BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a productive river in the lower mainland that produces sea run cuthroat, dolly varden, bull trout, etc. I wanna fish both spinning and fly fishing. I heard the stave, fraser backwaters, harrison, squamish, and other salmon streams hold these. But my question is where is a good spot on the fraser or harrison to fly fish for these. Could I just park somewhere and walk down to the Harrison off the highway and start catching fish?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I am looking for a productive river in the lower mainland that produces sea run cuthroat, dolly varden, bull trout, etc. I wanna fish both spinning and fly fishing. I heard the stave, fraser backwaters, harrison, squamish, and other salmon streams hold these. But my question is where is a good spot on the fraser or harrison to fly fish for these. Could I just park somewhere and walk down to the Harrison off the highway and start catching fish?

Thanks
Given that you aren't allowed to take these fish you might want to rethink the name.........

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yikes. I wouldn't give a guy with a handle like Fillthefreezer directions anywhere that there was even a chance of cutties being present. I like cutties too much. :)

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I would try the Lilouet River (sp?) for the Char but you need a boat to get to the best spots and its not a simple day trip. You'll find that most 'productive' rivers will have more difficult access so if youre into parking on the side of a major highway and hoping to hook up with fish, you might have to put in a lot of time. It might be better to explore some out of the ways locales. The cutties are available in the Harrison however but they are always on the move so again a boat helps to keep you in the game. Yes, these fish are not really suitable for meat in this region for obvious reasons, but your handle may not necessarily mean that's what your goal is so we can give you the benefit of the doubt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
The harrison does have some, I got into a nice 2lb dolly varden a few weeks back but you will need a boat. I was fishing with a couple of guys that fish everyday for a couple of hours in the same spot. I lucked out as I was only fishing for the day.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Used to be you could fill the freezer with dollies and bull trout; in fact, they filled so many freezers with em its hard to find em now. Not a freezer filler myself so don't really read the regs much but last time I did they said you could'nt kill dolls or bulls south of Jervis Inlet.

MM

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha I love my first post and I am already getting slagged. I barely keep fish, the name is a joke, it is funny. I follow the regulations as well so im not killing anything, maybe I took one big chrome spring, and a few coho out of the few hundreds I caught this fall season. Im just looking for something to do in the winter besides from steelhead which im super excited for.

·
Registered
47 Posts
he is probably sarcastic with his username choice.
I suggest a username change otherwise there is a good chance to get bullied for no reasons in many occasions.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
haha I love my first post and I am already getting slagged. I barely keep fish, the name is a joke, it is funny. I follow the regulations as well so im not killing anything, maybe I took one big chrome spring, and a few coho out of the few hundreds I caught this fall season. Im just looking for something to do in the winter besides from steelhead which im super excited for.
Hilarious ???

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
maybe I took one big chrome spring, and a few coho out of the few hundreds I caught this fall season.
Wow, you had quite a productive Fall. I don't know you personally obviously but with those numbers it would be good to hear your advice on catching fish. Seems to me you don't need much advice from other members. Am I missing something that other members know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol oh my..... hmm well i chose to ask for advice because I have never fished for trout in rivers really. Salmon yes... Trout nah, thats why I am asking for advice their two different species with different characteristics. I am not going to change my name as I like it and could careless what others think, I dont see this name as innapropriate or offfensive it is just a name. Some of you seem way to wound up, and try to cyber bully? haha beats me. I really could care less for much of the responses that are being said to try and basically harass me. This is a public forum and I posted in the General Discussion which is in for advice, tips, etc. So me asking a question shouldnt create tension, arguements, etc. I came to this forum to talk about fishing. Not to dispute about a name. If it is deemed inapropriate I would gladly change it if a moderator or admin asked me too. Anyways I hope we can all get over this minor issue and talk about this topic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At big green machine, I basically went fishing everyday,and knew the rivers I fished. No one can ever have learned everything. There is still tons to learn out there.

·
Registered
604 Posts
@FillTheFreezer....I haven't been on here long either but I will tell you that this is far and away the best site around for information about local angling and while your handle isn't offensive or anything like that it does make a statement that isn't looked upon as "funny" on this site. Couple that with the fact that you get defensive about it and you're not doing yourself any favors there either. I have found the people on this site are more than willing to answer every question I have asked and considering that many of them are guides that make their living off of the local fisheries that is very commendable of them. I have also found that this site is loaded with individuals that are very serious about the practice of angling morals and ethics. This is something I personally like and surely you can see why many are hesitant to give you information because of this. As the saying goes 'You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.'

·
Registered
47 Posts
I personally don't have any problems with that username.
tight lines.

@ Hendy
you are right. for some it is their bread and butter. so, you can't expect much of information and you see sometimes overreactions.
but I can attest I got lots of positive responses and friendly replies in this forum and I appreciate it very much.
just don't ask about the locations. that is a very sensitive question as long as I learned here.
controversies and disputes about fishing techniques is not anything new in anyone of these fishing forums. we all have to live with that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I Could see people being angry if I asked does anyone know a river where I can limit out on fish everyday?.... But I didnt I just wanted to know of some rivers, and what techniques work well at those rivers. I am open to learning. Lets say I am a guy who bottom bounces with wool with a 4 ft leader, and I go to the vedder lets say 50 percent of my fish are foul hooked. I come to this forum and ask questions, if I just get slagged and dont get any information how will I ever learn.

That was just an example I cannot remember a time where I took my float off, to bottom bounce. I have never fished for sockeye either cause its is just rediculous and its straight flossing. Anyway, I only want some info on some rivers, not spots, just rivers, and what works welll in them. I love exploring for spots and finding new places. I catch and release mostly. So dont worry I am not filling my freezer. I am just shcoked on how people thought I was filling my freezer with fish. In fact I was filling it with safeway bought chicken instead.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I Could see people being angry if I asked does anyone know a river where I can limit out on fish everyday?.... But I didnt I just wanted to know of some rivers, and what techniques work well at those rivers. I am open to learning. Lets say I am a guy who bottom bounces with wool with a 4 ft leader, and I go to the vedder lets say 50 percent of my fish are foul hooked. I come to this forum and ask questions, if I just get slagged and dont get any information how will I ever learn.

That was just an example I cannot remember a time where I took my float off, to bottom bounce. I have never fished for sockeye either cause its is just rediculous and its straight flossing. Anyway, I only want some info on some rivers, not spots, just rivers, and what works welll in them. I love exploring for spots and finding new places. I catch and release mostly. So dont worry I am not filling my freezer. I am just shcoked on how people thought I was filling my freezer with fish. In fact I was filling it with safeway bought chicken instead.
4 foot leader? Some people may even give you kudos for that! lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts