BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I meant to post earlier but been too darn busy. Hooked one at Lickman around 7 in the morning, it cartwheeled a few times and threw the hook. Just on pink wool and a Jensen egg. The colour in the water was nice after it darkened up on Friday. She came back into shape nicely.
One thing from that day bothered me quite a bit. Mid to late morning after I walked up river, three fellows decided to walk down the run two thirds the way and walk into the water below a handful of fisherman that had been there all morning. The guys that were there already were all standing on the bank and I think only one of them had waders. The rest were in gum boots and runners.
So the latecomers basically walk into the river up to their waste and start fishing.....and laughing....and talking in their native tongue.......and laughing some more.
One guy was fishing with a Centrepin - so he definitely new better than to do that.
My only thought aftere hearing this from one of the guys that was there is 'WHAT THE #&*%'
I guess after a while they buggered off.
I just wish one of those other bank fisherman would have drifted right into them and snagged their waders, but I guess they have more patience and class than I would have.
It's one thing to deal with more and more people on the rivers, but these A-holes take it to another level. What happened to respect on the river?
Anyways, if one of you are reading this.........GIVE YOUR HEAD A SHAKE......because one day someone will do it for you.

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
vicsteve, I feel your pain and there is always more than one way to view anything. At the time, all things considered, I can see why this would have frosted your behind. On the other hand these
gentlemen may have been trying to make a point of there own ,albeit as blunt as it was and may
be in poor tast but sounds to me they knew exactly what they were doing.

:cheers: Marko

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I know of the fellow in the gum boots.I hear he is that spot each and every morning.Only spot he ever fishes and he fenceposts it to death.So i tend to agree with Marko,these fellas may have been trying to make a point.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What Marko said!! Would probably have to side with the guys Steelhead fishing with waders rather than the fenceposts. BTW what does the language they were speaking in have to do with it?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just because one has a centerpin don't assume that he knows any better. There are alot of centerpinners out there that only givea damn about the meat. This kind of behavior is common courtesy on the Lower Vedder nothing new about that news. If You fish that part of the river better get used to it. That is why I spend 99% of my time on that river above Vedder Crossing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My description of these gentlemen is meant to point them out in case anyone knows who they might be. If you want to read more into that, go right ahead.

If what they did was meant to 'make a point' that's just passive aggressive crap that doesn't need to happen. If a fisherman comes into a run that has some guys in it already, the proper etiquette is to see if the guys are moving down the run, and join in at the top, or if they are not, let the last guy know that you're going to fish below him. The fish are hooked close in on that run, so there's no need to wade in unless you're in the tailout. I was fishing that run, I was in waders, I fished and moved on. I was fishing with those guys that don't fish like me, and I hooked a fish. I didn't need to act like an ass, so I didn't.

Dennis, if we're talking about the same guy, he's in his 70's. He can't walk the river like we can. If I'm above him and he's not moving, then I'll go around him. Simple.

There's a lot of different people out there on the river; spey fisherman, gear fisherman, bushwackers, wealthy folks and guys on UI - and fisherman that stay in one spot (I don't like the term fenceposts, because one day we might all be like that) It's to each their own on how they want to fish. The thing is we all have one thing in common, we love fishing, otherwise we wouldn't be out there in the cold and pissing rain.

I find that for a group of sportsmen like us BC anglers, with our fisheries in major trouble, there is sure a helluva lot of divisions between all of us. Seeing how our forest and fishing industries are being sent down the crapper, we should show each other more respect on and off the river and be united. That will never happen when boneheads like these guys on Saturday engage in that type of activity.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The perception at the time is when they walked into the river and started speaking another language, it was to look like they didn't know any better and didn't understand. Whether that was actually the intent, I don't know.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Thank you Space cadet, I could'nt agree more just because he had a centerpin does'nt mean he know's what he's doing. This is the new craze, gotta have a pin,gotta have a pin., don't know what I'm doing but I gotta have a pin. I'm suprised that kind of crap has spread from the fall fishery, and so they were talking in thier native tounge, they were probably making jokes about walking in. It's too bad the lower is turning that way cause there is still some beautiful water down. here

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crazy Drifter you're bang on.

I know that I just need to get over it at some point, but I'm passionate about this kind of stuff. Maybe it's how I was raised. I think it's up to the guys that do know what they're doing to influence the newbies on how it works, but there needs to be a united front and people need to speak up. There doesn't need to be confrontations, but telling someone that what they are doing isn't cool is at least a start.

Taking the easy way out and ignoring this stuff when it happens just contributes to the problem.

Cheers

·
Registered
489 Posts
Fenceposting shows poor ethics and is specifically called out in the MOE ethics guidelines:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/ethics/#Rotational
If the river is not busy and I happen apon a slow or fenceposted angler I will certainly ask them if I can fish below.
Anyone fishing below Lickman knows that there is a fenceposter every 50 feet most days. Most of them never catch fish so I don't understand why they do this.
Does this mean you have to ask each of them to fish below?
or does it just mean that since you weren't there 2 hours before first light to stake out your spot that you shouldn't be allowed to fish there??
The guideline does not define how you should treat someone demonstrating poor ethics.
1. You can't report them (it's ethics not regulations).
2. You could confront them but that's unlikely to be successful (see 1) and hardly enjoyable.
3. Sure you could always go somewhere else but if the river is busy there are fenceposters on just about every decent stretch of water.
It's a busy river but no one has the right to own a run.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good points Typhoon,
I think if someone is there at or before first light and they want to plant themselves on a rock and stay there all day that is their right and anyone can fish below them which is that fisherman's right as well. NOt everyone is going to move through a run and not everyone is going to start above someone else - I've seen lots of guys walk straight to the bottom of a run, fish the tailout and then move on. but walking into the middle of the run and joking about it isn't necessary.

·
Registered
423 Posts
imagine how much better you would feel if you didnt let it bother you.....if you felt so strongly about it at the time you should have said something, anything after the fact is just playing the victim, (poor me,Poor me) guys walk in below me all the time, they walk into the water all the time....just relax and go fishing....if your going to complain about it but not do anything you are only at fault yourself....center pins mean nothing nowadays as everyone has one and they all think they are gods gift to the river, just because they caught 5 fish this year on it....

my biggest gripe this year is the arrogance of the younger kids on the river.... they are like pirahna s everything you hook a fish, ten of them show up and none catch anything....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hear you tnt, you're right. I'm done thinking about this....I wasn't actually there at the time, I happened along shortly after.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Guys I cleaned up a couple post and deleted a couple more you all have good points but try to make them without racial slurs and poor language.

This is an all ages forum.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts