BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be in the Cabo area Nov.16 for two weeks. Probably fishing by myself most of the time. Just wondering if any other members might be in the area.
Ken

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi Ken,
I might be able to offer a report from the area. I will have been there from Nov 9 to the 17th. Will be staying at Las Mananitas in SJDC.
Do you have any links to good reports or info? I am planning on bringing a fly rod and a medium weight spinning rod. According to my wife "we are there for a family vacation - no fishing charters" but that doesn't mean I can't walk the beach casting to roosterfish in the surf does it?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hi Ken,
I might be able to offer a report from the area. I will have been there from Nov 9 to the 17th. Will be staying at Las Mananitas in SJDC.
Do you have any links to good reports or info? I am planning on bringing a fly rod and a medium weight spinning rod. According to my wife "we are there for a family vacation - no fishing charters" but that doesn't mean I can't walk the beach casting to roosterfish in the surf does it?
That's a bummer that you're not allowed to experience the great fishing there. Good luck with the Roosterfish.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm not that worried about it. I really don't really find the idea of a guided billfish or tuna trip that appealing for some reason. Something about dozens of boats crowded into a small section of ocean with big fat guys almost going coronary while playing a 100 pound fish till it's half dead turns me off, release or not.
You never know, maybe I will change my mind while I'm there. They aren't huge like the billfish and tuna but the roosters look like a blast on light tackle, fairly hooked.
I will probably give these guys a call www.thereelbaja.com. A friend in Connecticut who freelance writes for various fly fishing magazines highly recommends them.
Grant

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Well....... you really got me pegged - fat guy playing 100 lb fish. I will point out that extensive research shows that mortality rates are the highest playing fish on light or fly tackle and those Marlin literally fly out of your hands when they are released.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hi Ken,
Hell Im all for bringing the rod!!! One of the best fishing trips I ever had in Mexico (manzanillo) was at the Las Hadas where the waiters at the bar ON the WATER... brought us Margaritas along with shrimp for us to use as bait... now whats better than that :thumbup::thumbup: Oh and they made the best coconut margaritas = if they make them there - try them!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have contacts down there for fishing but plan to fish a few times and Betty(wife) will only fish once or twice. Sounds like it has been a good year so far and I hope it lasts.
As for the family outting. You could get a half day panga charter and be back before the rest of the family gets out of bed!! She'll never no.
I have never fly fished off the beach in San Jose but have spin cast and got some fun fish. Definately worht a try.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah, I'll be happy standing on the edge of the ocean with a cold beverage taking the occasional cast. Maybe a panga with my 9 year old son, I dunno.
I don't buy the mortality rate argument when a fish is played on the right weight gear, and I have never seen a fish swallow a fly deep into it's gut. Not saying it has never happened but I have never seen it.
No offense Tofino! Some of my best fishing buddies are fat bastards. Being a skinny guy, I just hate the idea of having to try and lift them up over the gunwale after the coronary...
Kidding. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yeah, I'll be happy standing on the edge of the ocean with a cold beverage taking the occasional cast. Maybe a panga with my 9 year old son, I dunno.
I don't buy the mortality rate argument when a fish is played on the right weight gear, and I have never seen a fish swallow a fly deep into it's gut. Not saying it has never happened but I have never seen it.
No offense Tofino! Some of my best fishing buddies are fat bastards. Being a skinny guy, I just hate the idea of having to try and lift them up over the gunwale after the coronary...
Kidding. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Is is simply a fact that billfish typically have a higher morality rate when caught on the fly or light gear. In fact it is the marlins that have a higher chance of having a coronary. Nothing to do with swallowing a fly but more to do with how long it takes to get them to the boat. If you are using an appropriate weight rod for the fish you are targeting you have a greater chance of releasing that fish unharmed.

There are good opportunities to fish from the beach around cabo and good luck with the roosters!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sorry, Sinktip. I didn't realize that you weren't a hardcore fisherman. Also, it's common knowledge that over playing a fish kills it with lactic acid buidup, whether you've experienced it or not.

And finally.......... my parent were married so i'd say i'm not a bastard. Have a good vacation.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is is simply a fact that billfish typically have a higher morality rate when caught on the fly or light gear. In fact it is the marlins that have a higher chance of having a coronary. Nothing to do with swallowing a fly but more to do with how long it takes to get them to the boat. If you are using an appropriate weight rod for the fish you are targeting you have a greater chance of releasing that fish unharmed.
Exactly!
I like fly fishing. Don't really like bait much. I simply don't want to over stress or kill these magnificent fish unless I'm going to kill it for food. Just personal preference. If I was going to try for billfish or any large species, I would use whatever would allow me to catch and release without doing serious damage. That said, nobody can tell me that one type of fishing is worse or better than the other just by the gear alone. It is the attitude of the people doing it that is the most damaging. If someone doesn't give a sh*t about the resource, they aren't going to do sh*t to protect it. If a large fish is hauled in on heavy gear, held out of the water in the sun for 10 min being photographed, then "released", how is that better than a conscientious fisherman on lighter tackle playing, reviving then gently releasing the fish while its still in the water the whole time?
Now before someone calls me an elitist snob or something, I catch lots of salmon on lures and gear. I have a dozen or so ocean caught Sockeye fillets in the freezer. I fish until I have enough for my needs then I stop.
FWIW - I don't recall ever disputing that overplaying a fish is bad, did I? And oh yeah I'm hardcore, in my 20's I made some coin in a couple of good business deals, took a year off and spent it on over 150 days on the water in four countries - and no I wasn't guiding.
Woo Hoo! CABO baby!
Peace

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is, but we will still get there. The wife took a fall out of a tree stand and cracked and compressed two vertibrae. no broken bones though and she will recover. No traveling for three months though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts