BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha from the beautiful Island of Maui!...I am located 30 miles West of the Kahalui airport halfway between Lahaina & Kapalua in a small, quiet area called Kahana. Currently, the weather is overcast and a few clear breaks with a temperature of 20C. On arrival, last night my wife and I took a stroll around the neighbourhood and wouldn't you know I sighted my first fish within 5 minutes. It was a small catfish in a freshwater lagoon just at the edge of the property. There were lots of small bass as well and I have heard tales from the locals already that this very stream does have a large population of BIG bass, but much further inland in the jungles.
For now, I am making calls and setting up the freshwater/saltwater charters and watching the giant sea turtles and grey whales frolicking in the waters right outside my door.........Ah yes, this definitely beats working!.Todays fishing report from the Island will be up this evening........Ortho 8)

******Update at end of all posts............Ortho

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Re: Maui Fishing Adventures

If i wasn't such a chicken when it comes to flying i'd go to places like that! Something like the thought of being in a plane for hours on end just gets to me! Hope your trip is an excellent one ortho! You missed an excellent giants game lastnight final score was 5-1 and with that win vancouver takes first place in the west! Have fun on your trip and catch and release lots of fish!

C.K.

·
Registered
648 Posts

it is with mixed emotions that I read your report, Ortho. :'( :) :'(you lucky stiff!
that's ok, tomorrow we're huntin' steel!

·
Registered
694 Posts

Don't forget to go for a swim down at 14mile beach, that was one of my favourite reefs to snorkel around. the reserve up above kanapali wasn't near as nice due to visibility. I actually perfered 14mile to molokini. The turtles definately are cool. ;D

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

I wish I was there with ya Bro!

You gotta get out to Mama's fish house for dinner or lunch.I went there with the wife on our honeymoon and it was superb.A bit pricey but hey you only live once.

OH yeah, when the honeymoon was over...............it was over!!!! ;D ;D

Hotrod

·
Registered
347 Posts

Ortho, I have not fished for bass where you are now, and I know many folks on our web here have a bad view of them, agreed for your B. C. waters. However, go try them, it is not like all the TV show fishing; we fish for them in ponds on ranches and small steams away from where any of the crowds can get to. Catch and release only. 2-8 # on top water baits and I gty. you will like it. Later. Salt.

·
Registered
279 Posts

Ortho,,,we're all jealous that you're nice and warm and enjoying those "coffees" on the beach ;)

Anyways I agree with Salt, if you have a chance to go fish for Bass there take it. Lots of fun. Top water baits are sure to get you howling when they are slammed by a nice size Bass :eek: !!

I'm sure you'll regale us with loads of fishing tales here and when you get back.

Take care and have a blast!! Have a coffee for us!! ;D

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Day 2 of the recon missions took us to the Kaanapali area where I followed up on some hot leads from the manager of the complex we are staying in. Talk about good fortune!!. Mike (the manager) is close to my age and has fished all over the world. We spent a few hours talking about the Islands and all the "freshwater" opportunities that are available here on Maui as well as the saltwater.
Mike also told me of one day when shore fishing just down the road a few miles, he hooked into a shark so big, it spooled the Penn reel, but not before the gears blew up and the reel came apart and tore all the guides off the rod before making its escape. He showed me what was left of the rod and reel. What a sight!..He estimated the shark to be in the 500 lb. range and swam about 30-40 miles per hr. I asked him what he had used for bait and he said "an 8lb. whole octopus"!
He also told me of the fish in the ponds at the golf course. Now, we do have carp at many of the courses at home, but they pale in comparison to the size of some of these puppies with many hitting the 25-30lb. range!
Now the lakes at the golf course are "out of bounds" however, the small creek that feeds the golf course has many opportunities, some of which I will explore later tomorrow.
There is a terrific little fishing shop just down the road and I will head down there later, to pick up a few bass jigs and top water skippers. We will be heading to "The Ponds" this afternoon where I will be targeting large mouthed bass for the first time...I have some reliable info and a few spinnerblades I want to try out. More on this later...............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Good luck on your bass fishing adventure Ortho ..... are you hoping to make it out fishing for Mahi Mahi (Dolphin)??

Hope the weather guides are kind to you ....... yesterday was sunny and warm here ....... a beautiful day (+12 or so) ...... today ....... well let's just say .... YUK!!!

HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY!!

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
816 Posts

Sounds like your having a good time. If your looking into offshore fishing look up Cpt. Dave Ventura (sp?), he skippers a boat called Maui Dimond.
Here's a much smaller Big Jay with a nice Mahi Mahi:

I've always been fasinated by the night rock/cliff fishing they do for black ulua (giant trevally).
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well, I found out there are no bass on the Island of Maui. The cool looking very hungry little fish I have carefully scoped out are Talapia. They are mostly 3-9 inches long, but I have now heard of a small stream that is within an hour that has BIG Talapia to 1-2 lbs...Tomorrow, I will be heading over to the Island of Kauai where they do have bass and some of the largemouth can reach a weight of 4-5 lbs.
Thursday, I am heading out with Mike, who manages the complex and he is guaranteeing me somw fish...Looks like we will fish ultralight.......1-2 lb. test line, tiny reels and a lot a small scrappy fish....I'm ready!
Friday I am heading out to the back side of the Island of Lanai, where some large tuna have bveen caught the last few days. Yesterday, a fish of 218lbs was landed by the boat I am heading out with....Sounds good, but that was a really big fish, and a bit of a rare catch!!.....The boats head out at 3-4am and return around noon before the trade wins start to blow too heavily..........So,its off to bed with visions of a lot of fish on some super light tackle tomorrow..
Updates as soon as I can..........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Re: Maui Fishing Adventures Updated for Tuesday, Feb 12

Comments from the South. Best bass baits: top water (buzz baits, my color is white ones) or for running deeper, spinner baits, my colors black and white or black and yellow.

And the Maui/Maui mentioned above (called Dorado here, same fish) are a blast to catch, beautiful fish and recommend have one for dinner, they are outstanding. Good fishing. Salt.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Hey 'Salt Put a nice large fillet of Dorado (mahi mahi) on the BBQ last night. (about 2 lbs.) Squeezed some lemon and coconut oil on the fish then crusted it with a bunch of smashed up dijon mustard and honey kettle chips. About 3- 4 minutes each side. MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Tomorrow should be a fun day.......Heading over to Kauai early in the am and having lunch at.. Brenneckes Beach Broiler at Poipu Beach
After lunch we are heading to a small lake just north of the airport and we are going to try bassfishing for the first time. The lake we are going to has largemouth bass to 5lbs.......should be fun............ ;D
Today, we spent time snorkelling off the reef in front of the place we are staying and ran into large schools of reef fish. A couple of smaller jack crevelles came over to visit and they can be caught in the night from the shore. They will be on my list of targets with the night fish from the shore later this evening.The whales are everywhere...they are very acrobatic! :eek:
Friday will be a day on the high seas on board "Finest Kind", a beautiful 40 ft. Hatteras. We have to be at the dock at 4::45am with a 5am departure. This will be a 10hr. charter and I am sure we will catch some tuna,ahi.mahi mahi, ono and jack crevelle......at least I hope we do............and I will give you a full report of the action..........Aloha.......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Re: Maui Fishing Adventures on Valentine's Day...update

I am expecting pictures ortho!!!

Sounds like an exciting time over there. One day, one day! Maybe I'll plan my honeymoon over there.

·
Registered
695 Posts

i was in maui a couple of years ago and it's was awsome there,we did some snokling around the aqutic center there's a set of stairs taht lead you down to the beach front where all the locals seem to snokel and fish from.
enjoy you holidays :)

·
Registered
347 Posts

Been gone quite a bit, Ortho where is the update, final, pics here . Pls. May have missed them in here. Salt.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

My final installment is just a day or so away. The document I forwarded as well as the pics are still in my laptop and did not get to their destination......Will be up soon.....Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

The anticipation grows!!! Can't wait to hear about it Ortho.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts