BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to the cap yesterday oh my oh my wheres all the water i could have walked from the cable to the dog leg no joke . did see some nice steel swiming in the dog leg scared us a bit when the monster bucks just felt like swimming by to say hi .no luck need snow to melt for the C O H O 'S :happy:

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Re: the big mighty cap creek

did see some nice steel swiming in the dog leg
I was staying at the Travel Lodge near the river on Saturday and decided to go for a walk along the river. I couldn't see how a fish could swim in that low water but I did too see a pair of steelhead in the pool of one of the runs, if you can call it that. Man I wish I had my rod with me because everytime I went to fish that river I never seen a fish. Go figure. When I got back to the hotel, all the gas has been siphoned from my car, ten feet from my hotel room. Nice.

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts

Sorry to hear about you gas siphoning incident BGM...

Almost time to stop fishing the cap anyways, as most of those fish will be settling onto their redds soon...I don't fish the cap after about next week or so. Each year I make the conscious choice to leave those fish alone. I guess you could call it "my own regs" for the river, but for several of the less popular rivers I fish, I try to leave them be after a certain date. I really feel bad when I hook tired, colored fish...when I know a run is smaller and the numbers aren't as good as they should be, I stay away from certain rivers, even though I know precisely where the fish will be. Besides there are several other great rivers, the vedder being one of them, that get good runs of late fish that command my attention.

I think I will go into this philosophy of mine a bit more in depth in a new thread, but suffice it to say, for now, that I know of a few anglers that are targeting those fish these days, I know precisely where they are fishing, and I hope that they too give the fish a break after a certain point in the season...we want those fish to spawn right...? Even our own personal trainers give us a break after a while lest we die of exhaustion... ;)

That is not to say I don't walk the banks of the cap from time to time, especially this time of year, but I leave my rod at home, because I know a good percentage of the fish I hook anywhere above the highway will be starting to color up pretty good soon...

My only hope is those of you that do fish the spots I speak of, consider what i have just said. That's all I ask, consider the perspective I offer, it's not criticism, it's not an attack, just a point I think we all should consider about each and every river we love to fish for Steel.

Gather info on the run size, and timing. Find out what the stocking and conservation concern level is, then decide how you will interact with your river...there comes a time when we should be happy to see fish in their spawning pools so that we know they are settling onto their redds rather than so we can go grab our gear to catch them.

My personal opinion, as rib, not mod...

:cheers:

· Registered
409 Posts

I go over the river a few times a day, last week OMFG what a flipping joke, the most water coming down the cap was from Brothers Creek. At Marine Drive the whole east side was dam well dried up, then them *ick#eads wonder why the Cap's run of steelies is so bad gee i wonder why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope to god the river comes up slow, wonder how the Coho fishing this spring will be ugh.............

· Registered
225 Posts

yeah, the river levels are pathetic! the weather has not been kind to the Cap Steel this year. too much snow not enough rain. Rib, you're spot on w/ your timing. usually the last week for me is the last week in March. then it's wait till late april, early may for the ho's. but with the rain over the weekend there is the hope that the river will rise enough to bring in a last few freshies. if not......well at least i didn't get skunked this year and I learned more about the fine art (read; insanity) of steelie fishing.....That aside, a word to the GVRD...... for the love of Murphy open the frigg'in dam!!!!!!!

· Registered
1,702 Posts

we'll thank god its raining, me and cody are goin on friday(tomorrow) with the fly, hit up the lower. Gonna see if we can pick up a few later fish, leave all those canyon spawners alone. We'll probably start around Bryan Williams or Badger and work down slowly. Cody got the spey so he wants to try it out, and i'm just up to go fishing, lol :thumbup:

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts

Cody picked up a spey did he...hmmmm, should be interesting...I fished the spey through the lower once this year. Brian Williams, The pool just below the highway, and down by the retirement home were decent enough pools for the spey...Good luck out there, nice meeting you the other day young gun... :thumbup:

rib

· Registered
1,702 Posts

ya, it was cool to see you (finally ;D), ya cody's really lucky this year, new spey, he's been at the vedder inn since tuesday, up there still, little bugger needs to know when to take buddies out. :thumbup: he's a great guy!

Ya if the water comes up we'll go fish badger, cus it has 2 nice boulders right through the middler of the run that should have fish behind them, but if its low, then no point, we'll start at doctors then, Only problem with badger is its tight quarters gotta wade to be able to throw a good loop, which puts u really close to the main slot, i'm using a singler hander 6 and 9wt's see what the water's like, most likely gonna be fishing tips if the water is up but if low and clear i'll use the floating line. We'll see how it goes, i really wanna hit a slot down towards marine drive, should have a fish or 2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.