an awesome site... mindu kinda lousy when they do it a second time... I guess they are well fed eagles over there - glad you finally were able to keep one AND keep it away from the loons that may have taken it from you under the water :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
That happened to some guys I was with at Loon Lake a few years ago. They had forgot their fish chain so tied a fish to a rope. The rope was about 7 or 8' long and thus the fish tied to the end was about that from the back of the boat. They say an eagle did a few low passes and then came in for the steal. As it went airborne and the rope tightened it ripped the body from the head. The fellows come back to camp and sure enough...all that is left on the rope is the fish head. They were pretty stoked about it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's funny how you neeed to worry about seal in the salt and loon and eagle on the lake. At least the fish went to a good cause. The eagle had couple of chicks to feed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi capman we were there last week also and saw the eagles swoop down many times to steal fish.
Just wondering if you were using lead core line with a wooley bugger or black fly.
In the past we used flat fish with a frog pattern with great success but not this year.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Panel, no I was not using the setup you mentioned. I used fast sink with a dark Doc Spartly and that was the only setup worked for me. Opposite to the resort I found some less deeper section and mainly trolled there. As you know the lake gets deep very fast and at least for me found it a bit difficult to do proper fly fishing there.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i've had loons try to steal fish on me before. never had an eagle do it though. however, one year at Loon Lake, i had an opsrey circling the boat and making hesitant dives at the fish i was playing. he never committed, though he did circle the boat for a while after.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have been going to Loon Lake (White Moose Resort) every year for the past 30 years. Usually troll sinking fly line, 30 ' of leader (4lb test line), and various flies with black or green spratley's being the most common.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have not had one try to take the fish off the line but recently when i took my son out for his first char he caught a nice 13#'er. well i put it on the fish chain (double hooked) and we continued fishing. A short while later i heard the fish thrash alongside the boat and he pulled out both hooks and was floating away behind the boat. Within 30 seconds an eagle swooped down and latched on....he tried for a while to get up with the fish but it was just too big for him, it was pretty cool to watch him that close struggling to get airborne with that fish. Great memory for the kid on his first char, wish I had my camera handy!!

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts