BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a week up in Kamloops covering the dates above and fished the indicated lakes.

May 12: Lower Kane lake

I stopped at Lower Kane on the way up, arriving at about 2pm. I was using my v-boat, as my pontoon was in Kamloops at my sister's place. I put in about 4 hours on the water, fishing mostly leeches, booby flies and a few chironomids. No action at all.

May 13: Morgan lake

I got to Morgan at about 10am and put in a full day. Unlike when I was there two weeks earlier, the water was quite heavy with algae. The visibility was quite low. The weather was great, however, and I had a pretty decent day. The first couple of hours I did ok on small black chironomids with a red rib and white bead, picking up three or four fish. This died off in the afternoon, however, and noone on the lake (6 or 7 guys) was seeing any action. I searched through a few offerings, then found that a small black and green booby fished on a #2 sink about five feet down was the ticket. I pulled in another eight or nine fish over the next couple of hours - much to the apparent frustration of some of the other boaters.

Oh, all but a couple of the fish were in the 20"+ range, with a couple around 22-23".

May 14: Morgan lake

I decided to go back to Morgan and had a somewhat slower day. I spent about 6 hours on the water and picked up 7 fish.

May 15-16: Sick days :(

You don't want to know the details.

May 17: Scuitto lake

I hoofed up to Scuitto at about 10am and got to business. There was a thunderstorm brewing and a bit of wind, but nothing too bad. I cruised down to the east end, where there are a couple of small bays that were occupied by a couple of boats each. They seemed to be pulling in a few fish, with hits occurring while I watched. There were a few visible hatches coming off, with surprisingly large bombers floating about. I picked a couple of likely looking spots and tried both large and small chironomids. No luck. In about 4 hours, I tried half a dozen locations and various depths, with a few bites but no success. I guess all the fish were in those bays. :( Oh well.

Anyway, it was a fun trip. Plenty of fish to hand and some good action. I hope to get up again in the next few weeks.

Ciao

·
Registered
170 Posts
Kane is such a fickle lake early in the season.

If you don't have the perfect chironomid at the perfect depth at the perfect location, you won't get a thing.
Feeding on chironomids is such an easy meal for the fish, they are not interested in anything else at all.

I caught a large fish at Roche a few days ago and when I cleaned the fish, the stomach looked like a large cigar - jammed solid with chironomids.
The fish just easily cruise around slurping up the small bugs instead of chasing leeches all over the lake.

I have spent a lot of time researching and perfecting my chironomid technique but I don't think that I am ready to fish Kane again yet.

Sounds like great action at Morgan.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks for the report Eric. Too bad you you got sick on your fishing trip...

When you say Lower Kane is that the one closest to Harmon?? I have had a few good days there but many more skunkings. When you do get one they are usually a nice size..

Cheers

-RC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts