BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
206 Posts
Re: Ribwart's First Steelhead...

Very Nice!
Never caught a fish that big before on the fly, must have been an amazing feeling fighting it.

· Registered
209 Posts

Good job Ribby! Gives me some hope that a newbie at the spey can get into one in their first season! :thumbup:

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Stylin Finder, Stylin'... :thumbup: I need to get me one of those, but perhaps in another color... ;)

On another note, as far as the first fish on the Spey goes, man it's been a long time since I've been that excited about a steelhead! Particularly one that is as dark and dirty as that one was...I highly recommend to anyone out there that has enjoyed success on the gear to give other techniques a try...It really is a fantastic and rewarding experience to go through a learning curve and then successfully hook up...I tried the single hander for steel and got one on my first trip out, but I cheated, I knew precisely where the fish were, there was no work to it. The Spey on the other hand took some work, some thought, and some experimentation...after somewhere around 7-9 trips, the reward made me feel like I was 15 again and had just caught my first...it was awesome...

Words don't do it justice...

Try new techniques, put the time in...when you catch that fish you were searching for you'll be so glad you took the time to give a different method a try...

Good luck out there everyone,

rib

· Registered
1,519 Posts

A great read and what a great day!

I might someday go to the darkside and start fly fishing but right now I am having way too much fun gear fishing.

Hotrod

· Registered
151 Posts

Nice work rib!

He's so right, switch to a new technique, and you'll feel like you're in school all over again... And once you do finally hook up, it's like you've caught your first steelhead all over again... Pretty hard to beat that feeling!

Cheers,
Nicole

· Registered
3,378 Posts

"Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off to fish I go".........If I don't hook up with some steel this weekend, I will have a lot of nice gear for sale... ;)..... :eek:.....If everything goes according to plan I should beach 2 or 3 and the drought will be over!
......Ortho 8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.