BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day All,

I will be on vacation with the kids to Mara Lake next week. I was hoping someone had some information on maybe some spots and what to possibly use for Kokanee or other species. I guess I could have named the post "Mara Lake Moron", because I truly don't have a clue. I will of course ask around when I get there.I thought maybe I could maybe pre-buy some stuff.Thanks and Tightlines

·
Registered
57 Posts
Howdy Lacombe...

Many fond memories of Mara Lk; camped there with my folks when I was 10-ish then years later, killed some fine (10-lb range) Shuswap rainbows in the late 70's. Since Mara is connected to the Shuswap system it might work to apply some of the same logic that I learned after much trial & error. Shuswap rainbows were - bar none - the most awesome freshwater fish I ever caught. I've heard some of the Old-Timers' up there talk about the days when the lake produced 20 to 30/lb rainbows. I believe it; my Father inlaw lost one close to 20.

I trolled at 70/ft in about 100/ft of water (downrigger & sounder) with a red/white/pinkish 3-inch Mac Squid plug.
Don't know if you can get Mac Squid plugs anymore but maybe Tomic has an approximation.

The big trout in that system are nomadic, roaming in and out of bays in schools in search of Kokanee. When you find them, work fast; the bite will be over in a half hour or less.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck
Terry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.