BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks back I picked up a 2 hp 1979 johnson seahorse and an older Sportspal canoe. The outboard is in awesome shape and has been well looked after over the years. I hung it on a sawhorse and ran it the other day for 10 minutes. Started on the second pull and idled along nicely. I didn't run it on high . I only let it run on low because the leg was only in a rubbermaid tote, and I didn't want to soak down the floor in the garage. I leaned it against the wall in the garage afterwards and left it there. This morning I came out to the garage to do some work, and noticed some water and "oil" in a small puddle on the floor. Not much oil A half a table spoon or less is my guess.. It appears to be coming from the water intake. I'm wondering if this is a seal issue or could it be from the 2 stroke oil ? Anybody here ever experience this? any input would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
143 Posts
sometimes the exhaust area will appear to leak oil but that may be your oil gas mix. I hope for you, you do not have a crack on the interior leg. If some one let it freeze and water had got into the leg prior to that it my have froze and cracked.
Just my 2 cents

HT

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding is it was run last summer with no issues,and spent the winter upright in my friends garage in Penticton over the winter. When I brought it home it was laying on the back seat of my truck. It left no oil on the seat. And then leaned against the wall in the garage here at home for a couple weeks with no leaks..Only after the brief run here at home, did she dribble out a wee bit. I'm both hoping and thinking that its 2 cycle oil from the fuel, but figured I'd inquire and see if anyone else has seen this.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to replace the leg oil anyway, when you open the bottom plug note if there is any water present, if not drain the oil and replace. Have a happy summer.

Tight lines

Bret

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey Hakai Moocher

I have seen that before under my old 2 stroke after I flushed it. There is probably less oil than you think as it is probably laying on top of the water and spreading out more than normal, Now in saying that is the water and oil in a spot that looks like it has driped out from the prop area?. I would agree with Bret on that it's probably a good idea to change the leg oil anyway. If the oil is free of water I would think you should be ok.

Centerpin

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hmm...lower leg oil wouldn't be coming out of your water intake if you had a leak in your lower leg. If you drained a little bit of your lower leg oil, you should be able to tell right away if your seals are leaking and there's water in your gear oil...unless it's been changed recently.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't believe the oil has been changed recently. I'm going to drain it this afternoon, and proceed from there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I ran the old girl for 10 minutes in my tote again. The surface of the water in the tote had a lovely skin of oil on it whan I shut her down..Then I drained the "milk" out of the leg. There is surely a leak in the lower seal ! I'm doing a teardown as soon as she stops dribbling out what used to be oil . Thanks for your input guys.... Wish me luck.... cheers Hakai.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up a service manual and the parts yesterday. Put in the new seals last night and ran her again for a half an hour . Seems fine now. I'm going to take it out on Allouette lake for a couple hours this morning and then check the gear case for water. Hopefully this test drive will involve some kokanee for dinner. Thanks for your replies...Cheers........................................<)))><

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Good stuff! I have an old '69 JOhnson 6hp outboard that needs the lower seals replaced. I'll be doing the same thing soon...was it a lot of work or not too bad?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was pretty simple. I found the service manual on craigs list for $15. Seals,gear oil and a new prop hub and shear pin were $ 70 at Bridgeview . A couple hours and it was done. I have had it out only once since the repair, but it does not leak anymore! Sure beats paying a $90 p/h shop rate. Mind you my 2 hp has no foward or reverse. Just a simple little gearbox with two seals and one o ring ! If you need the service manual or the parts book I have a phone number for a fella in Maple Ridge, who seems to have a library of tech books for old outboards.. If you want the # pm me and I'll pass it on to you.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Thanks, Hakai. I think I know who you are talking about...Ken, right? He's supposed to send me my manual, but he accidentally sent me the 4 stroke instead...so still waiting for the 2 stroke version to arrive. If it doesn't, I'll get one from Ebay.

Good to hear it's not too bad. Should be simpler than the knuckle rebuild I have to do on my front axle soon. :( I'll probably go through a case of shop towels with that one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup thats the fella! He had my service manual and the parts book for $15 bucks. Good deal. The hardest part was having patience while prying out the old seals. I'm a hammer crowbar duct tape type. But it all went well.They recommend using omc gasket sealant for the new seals but it was suggested to me by a ex marine mechanic we have working at deltaport that "permatex aviation form a gasket" is a way better product. And cheaper as well. With the motor being as old as it is, I hope you have no corrosion inside. I got lucky, mine had next to none, and was only on the upper driveshaft. The gearbox and prop shaft were like new.. Cheers......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts