BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Numbers in test fishery have been extremely low. Fish are either late or potentially not coming. Still have a little time but they need to show up in a big way soon. We got a very depressing/poor return to Lake Washington this year and maybe theres some correlation with the Fraser returns. Our Lake Washington sockeye are looking like they will barely come in at 50% the predicted return. Hope it turns around real soon in the salt in both locations!

·
Registered
477 Posts
This is sad to hear but it has been happening for many years. More than I'd like to count! I am all for a prolonged province wide ban on the retention of Sockeye salmon. I say close it for twelve years and then re-open it with a 1 fish per day quota as well as a posession quota of only 2 fish. I used to catch sockeye in Alberni Inlet every summer and saw a very steep decline over the years. I have since stopped targeting them altogether. I'm even fine with closing the sockeye fishery for good. just my 2 bits...-Nathan in NW

·
Registered
120 Posts
probably dont need to go as far as a total ban (except for some stocks), but a daily limit of 1 and/or a annual limit of 10 or so would probably help (the honest anglers anyways).......but they should curtail the commercial fleet ( DFO probably wouldnt even think of that....at least not 'till Pattison is gone!) Comm. & FN take more fish in a day than anglers do all season........anglers put a whole lot more money into the economy and have the ability to release fish...where as gill nets kill everything! :2cents:

Another thing to do would to make the Fraser "Classified Waters"........would cut down alot of pressure, since alot of people wont pay the extra $15 and alot of fines could be handed out to idiot anglers.

Any which way it goes, you'll never make everyone happy :wallbash:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I posted a week or so ago on the arrival of the pinks/sockeye in the Port Hardy area....Well, they are there in large numbers now and so far are really BIG. My brother caught 4 this am and the smallest was over 8 lbs. One of them was a "hook" special (just kidding James).....of 12 lbs.!!.......So I would be looking in the Fraser in 2 weeks for any large number of fish...Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Tacheeda said:
probably dont need to go as far as a total ban Comm. & FN take more fish in a day than anglers do all season........anglers put a whole lot more money into the economy and have the ability to release fish...where as gill nets kill everything! :2cents:

Another thing to do would to make the Fraser "Classified Waters"........would cut down alot of pressure, since alot of people wont pay the extra $15 and alot of fines could be handed out to idiot anglers.
Since 2000 the average sport harvest is 1-3% (between 35,000 and 115,00 fish), the natives have averaged 45% between 800,000 and 1.8 million and the commies have averaged about 55% (between 1.2 and 3.5 million fish). Further regulation on the sporties for conservation is rediculous.

Regulation on the sporties is strictly to attempt to keep the FN's off the waters during the early Stuarts. We already know this is not working as the FN's continue to run set and drift nets throughout the Fraser Valley as I type this and have done so throughout the migration of the early stuarts. We are all the same when it comes to salmon greed :(

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
As much as I like to eat self caught sockeye I really would not mind if they close it to save the stocks for the future. I always take the month of August off for holidays to spend with the family and to do some fishing. This year it will hopefully be a week of fly fishing the squamish ( depends on numbers of course) or a week fly fishing the Skagit. But who knows maybe it will be both.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, I believe its the commercial harvesting that poses the most significant endangerment to the sockeye runs, the recreational pursuit of salmon stocks is hardly any cause for concern. Maybe its time to put people ahead of profits...
wait a minute, is this a bank commercial....

·
Registered
119 Posts
This conversation comes around every year this time. I don't think you will have to worry about a Sockeye season. The run will be here, Their runnning late like they have been for the last 5 years. Their catching lot's of them up north. Just think this time next month you will be standing in knee deep water relaxing with 500 other people 1 foot to either side you. :cheers:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have to agree that targeting the sport fishers is ludicrous when you consider the take of the commercial fleets :wallbash:. I hope the run is just late as it seems to be each year now. mmmmmmmmm :yummy: :yummy: sockeye,,,,,,

·
Registered
21 Posts
The fish are there...and have been for quite a while. Had a rather unpleasant talk with FN member three weeks ago. Heard they were drifting nets below Agassiz bridge three days a week from sundown to sunup averaging 70-80 fish per set.

During the frenetic peak of the sockeye season, you might have observed that there are times when the "bite is on" and just about anyone fishing in the area has a fish on at the same time. Then there might be a time where everything seems dead. I have long believed that the pattern demonstrated (you've no doubt experienced yourself) is caused by the spacing between driftnet sets just a little downriver from where you are fishing. What do you think?

Effective answers to salmon conservation do not begin with the sportfishers. Just seems were the only ones who really care. We're in it for the sport (or table fare), not for profit.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Effective answers do begin with sports fisherman.

With Sockeye the bite is never on and the whole fishery is derived from greed.

( EDITED )
Numbers throughout the Fraser system are low and DFO and most of us who have been around knew full well this was coming. The writing has been on the wall for years.
Next year is to be even worse regarding Sockeye numbers.
Chinook may be next.
Coho :'(, lets not even go there.

Sports anglers should always lead the way in conservation.

Accepting that Sockeye are hurting, following requests by DFO and hitting the pavement to put pressure on DFO to manage this $h!t NOW is the best course of action.

Seeking simply more fish for Harvest is both greedy and severly lacking in foresight.
Our childrens ability to enjoy sportfishing the Fraser for Salmon lies in the balance.

1 biting Chinook feeds an awfully lot of mouths :thumbup:.

·
Registered
176 Posts
finaddict said:
Tacheeda said:
probably dont need to go as far as a total ban Comm. & FN take more fish in a day than anglers do all season........anglers put a whole lot more money into the economy and have the ability to release fish...where as gill nets kill everything! :2cents:

Since 2000 the average sport harvest is 1-3% (between 35,000 and 115,00 fish), the natives have averaged 45% between 800,000 and 1.8 million and the commies have averaged about 55% (between 1.2 and 3.5 million fish). Further regulation on the sporties for conservation is rediculous.

Regulation on the sporties is strictly to attempt to keep the FN's off the waters during the early Stuarts. We already know this is not working as the FN's continue to run set and drift nets throughout the Fraser Valley as I type this and have done so throughout the migration of the early stuarts. We are all the same when it comes to salmon greed :(
WTF why is it the "powers that be" can't get it though their college edumacated brains :confused:, that netting be it commie or tribal , has way more impact on numbers taken out of a system, than sporties do.
I don't know the numbers, but I'd bet that a sports caught fish has 2-3 times the imact to the local economy that a net caught fish does.
The netters worst nightmare is a well organized and well funded group of sporties.
You may want to consider joining CCA (Coastal Conservation Association) http://www.joincca.org
Gary Loomis Founder of G Loomis rods is a member and advocate. :2cents:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Because its not politcally correct to bash the netters...Didn't you know, its all the recreational fishers fault :peace:....
Funny how certain segments of our society think they have more rights than the rest of us and the fish is more theirs :naughty:...
Trying to teach our children equality and fairness for all is getting awful difficult these days when our leaders have the morality and ethics of a toad...
There is only one set of standards in Canada, time for the legislators to realize that and inform DFO of the rights of all Canadians,not just the chosen few ... :wallbash:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
fishhog said:
WTF why is it the "powers that be" can't get it though their college edumacated brains :confused:, that netting be it commie or tribal , has way more impact on numbers taken out of a system, than sporties do.
I don't know the numbers, but I'd bet that a sports caught fish has 2-3 times the imact to the local economy that a net caught fish does.
It would depend on the species and location, but probably averages much higher than that.
We can do a quick extrapolation here;
A commie netted sockeye is worth a maximum of $5.00 per pound (about $30.00 based on an average sockeye being 6 lbs). A legally FSC FN netted fish is actually a net drain to the economy. No input and many millions to administer by the Feds. The truth is that FN fish sold illegally ( EDITED ) has a contribution to the economy. These fish are sold at an average of $10.00 per fish.

Official provincial government fisheries estimates place the Fraser valley sockeye fishery at $20 million contribution to the economy. If you divide this by 100,000 pieces (substantially more than the average harvest for the past 5 years), each fish would be worth about $200.

The netters worst nightmare is a well organized and well funded group of sporties.
You may want to consider joining CCA (Coastal Conservation Association) http://www.joincca.org
Gary Loomis Founder of G Loomis rods is a member and advocate. :2cents:
Unfortunately we are too fractured in our personal beliefs and continue to squabble amongst each other about methodolgies rather than unite to confront the allocations and the best return for each fish harvested. All the other user groups and the two levels of government love to watch us bicker amongst ourselves. We are our own worst enemies. ("I have seen the enemy and he is us") :confused:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a request, yes I am from the South, however, I have a love of fishing, wildlife and the outdoors, including B.C. Please open, the web site on Fish Hogs post, just above on, CCA, Coastal Conservation Association, founded as GGCA, Gulf Coast Conservation Association. I have shared this opinion with another long time member here of our web site, GCCA was founded in the late 1970's by a group of 12-14 serious fishermen here on the Texas Gulf Coast. Our coastal fishing was a disaster due to unlimted commercial fishing and neglect.

Guys , this is a slow process from the 1970's to today, this original group of a few has grown into an organization with very much influence on our Game and Fish Commissions, fishing regulations(catch limits etc). and impact on the political process. Now, most all major corporations here, Oil Company or tech and everything in the middle finds it worthwhile to support this effort. And, the fish numbers, here off the Gulf have recovered very well.

Just want you to think about it, will not happen today or next year, maybe a long term goal for some of you. Texas Salt.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.