BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From another post here, I found an app for the iPhone called "Marine: British Columbia". It's ten bucks and made my iPhone into an acceptable marine gps device. All maps included for the ten bucks. Very cool for any of us that don't have a decent GPS on your boat yet. My wife would kill me if I spent the cash for a GPS unit right now. That will be on my Christmas list.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
This is a great app for your iPhone. I have it and have used it alot as well as compared it to the performance of some much more expensive units and what do you know, they perform the same. It does lack chartplotting abilities but for anyone on a budget it's the best $10 I have spent in a long time. It even works 20 miles offshore (wcvi)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
This is a great app for your iPhone. I have it and have used it alot as well as compared it to the performance of some much more expensive units and what do you know, they perform the same. It does lack chartplotting abilities but for anyone on a budget it's the best $10 I have spent in a long time. It even works 20 miles offshore (wcvi)
I bought navionics for my ipad not sure of the cost, but it's identical to the fancy boat installed units. Chartplotter, speedo... Everything one needs!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Just found this site http://www.everyipod.com/iphone-faq...d-gps-how-gps-works-real-time-navigation.html

Says this....

The iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4 use A-GPS -- or "Assisted GPS" -- which in basic terms accesses an intermediary server when it is not possible to [COLOR=#330066! important][COLOR=#330066! important]connect[/COLOR][/COLOR] directly via satellite -- indoors, for example -- and this server provides the nearest satellite with additional information to make it possible to more accurately determine a users position.
Apple explains that the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4 also use "wi-fi hotspots and cellular towers to get the most accurate location fast" when GPS is not the most convenient method of location detection. The iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 also have an integrated digital compass to also provide the direction one is facing, which is quite useful when combined with mapping software.
Which sounds like a better system with more ways to "connect". I have also heard that you can use an external gps antenna that will connect to your iphone (or Ipad) via hardwired or bluetooth but can't confirm it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's all the justification I need to buy an iPad!!!
The navionics app is available for the iphone as well. I've been using the salt and freshwater versions of it for the last year and works great especially for the $10 price tag for each. GPS, charts, plot waypoints or save tracking lines etc.

One warning... it will suck your iphone battery dry quick (couple hours). I purchased a small extra battery that plugs into the iphone for full days on the water.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
...I have also heard that you can use an external gps antenna that will connect to your iphone (or Ipad) via hardwired or bluetooth but can't confirm it.
I would say it's very unlikely it would connect via bluetooth as the version of bluetooth currently on the iphones/pads/touches is extremely limited in functionality and IMO, will probably be removed in v5 for an HD video camera and a 256 gig chip.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would say it's very unlikely it would connect via bluetooth as the version of bluetooth currently on the iphones/pads/touches is extremely limited in functionality and IMO, will probably be removed in v5 for an HD video camera and a 256 gig chip.
I don't like to contradict, but I'm afraid I have to here.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that they are going to remove bluetooth for these HD video and larger memory, but if so, I'd have to disagree. They can't really take it away, due to the need to support handsfree wireless headsets. That is an absolute must-have for any modern phone.

Note that there is at least one external GPS that connects through bluetooth to the iPhone - the one in the TomTom car kit (and I think the Magellan kit). I was surprised to hear this, since I haven't seen any others that can connect. It may be a special thing they arranged with Apple. I'm not sure if it is even supported by any programs other than navigation apps (although I do know it will work with other satnav programs).

FYI, the iPhone 4 already has HD video (720p). I'm not sure if there would be much benefit in going to 1280p with such a tiny lens, but they may do it anyway to make it sound like an upgrade.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How does it work? I am wondering if it works via cellular network or satellite? I was worried that it would only work near cell areas.
The iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4 use A-GPS -- or "Assisted GPS" -- which in basic terms accesses an intermediary server when it is not possible to connect directly via satellite -- indoors, for example -- and this server provides the nearest satellite with additional information to make it possible to more accurately determine a users position.

Apple explains that the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4 also use "wi-fi hotspots and cellular towers to get the most accurate location fast" when GPS is not the most convenient method of location detection. The iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 also have an integrated digital compass to also provide the direction one is facing, which is quite useful when combined with mapping software.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I don't like to contradict, but I'm afraid I have to here.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that they are going to remove bluetooth for these HD video and larger memory, but if so, I'd have to disagree. They can't really take it away, due to the need to support handsfree wireless headsets. That is an absolute must-have for any modern phone.

Note that there is at least one external GPS that connects through bluetooth to the iPhone - the one in the TomTom car kit (and I think the Magellan kit). I was surprised to hear this, since I haven't seen any others that can connect. It may be a special thing they arranged with Apple. I'm not sure if it is even supported by any programs other than navigation apps (although I do know it will work with other satnav programs).

FYI, the iPhone 4 already has HD video (720p). I'm not sure if there would be much benefit in going to 1280p with such a tiny lens, but they may do it anyway to make it sound like an upgrade.
I would like nothing more than to agree with you, trust me! Apple is not obligated to keeping BT in their phones simply for hands-free devices because the truth is, roughly 75% of iPhone users don't live in an area where a hands-free device is mandatory. The BT enabled GPS's which connect to the iPhone, act as a hands-free device for placing calls and are in no way connected to the GPS of the phone, for triangulation.

There is a list I saw last year that was "unofficial" from Apple, which had device types (remote controls, headphones, garage door openers, etc) and models that were compatible with the iPhone's BT...let's just say it didn't take up an entire sheet of paper. If you google "iphone compatibility problems" you'll see what I mean.

We're getting off track and I apologize for the hijack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.