BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have read many posts in here about mainline strength for Vedder or Harrison, yet still not sure which I should go with. I have a bait cast reel and 2 years river experience now. I am confident and finally comfortable in using the reel. I have 20lb test now and need to change my line as it is due. I am conflicted between using 20lb test mainline with 15 lb test leader or 15 lb test mainline and 10 - 12 lb test leader. I plan on fishing for springs, chum, and coho in next few months. I do want a challenge yet do not want to be snapping leaders too often. I do know that improved fishing techniques will help, yet acknowledge that will only come with more practice.
I was also planning on respooling the new line myself and have found some helpful articles. Any problem with a dark green mainline (Mustad brand) or is Maxima Ultragreen the one to go with? Also what about the leader, can I use the dark green or again should I stick with the lighter color - ultragreen? (was given the dark green line as a gift).
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kingfisher2006

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I would go with Maxima Ultragreen its the only line i use for mainline and/or leaders its tough and the test poundage they put on it is very under rated for what the line will actually handle. I go with 15lb mainline and nothing heavier than 12 for leader mostly use 8or10lb. if i cant get any 15lb when i need it then i use 20lb (which i had to this time) there isnt much difference between the two thickness wise so its more of what your comfortable with. If the Mustad line is the line im thinking of its probably not the best line for the beating it will recieve from Chums and Springs LOL these fish have lots of power and can stretch out your mono no problem. if this line cannot take a good stretching without snapping i suggest not using it for your mainline because your leaders will most likely end up being stronger. I have had many times where my mainline has broken before my leader when fighting fish because the leader was new line and mainline was used enough to be stretched out to much :wallbash:

hope that helps some

HOOK

P.S. I also wouldnt go heavier than 12lb leader as you wont need it, I have landed some monsters on 12lb as alot of others on here have done it also. you can land huge fish on 8lb if your willing to put in the time to fight it and also have the skill to.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I prefer to have 2 or 3 setups when fishing a variety of salmon, I will list for what and when to use a setup.

Springs, chums, steelhead. Medium action rod, soild baitcaster or pin will be good. 12-15 mainline, 8-12 leader.

Coho, sockeye, pinks, steelhead. Light action rod, baitcaster or pin. 10-12 mainline, 6-8 leader.

I would say these are a good match when determining what your going to target. Consider, when fishing in a fast flow use heavier gear, as your not going to land a 30-40 pound spring with light test if it decides to hit the heavy current.

I prefer to use maxima ultra green as I do not lose many fish due to snapping, and seems to hold up better even with a slight abrasion.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use always the same rod and the same 20lb mainline. Re leaders, last year was my first fishing season and I used 15lb and 12lb. I needed some experience fighting. This year I am using leaders of 10lb or 12lb, and I am not going to increase it. Next year I am aiming at using a mainline of 15lb and leaders of 8lb and 10lb. See. It is not confusing, it is that we are all different and have differences in how much we feel confident fighting the fish. I use Maxima for both mainline and leaders.

Giuseppe

·
Registered
102 Posts
My Vedder Setup:

Centrepin (target Coho and Pinkies): 15 lb mainline and 8-10 lb leader line.

Baitcaster (target Springs and Chum ): 20 lb mainline and 10 to 12 lb leader line.

Use Maxima for mainline. Clear water conditions, use flourocarbon leader lines. When dirty water use Maxima leader lines.

Just my preferences after three years of fishing on the Vedder and the Squamish.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I can see that overall most everyone is quite similar. I will use the Maxima as well, 15 lb mainline with 10 - 12 lb leaders. I tried a different brand of line (it was gift) as leader the other day and after about 30 minutes, I had to change to due to twisting of the line. The Maxima has never done that to me.

Kingfisher2006

·
Registered
26 Posts
I only have one rod and I've been using the same 50 lb tuff line that came with the reel. I need to be able to fish for everything with this one Rod but what would be the disadvantage to using the heavy mainline in the vedder as long as I have a light Mono leader? Or is there any?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Flinch said:
I only have one rod and I've been using the same 50 lb tuff line that came with the reel. I need to be able to fish for everything with this one Rod but what would be the disadvantage to using the heavy mainline in the vedder as long as I have a light Mono leader? Or is there any?
you can use a rope Flinch, then surely you are ready for anything! :happy: just kidding :) I personally don't thing there is any difference especially in the vedder. the only difference is that 15lb and under you may start breaking lines especially in fast runs.

:beerchug:

Giuseppe

·
Registered
695 Posts
i myself use maxima lines for eveything for main i use 12lbs and for leaders i either use 8-10lbs mono or pending on conditions then i switch over to florocarbon

·
Registered
90 Posts
Learning how to play your fish is key. Some idiots it dont matter what they use, they still break off.

Maxima is good, never really had a problem with it.

I like to use P-Line, just to be different. Its cheaper in price and as good if not better than Maxima. P-Line CXX, P-Line Flouroclear are my favorites. There flourocarbon leader spools are also very strong and stands up very well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.