BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'll be fishing Mon or Tuse. Spectacle was a little slow, but there was a 5 hour interruption when my partner started coughing up blood. We still went back though, and picked up one ;D. Looking to fish something different and easy. I don't really know still water, and don't know chronnies at all, so dries and trolling in a blue inflatable is my style. Report please. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately I will not be fishing Maple lake today as planned. My kids have been sick all week and I came home from work early yesterday with the same thing. I was in bed by 5pm last night and woke up this morning still not feeling that great :wallbash:

Rest and fluids for me today; for tomorrow I fly to San Diego :thumbup:

Let's here the reports guys :peace:

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey Guys.....I went to Maple lake on Thursday. My first time there - nice lake- nice size for pontoon/float boats. There were about 4 boats on the lake. There were lots of small trout feeding near the surface. Lots of dimples all over the lake.
I arrived at about 4:00pm and fished till 6:00pm
I caught/released about 6 fish - all same size. All the "rainbow catchables" that were just stocked- no doubt! I always catch the small dumb ones.
Would like to find bigger fish in that lake?
I was using chironomids - #12 - generally black/red rib with white bead and a little peacock herl behind head.
Looking at the action on the surface, I would think success would be greatly increased with a small "emerger" pattern.

This was my first time at chironomids and still learning the technique but the fish didn't seem to care too much.
I wouldn't mind going out again in the next 4-5 days .
I'm in Parksville if you're looking for partner.
cheers.....and good luck

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good report Cadet, thanks. There are larger fish in the lake but the "small, dumb ones" are fun as well :thumbup: I just wish there was more room to cast from shore since my kids don't have a 'toon'. With all those ripples on the surface I'd love to get out there with a Tom Thumb and have a field day.

If I get enough warning that I can go out, I'll send you a PM :happy: I don't know very many people up here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Warrior: yeah....drop me a line.....if you have time. I noticed two guys that were spinning off the shore and they caught some as well.
They were on the north-east side.....the water is quite deep off that shore.
Maybe tie a float on the spinning gear and some leader with a fly for the kids to cast out. I've seen lots of guys flyfish with a spinning gear/float set-up.

Good luck......and drop me a pm if you find those bigger fish.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm probably going to take the kids next Saturday so I'll try the float/fly thing with them. They both have good quality spinning gear and I need an excuse to try out the new chestpack I won on eBay :thumbup: (Fishpond replica for $40). Thanks for the suggestion.

As for the bigger fish, if you head directly away from the 'boat launch' 500yds or so, it's quite deep there (close to 20ft?). I landed a 2-pounder out there and another larger fish (3-4lbs?) waved at me as he went airborne and tossed the fly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Whoa.....3-4lbs.....hmmmmm?!!!
Nice.......I will definitely try again........and see about finding some of those....

I am going on a little holiday with the wife so fishing is off the menu for a few weeks
but I get to go diving and look at fish first-hand....almost as good as fishing.

will check back and see how you did......hope your kids hook-up .....that's how I got hooked.

cheers......cadet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey Warrior: I'm going to keep my eyes open for bone-fishing spots....??!!!! Got to be some around Roatan where I get to go diving.
Maybe flyfishing for bone-fish would be Fun!!

But check out this dive site that I was considering...
http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/shorexDetails.html?groupId=RTB_28

Chumming the water before going down......that should get those big fish excited...!!!

cheers....Cadet.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not a chance in HELL am I going swimming with sharks, LOL. I did do a reef dive on Saipan a few years ago. We were in a grotto and a reef was separating us from open ocean, but you could see the tiger sharks on the other side, just pacing back and forth waiting for food to come out. Those suckers are HUGE.

Have you dove before?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.