BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I are planning a trip to Pitt Lake for the end of March.
Has any one got any experiences they can share about fishing the lake, expecialy in March or April but all reply's welcome.
I know that the cutty's are the main fish as well as bow's but has anyone taken any Dolly's or Steelies in the lake?
Also the regulations say catch and release only, at the north end of the lake between the sighns, I would presume that is only C&R at the north end in order to protect The Upper Pitt R. am I correct or does C&R apply to the whole lake?
Sometimes the regs. are confussing and us anglers are not all rocket scientists

:?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just saw the post and was concerned what type of boat you guys taking to the north end, I only ask because I've seen that lake get nasty beyond belief and right out of no-where.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are aware that weather is a factor on the lake, and prepared to postpone should the conditions not be favorable.
At this point we are hoping and praying for one of those nice calm Spring days void of wind, shooting for March 26th but will just cancel and try again latter should weather not be good.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have fished Pitt Lake Many times over the years. Unfortunately for you, i've never been to the north end because I had a small aluminum and I would not dare to go that far in that little thing. I have however fished up to Goose Island. I have had some sucess fishing in front of the Island when you come up towards it. The first huge rock face. I trolled deep around 55'. Also around the corner to the left side I took the troll over there around same depth, usually deeper though. I have fished a few other spots that a small 12 footer can go with sucess like the mouth of um spelling.... Widgiton Creek. But the southern mouth not the one right across from the canoe rental.
Good luck on your trip.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Go to know you're going to watch the weather, I've fished the river but not the north end of the lake, but there used to be some good fishing right down at the south end on the back side the island that widgeon creek runs around. Where it's almost a slough. Also just another warning, I've been coming across that lake and it's dead calm and then you round the point from the north end heading back and all of a sudden you've got 5-6ft. waves and they don't just come at you from one direction it's like getting caught in a 2 big boats wake. so make sure your in a well equiped boat

Then again I've got friends that take a 14ft cartopper to the other end...Go figure. :roll:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Begining to look as if no one fish's up there by the lack of responses. COOL guess we will have the lake all to our selves.
I might even be nice and post results.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Big Lake makes it hard to find fish...there is no real hotspot that I've heard of. Just cover water ands maybe you'll get lucky....try a small flasher and a spoon down deep...BIIIIIG LAKE!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fish finder helps narrow down the search, and I have talked to an oldtimer friend of mine who has acctualy fished up there who gave me some ideas and assured me that it sounds like my buddy and I have a good plan of attack of our own.
I am not a rookie at this thing called angling.
In my OP I was more or less looking for others to share thier experience, but if I don't get any more info I am sure we will do just fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looking fwd. to the report BM7. Never bothered much with Pitt only fished it twice once in the Widgeon slough area and once up to and along the mid west shore line. That was in mid April and we were try'n for cutts as we had just finished watching Mark P. do quite well on SFBC. so we figured we do the same. I like to watch the fishfinder as I'm driven and I must say I did'nt see alot of fish. I have heard many a tale of Pitt being good.Cheers.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Every time I go there (usually early summer) it seems the majority of the local anglers leave the docks a couple of hours before sunset...not sure if this is the way during the winter/spring season. Oh and about the weather flaring up...there are lots of nice gravel beaches to land your boat on in case you need to get off the water. This lake, as you get past the speed restriction area, gets very picturesque and beautiful :eek: ...make sure you take the cameras! I'm sure you will! Cheers! -Nathan in NW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts