BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one I agree with. There was far too many unethical anglers snagging Pinks while they're trying to spawn in the Mamquam river. When will some people learn how to use ethics on the river?
STOP DRAGGING SALMON ONTO THE BEACH AND KICKING THEM BACK IN THE RIVER. Buy waders or brave the cold water. Release fish in 12" or more of water.
The Squamish river remains open for Salmon fishing.

"Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0904-RECREATIONAL - Salmon: Region 2 - Fishing Closures in Region 2 - Mamquam River

Further to FN0715, water levels in many systems throughout the Province
continue to be extremely low and river temperatures in many cases are reaching
lethal limits for fish.

Effective August 22, 2015 at 00:01 hours until further notice, the Mamquam
River is closed to angling. All closures previously announced in FN0715 remain
in effect.

This order is made in conjunction with a Provincial order. The
result of these two orders is a complete angling closure in the
listed waters."

·
Registered
547 Posts
I went to the mamquam 2 days ago and what i saw was absolutely disgusting, never seen worse ethics in my life! People dragging fish onto shore, taking the hook out, and letting the damn fish flop back into the water, i saw at least 5 fish that died just due to the fact that they were not pushed the extra foot into the water. I talked to a few people and they refused to change so i gave up. One guy caught a decent fish and i guess he wanted to keep it so instead of bonking it, he let the fish suffocate, i went and said "why dont you give the fish a quick death instead of making it suffer" and he replied with a sarcastic "mmhmm". I was one of the only people releasing fish ethically, i treat every fish as if it were a steelhead and i hope at least one person read this and helps educate some more "fishermen" about the proper catch and release methods.

RANT OVER

if anyone wants to know how the rest of my fishing trip went, id be more than happy to write a report so just reply to me and ill write one whenever i have a minute!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I went to the mamquam 2 days ago and what i saw was absolutely disgusting, never seen worse ethics in my life! People dragging fish onto shore, taking the hook out, and letting the damn fish flop back into the water, i saw at least 5 fish that died just due to the fact that they were not pushed the extra foot into the water. I talked to a few people and they refused to change so i gave up. One guy caught a decent fish and i guess he wanted to keep it so instead of bonking it, he let the fish suffocate, i went and said "why dont you give the fish a quick death instead of making it suffer" and he replied with a sarcastic "mmhmm". I was one of the only people releasing fish ethically, i treat every fish as if it were a steelhead and i hope at least one person read this and helps educate some more "fishermen" about the proper catch and release methods.

RANT OVER

if anyone wants to know how the rest of my fishing trip went, id be more than happy to write a report so just reply to me and ill write one whenever i have a minute!
Did you call RAPP? Perhaps we need a new rule. No complaining on the internet about illegal behaviour unless you reported it.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Calling is important.
Even if you don't see them show up.
It puts the area on the radar!

Unfortunately there are too few officers spread too thinly.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Im just a bit confused on when the river is closing, is it closing right after sunrise? So if i went tomorrow (august 22) would it still be legal to fish the mamquam?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had called RAPP about 10 times in 4 trips there. One officer actually called me on my cell and said he'd be down there right away. He never showed up. It's embarrasing to know that clients see this crap. Thanks to our lousy provincial and federal gov't salmon haters for cutting funds from something so valuable.
I'll be voting in October.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Salmon Spawning

OMG .... I know this post may come across as making a point... in the "Wrong Place".
But .. it is a fact that should be mentioned.

* certainly not an excuse for the SNAGGERS!

Okay ... so when salmon spawn they make nesting beds called: Reds. These beds (the majority) are usually found "further" up the river systems. where there are rock beds & typically colder water. Some ... can definitely start their spawning anywhere along the route ... but in general -> DO NOT SPAWN in the river mouths or "First Stages" of the lower river.

There can be "anomalies" to this -> If there is an Obstruction (Dam, Slide etc.) the fish will sometimes have to try and make do with what they have... there really is no choice. Same goes with the given water levels & temps. They got to deal with what is in front of them.

My understanding of the Mamquam and it's OPEN SEASON BOUNDARIES (Before the Closure) was it STARTED at the RAIL BRIDGE (upper limit) and was open down to the Mouth where it becomes the tributary of the Squamish. *Squamish being OPEN From it's Tidal boundary ->UP stream.

The distance from the Mamquam's Mouth ... to the RAIL BRIDGE is only about 500 meters. When I was fishing there (This Exact area .. From the mouth to the Rail Bridge / Aug 18-19) I did not see any of the PINKS SPAWNING or making Beds. They were MOVING UP RIVER. Going to spawn ... but NOT SPAWNING in the ZONE allowable by the regs.

Physically & Geographically.

Same holds true at: Ambleside, Cap .... Furry Creek, Seymour, Garry Point ("holding" / "migrating" -> but not spawning)

·
Registered
547 Posts
When i was at the mamquam right below the train bridge about a week before you, i actually noticed lots of pinks spawning there, soetimes its just hard to spot the small spawning females in the huge crowd of rotting males

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Sorry Blair,
And the point is?

Actually some do spawn there and spawn a lot closer to the ocean than other species.

I'll send you a pm later.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The mamquam closure was very well timed. I was there on Friday and saw lots of spawners right near the confluence all the way to the train bridge.
The week before I did not see any but there was many now and the closure was needed as the spawning fish should be left alone especially with the high temps and low water conditions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a bit confused on if the Mamquam is closed or not.

[url]http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html
[/URL]says that the river is closed to angling period, but also says that one hatchery tagged coho is acceptable. I had a cabby tell me that the Mamquam is now open to Coho, but I'm unsure if I should listen to him. I also tried to call a conservation officer, and after navigating through several automated messages I have given up.

So is it closed to angling period? Or is trout/bass/coho alright? I'm going to fish the Squamish River until I find out, but it's all fairly confusing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Specific In-season changes trumps the regular season regulations. When FN0904 is in effect, you can't fish for salmon including coho. FN0904 is salmon only fishery notice so it doesn't apply to the other fisheries.

I don't see any in-season changes for Mamquam for non-salmon:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/changes/1517/region2.html

So for non-salmon, the regular season regulations apply.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Specific In-season changes trumps the regular season regulations. When FN0904 is in effect, you can't fish for salmon including coho. FN0904 is salmon only fishery notice so it doesn't apply to the other fisheries.
It seems odd that the reference and link to FN0904 is still in the table because that notice was rescinded. As the table says "all except coho", it appears to me as if it is closed to all fishing for salmon except coho and you can retain one hatchery marked coho.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts